PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cthulhu (CR 30 monster) PEACH

Requilac
2018-03-06, 08:05 PM
Hello playground, here today I will be will be finishing off my lovecraftian mini-supplement by creating the poster child of the cthulhu mythos itself, cthulhu! Originally I was hesitant to to start statting up great old ones, but after the third PM was sent to me requesting that I create cthulhu at the very least I decided to go with it. All of the information you need will be in the homebrewery document below. I took more than a little artistic liberties, because you know, statting up a creature whose main trait is its unfathomability is pretty close to impossible. But without further adieu I present to you the dreaming god himself, cthulhu. Any suggestions on how to improve our good old eldritch abomination buddy are much appreciated.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJHO4zOxOG

Fire Tarrasque
2018-03-09, 07:11 PM
Cthulhu is in no way, shape, or form the head honcho, even of his eponymous universe. Just the most famous one.
Otherwise:
Cool.
Edit: This seems above CR 30.
Also capitalization.

Requilac
2018-03-09, 08:07 PM
Cthulhu is in no way, shape, or form the head honcho, even of his eponymous universe. Just the most famous one.
Otherwise:
Cool.
Edit: This seems above CR 30.
Also capitalization.

Oh yes I am well aware cthulhu is not actually the leader of the Cthulhu mythos, when I meant head honcho I was mostly referring to that he is the leading symbol of Lovecraft’s work, not necessarily that he is strongest.

I will get to work on capitalizing in a few hours.

But what makes you think it is above CR 30? Check the DMG guidelines on page 274 about the expected stats for each monster in each CR. Cthulhu is actually below CR 30 speaking statistics wise, but a lot of his features such as aura of insanity, life drain and detect thoughts make it more powerful than the pure stats imply. But speaking pure statistical wise, cthulhu is inferior to the tarrasque who has better AC, DPR and attack bonuses. They are equal in regards to save DC and effective HP. This monster is certainly not over CR 30.