PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Optimizing An Encounter

Thurbane
2018-03-06, 03:59 PM
So, this one is a little urgent.

Once again RL has gotten in the way of my prep work.

I need help optimizing an enounter for tonight's (or possible next week's) session.

1 Jackal Lord (FF p.105) and 2 Harssafs (MM3 p.82): EL 10, 5206gp treasure.

They will be attempting to ambush the party at some point, in the desert, of course.

Party has just recently hit 9th: Human Warmage 6/Sand Shaper 3, Aasimar Paladin 9 (non-casting variant, two handed power attacker), Human Ranger 9 (non-casting variant; archery focused, riding dog AC) and Human Favored Soul 9 (NPC, mainly focused on healing, buffing and melee).

The Jackal Lord has Cleric 8 casting, so there's room for optimizing the spell selection. Also, with 5206gp, I was thinking of throwing in some expendable items to help the bad guys with the fight.

Jackal Lord:

Cleric 8 casting (with the Animal and Evil domains)
Summon jackals
Dominate animal (which it could use on the riding dog)
Curse of the Jackal (essentially a Baleful Polymorph gaze attack)
SLAS (cat's grace, disguise self, detect magic, detect good and suggestion at will; shadow walk 3/day); CL 15th; will most likely be using disguise self to pose as a Harssaf

Harssafs:

Sand pulse 1/day each (30 ft radius spread, reflex save or blinded 5 rounds + minor damage)
Sand form: like gaseous form, but sand

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers - T

flappeercraft
2018-03-06, 04:49 PM
Well the Harsaff obviously needs to get rid of that Alertness feat. I would reccomend something more optimal such as Martial Study. Also, change the Kukris for Crescent Knives foir more attacks.

As for the Jackal Lord. Get Surge of Fortune as one of the spells prepared and an Eternal Wand of Dolorous Blow. For his weapon of choice, make it a scythe. Change Dodge and Iron Will for Power Attack and Leap Attack. Now, before combat have the Jackal Lord use the Eternal Wand on himself and cast Surge of Fortune. He then does a Leap Attack with his Power Attack using +8 total for more damage. Total this dude would be doing a decent (2d4+26)x4 damage for an average of 124 damage. Of course that is if your group can handle a threat like that, if not then change from Scythe to a Heavy Pick which would deal instead (1d6+18)x4 for an average of 86 damage. If that is still too high then change the weapon to a Warhammer which would deal (1d8+18)x3 for an average of 67.5 damage.

Venger
2018-03-06, 06:32 PM
So, this one is a little urgent.

Once again RL has gotten in the way of my prep work.

I need help optimizing an enounter for tonight's (or possible next week's) session.

1 Jackal Lord (FF p.105) and 2 Harssafs (MM3 p.82): EL 10, 5206gp treasure.

They will be attempting to ambush the party at some point, in the desert, of course.

Party has just recently hit 9th: Human Warmage 6/Sand Shaper 3, Aasimar Paladin 9 (non-casting variant, two handed power attacker), Human Ranger 9 (non-casting variant; archery focused, riding dog AC) and Human Favored Soul 9 (NPC, mainly focused on healing, buffing and melee).

The Jackal Lord has Cleric 8 casting, so there's room for optimizing the spell selection. Also, with 5206gp, I was thinking of throwing in some expendable items to help the bad guys with the fight.

Jackal Lord:

Cleric 8 casting (with the Animal and Evil domains)
Summon jackals
Dominate animal (which it could use on the riding dog)
Curse of the Jackal (essentially a Baleful Polymorph gaze attack)
SLAS (cat's grace, disguise self, detect magic, detect good and suggestion at will; shadow walk 3/day); CL 15th; will most likely be using disguise self to pose as a Harssaf

Harssafs:

Sand pulse 1/day each (30 ft radius spread, reflex save or blinded 5 rounds + minor damage)
Sand form: like gaseous form, but sand

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers - T

If you're looking for an ambush, have the cleric throw down a haboob: since it sounds like you're doing a desert game, you might describe it as though a sandstorm's been kicked up (assuming the party fails spellcraft of course) and then in the impaired visibility, the harssafs can be flitting around in sand form to get into position while the party deals with the summoned jackals

Have the jackal lord in jackal form to keep the party disoriented. I advise against using curse of the jackal against your party since they don't have any way to counteract it and SoLs are no fun. Pretend he already used it that day or something.

from that point, the jackals can flank and the jackal lord can throw some spells around.

Thurbane
2018-03-06, 07:37 PM
I advise against using curse of the jackal against your party since they don't have any way to counteract it and SoLs are no fun. Pretend he already used it that day or something.

Would Resurgence allow a new save against the effect?

Venger
2018-03-06, 08:08 PM
Would Resurgence allow a new save against the effect?

Yes, since it's ongoing. That is, if the favored soul isn't the one who fails their save.