PDA

View Full Version : Dual wield Barbarian

stoutstien
2018-03-06, 01:38 PM
With Xan out I've been trying to make a functional dual welding Barbarian seeing how the bonus action conflict makes it sub optimal for both player handbook options. Ancestral guardian has no conflict. Storm aura completely revolves around using bonus action. Lastly zealot is almost a perfect fit besides the lv 10 feature. Am I missing anything?

N810
2018-03-06, 03:27 PM
Smaller less manly dice... :thog:

Kidding aside, maybe get some levels in ranger,
I think they offer some benefits for dual wielders ?
or a couple of rogue levels to get swashbuckler ?

Ps. There is a conflict with berserker, since it uses the bonus action for an extra attack as well.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-06, 03:44 PM
Huh? Aside from entering rage, Totem Barbarian should have no problems with dual-wielding. It's not a bad way to maximize the Rage damage boost. Just dip a level of Fighter and rock out.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-06, 03:52 PM
Huh? Aside from entering rage, Totem Barbarian should have no problems with dual-wielding. It's not a bad way to maximize the Rage damage boost. Just dip a level of Fighter and rock out.

The only conflict I know of for Totem barbarian is the level 3 Eagle Totem feature which allows you to Dash as a Bonus Action. But Wolf and Bear are fine.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-06, 03:58 PM
The only conflict I know of for Totem barbarian is the level 3 Eagle Totem feature which allows you to Dash as a Bonus Action. But Wolf and Bear are fine.

Wolf 14 is a shove prone on bonus action if I remember correctly.

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-06, 04:09 PM
Wolf 14 is a shove prone on bonus action if I remember correctly.

Looks like the Elk and Tiger totems from SCAG have a level 14 BA effect as well, but does anyone take the Elk or Tiger totems?

GlenSmash!
2018-03-06, 04:23 PM
Looks like the Elk and Tiger totems from SCAG have a level 14 BA effect as well, but does anyone take the Elk or Tiger totems?

I like the level 6 tiger bonus skill profs, but that's about it.

Desteplo
2018-03-06, 05:33 PM
You don’t even need fighter dip if your taking this guy to 20
-that extra 40 health and 2 damage adds a total 6 damage
-otherwise if it’s a shorter campaign go for it

Totem you can choose which animal. You don’t have to pick the same animal per subclass feature. But as long as you aren’t fury or storm barbarian you’re fine

danpit2991
2018-03-06, 06:01 PM
how to dual wield dual wielding barbarians

step 1- be a giant

step 2- hold a barbarian in each hand by their legs and each barbarian has an ax in each hand

step 3- ????????

step 4- profit

EDIT bonus points if each barbarian is dual wielding dual wielding halflings

GlenSmash!
2018-03-06, 06:23 PM

step 1- be a giant

step 2- hold a barbarian in each hand by their legs and each barbarian has an ax in each hand

step 3- ????????

step 4- profit

Halflings dual wielding dual wielding pixies?

danpit2991
2018-03-06, 07:31 PM

congratulations you are the daily internet winner!!!!!!

Lombra
2018-03-06, 07:37 PM

step 1- be a giant

step 3- ????????

step 4- profit

The fractal-wielding giant.

Chugger
2018-03-06, 07:53 PM
Va Hum for the feat - one dip in fighter for the FS - and go to town.

Yes on round one you miss an extra attack if you use the b.a. to rage. Otherwise, there seems to be no conflict.

greenstone
2018-03-06, 09:56 PM

I take my hat off to everyone in that thread.

You, sirs and/or madams, have won the Internet.

But a serious comment on the thread - A barbarian holding two axes is a pretty archetypal figure (I have the Spawn Conan figures, both Conan and Skifell are dual wielding). However, dual wielding doesn't mean you have to use bonus actions to use both weapons. You can attack with the sword this round and the axe next round. Or, if you have Extra Attack, attack once with each of them in your Attack action.

Malifice
2018-03-07, 12:32 AM

Its a fractal pattern of dual weilding goodness!

CircleOfTheRock
2018-03-07, 04:26 AM
Might I sig this?

GlenSmash!
2018-03-07, 12:01 PM
Might I sig this?

Go right ahead!

GlenSmash!
2018-03-07, 12:08 PM
But a serious comment on the thread - A barbarian holding two axes is a pretty archetypal figure (I have the Spawn Conan figures, both Conan and Skifell are dual wielding). However, dual wielding doesn't mean you have to use bonus actions to use both weapons. You can attack with the sword this round and the axe next round. Or, if you have Extra Attack, attack once with each of them in your Attack action.

I've played a lot of Barbs, and form level 1 to 4 or 5 dual wielding Handaxes is a great way to go. More attacks means more bonus damage from Rage. It's only when GWM and PAM come into play that it loses steam in comparison.

3 levels of Ranger for Monster Slayer could give you the fighting style and Slayers Prey, but activating it will cost a bonus action. On subsequent turns though it will add damage to main hand and off hand attacks. With rage though it eats the first 2 rounds of bonus actions. :smalleek:

stoutstien
2018-03-07, 01:37 PM
My first idea was to use a battle axe round one two handed then pull out an other one or hand axe the second round.

Quoxis
2018-03-08, 10:42 AM
I've played a lot of Barbs, and form level 1 to 4 or 5 dual wielding Handaxes is a great way to go. More attacks means more bonus damage from Rage. It's only when GWM and PAM come into play that it loses steam in comparison.

It loses damage per hit, yes, but you potentially hit one more time per round, and though i‘m no mathematician, i think against three one-hit-ded mooks it’s better to hit all three instead of having to let one get away.
Also: you get to have two magic weapons at once, in case your DM hands those out. Ok, that‘s not great with two +1 weapons, but when the weapons have additional effects (like buffs/resistances for the wielder or bonus damage/save effects on the opponent) it gets interesting. Can’t decide whether to deal more damage or to have a buff? Use both weapons at once!

Finieous
2018-03-10, 01:49 PM
Va Hum for the feat - one dip in fighter for the FS - and go to town.

Or just take PAM and call it a day.

(Part 4,372,496 in the continuing series, "Why Two-Weapon Fighting Needs a Fix")