PDA

View Full Version : True Seeing crossed with Sense Motive

blue_fenix
2007-08-29, 12:51 PM
Is there currently any D&D spell or special ability that would allow a character to sense a target's goals and intentions, either toward the caster or in general? I know there's things like detect thoughts and such, but I'm more interested in something that you could cast at a group of adventures and discover that guy A wants to kill me, guy B is on a quest to avenge his sister, and guy C really just wants a pony.

If it were a spell, what level divination spell should it be?

Kurald Galain
2007-08-29, 12:59 PM
ESP, 2nd level divination spell, in 2E.

This was one of thouse spells which was totally ridiculous and would ruin most adventures unless the bad guy had a mind blank amulet, which is why it was replaced by Detect Thoughts.

What you're suggesting is something that shouldn't be all that hard for magic to do, but is very much plot-breaking, and so should be high level (6th?). Psionics probably has a way around this, though.

blue_fenix
2007-08-29, 01:04 PM
What you're suggesting is something that shouldn't be all that hard for magic to do, but is very much plot-breaking, and so should be high level

Agreed that it is a major plot-breaker. That's why I don't exactly plan on letting players use this in my campaigns, or at least not without very carefully considering spell level, limitations, etc. It's more of something I might want to give to a particular NPC for plot reasons. I mean, how does the sage know that these are really the Heroes of Destiny (tm) or whatever? It helps if he can at least confirm they are good in a way more meaningful than just Detect Good.

The_Snark
2007-08-29, 01:19 PM
There's a Detect Hostile Intent power, which does something of what you're wanting. It points the direction of anybody who actively seeks you harm you. As long as they're within 30 feet, anyway.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-29, 01:21 PM
I mean, how does the sage know that these are really the Heroes of Destiny (tm) or whatever?

Augury. Contact other plane. Divination.

Dausuul
2007-08-29, 01:23 PM
Agreed that it is a major plot-breaker. That's why I don't exactly plan on letting players use this in my campaigns, or at least not without very carefully considering spell level, limitations, etc. It's more of something I might want to give to a particular NPC for plot reasons. I mean, how does the sage know that these are really the Heroes of Destiny (tm) or whatever? It helps if he can at least confirm they are good in a way more meaningful than just Detect Good.

The way I personally approach it is to say the sage just Knows. That's what he does. He has 5 levels in the Mysterious All-Knowing Sage prestige class, a prerequisite for which is having spent 50 years studying the Scrolls of Plot. The last copy of which was destroyed in a fire two days ago.

Alternatively, he could just have a few scrolls of commune, which he uses whenever confronted by people claiming to be the Heroes of Destiny (tm).