PDA

View Full Version : Nationbuilding IC Thread

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-06, 09:37 PM
Barony of Roubina

Alignment: NG (+2 Stability, +2 Loyalty)
BP/Treasury: 50
Consumption: 1
Control DC: 11 [Note: Base DC is 10 not 20 for 5e]
Economy: -12
Loyalty: +5
Population: 50
Size: 1
Stability: +7
Unrest: 0 [+1/turn]

Current Edicts:

Holidays: None -1 Loyalty, +0 Consumption
Promotion: None -1 Stability, +0 Consumption
Taxation: None +0 Economy, +1 Loyalty
Improvement: Can build 1 new settlement, 1 new building, 2 terrain improvements, and claim 1 hex

Settlement of Neriston

Population: 50 (Hamlet)
Base Value: 200 gp
Defense: 0
Corruption: 0
Crime: 0
Danger: 0
Law: 0
Lore: 0
Productivity: 0
Society: 0
District 1:
No Buildings Build, 36 empty lots

Current Roles:

Current Roles:
Ruler: Nerissa Roubis (JNAProductions) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507258)
Royal Enforcer: Kirnan the huntsman (Rhyvurg ) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507494)
Councilor: Seltyiel Goldwynn (Drakeburn) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507147)
High Priest: Aurthur (JbeJ275) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507894)
Diplomat: Malice (Feirgon) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1508078)

Role Impact:

From filled roles (except ruler) the nation gets:
Ruler: +4 Economy [Chosen]
Councilor: +4 Loyalty
High Priest: +3 Stability
Diplomat/General: +5 Stability
Royal Enforcer: +5 Loyalty
Total: +9 Loyalty +8 Stability

From unfilled roles, the nation is penalized (Note: Roles not filled by players can be filled by NPCs during the game)
Diplomat/General:-4 Loyalty (General)
Magister: -4 Economy
Marshal: -4 Economy
Spymaster: -4 Economy, +1 Unrest
Treasurer: -4 Economy, cannot collect taxes
Warden: -2 Loyalty, -2 Stability
Total: -16 Economy, +1 Unrest, -6 Loyalty, -2 Stability

The ruler can also choose to add their Cha bonus (+4) to either Economy, Loyalty or Stability.

Net (with the NG kingdom +2 Stability, +2 Loyalty) it looks like:
-12 Economy, +5 Loyalty, +8 Stability, +1 Unrest

Nerissa

First, you can rename the settlement and kingdom, I just gave them somewhat random names.

Secondly, you notice that a lot of things are falling in between the cracks, and you need more help. There are not a lot of options for filling the open roles you have. Most of the people brought along are busy trying to build the basics of your settlement. You could recruit from them, but it would be costly: 1 BP per recruit. Odds are very good they would be okay at whatever role you assigned them, but someone better may come along on a future ship. You can choose to recruit up to four NPCs this turn for one BP per NPC to assign to unfilled roles in the kingdom. I will generate statistics for them. You can expect them to be below lvl 4.

Personal Wealth: 500 gp

Kirnan

You've been installed as the Royal Enforcer, responsible for cracking heads and ensuring the law is brutally enforced. As such, you are a very public figure among the colonists. In the middle of the night, a cloaked figure approaches you. You cannot quite make out his face but he proposes something to you. He claims that one of the nearby hills has some valuable minerals in it, and if you keep others away from it, he will give you a sizeable cut.

What do you do?

Personal Wealth: 250 gp

Seltyiel

You have been appointed as the Coincilor to the kingdom, a very important role. As such, you are a very influential person. It doesn't take long for you to be approached by a young craftsman. He has a simple proposal for you. He thinks that if you formalize the foundation of a crafting guild, one separate from those of the old kingdom, it will inspire young, skilled craftspeople to flock to the area. However, it would also create a power block in the city for those craftsmen.

What do you do?

Aurthur

You've recently been appointed High Priest of this Kingdom, trusted with its spiritual guidance. With no temples or anything established yet, it is a difficult job, but one you find fulfilling. Until one day when a grim follower of one of the darker Gods approaches. He wishes permission to begin experimenting on a handful of bodies of those that perished on the journey, both humanoid and draft animals. He insists that the animated dead could be put to good use as tireless beasts of burden.

What do you do?

Malice

You've been appointed Diplomat to the fledgling kingdom, which seemingly has no nearby neighbors. One of the settlers approaches you, and in a hushed voice mentions that there is a nearby tribe of goblinoids that approached a foraging party. He mentions the fact that they seem very poorly armed, and could very easily be captured and used as forced labor. Doing so may harm future relations with the goblin tribes of the area. You could explore other options with the goblins.

What do you do?

As a general note, Personal Wealth is just a measure of your liquid assets, it does not take into account what you bought at game start or any left over gold from it. It can be used for things like buying magic items that will eventually become available, or paying agents or spies.

DM Notes:

+1 Law (Arthur)
+1 Productivity (Seltyiel)
New Power Center: Crafter's Guild (Seltyiel)

JNAProductions
2018-03-06, 10:02 PM
Nerissa, after helping where she can the disembarkation, gathers her council before her.

Well, here we are. A new world, a new land, a new beginning. First order of business-we're going to need houses and roads, so people can have a place to sleep and can move around without issues. We should look to the populace, see who would be suited for some more roles in government-we're competent, to be sure, but there's only so much we can personally do. In addition to that, I'd like to make sure these people have something to look forward to-we've just arrived today, but a year from now will be cause to celebrate, assuming we last that long, she says with a brief chuckle. What should we call this, our first day here? Colonization Day? Something like that?
Once we have the basics down, though, I'd like to see about constructing a space for more skilled workers. Smiths, carpenters, the like.

Also, we've got to name this place, Nerissa adds. "Roubina?" "Neriston"? I mean, I'm flattered, but let's find a name that fits the people, not just me.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-06, 11:34 PM
Kirnan listens to Nerissa silently, leaning against a tree. He wasn't much for government, but he knew the wilderness and what people needed to survive this close to it. "We need to worry about food sources and adequate shelter before bothering with names."

================================================== ======================

Kirnan listens to what this person has to say, trying to remember if he'd seen them on the ship. "How valuable are we talking here? What would building a mine entail? Do you have workers, an arrangement with a ship captain to export? Show me the site, and we'll work something out."

JbeJ275
2018-03-07, 04:36 AM
Aurthur rose from where he had been sitting consulting an elderly tome.

I agree that nourishment and shelter is a primary issue, one that disperses concerns limited to the pedantic until resolved.

=================================

Sire while I will not judge your for your inclinations regarding favoured members of the pantheon, the historical record shows a distinct lack of wisdom in open pursuit of these ideas. From Abbess Clarice of Rochtershire to High priest Martin of redvale men of the cloth involved in Necromancy are rarely recipients of beautification to say the least.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-07, 12:02 PM
Kirnan

"You can leave those details to me....so long as you keep people away from the forests south west of town, I'll make sure you get your cut." The man is definitely someone you met in passing on the ship, but had not really paid attention to. He has quite the average face, but you don't recall seeing him do much work around town setting things up or unloading the ships.

Arthur

"I thought the new land would be free of such unjust prejudices against my God's wishes....it is a shame I am wrong."

The issue has been resolved.

Neriston's Law has increased by 1.

Feirgon
2018-03-07, 02:32 PM
Malice

Malice nodded her head in agreement with Narissa's plans.

"I agree, there is only so much we individuals can do. Establishing a strong government will go a long way in securing our future here. Naturally, infrastructure will fall into place once that is complete."

Malice looks over at Kirnan then at Aurthur and then back to Narissa.

"As for what to name this place... that is something we should decide in the short term. Names can be very powerful and people will want to know how to refer to their new home. Though, we should see what resources and geography this land has to hold before we make such a decision."

---

Goblins? I should have expected as much.

"Thank you for informing me, I will present this information to the Baroness."

Malice entered the temporary council tent to speak with Narissa.

"I have been informed that there is a nearby primitive settlement of goblinoids. I believe it is in our best interest to speak with them. They may have knowledge of the area and could be interested in setting up a trade with us. Regardless of their disposition, I would like to see the size and capabilities of their settlement.

Unless you see fit for a different direction, I would need at least two guards to join me in this excursion."

JNAProductions
2018-03-07, 06:28 PM
I'll join... Nerissa begins, but realizes it's probably a bad idea. Well... What do we know of them? As the ruler of this colony, I can't simply put myself in danger, but at the same time,
if it would show them proper respect to have me visit...

Take two guards, if you need to. Learn more of them, and let me know what you find. Let them know that, should they wish to meet me, we can arrange a meeting.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-07, 09:59 PM
Kirnan shakes his head. "That's a lot of ground for one man to cover, and there's no standing military here to keep peasants away. I'll have to make a show of going off to 'scout' the area and claim I found something dangerous. But Nerissa is going to want to expand, whatever you're doing there do it fast." Taking his leave, he goes to find Nerissa. "There's someone in the settlement who thinks there's considerable mineral wealth in the woods south west of here, he asked me to keep people away in exchange for a cut. I like the version of the story better where I tell him I'll do it, then we get rid of them and exploit it ourselves."

JNAProductions
2018-03-08, 09:40 AM
Kirnan shakes his head. "That's a lot of ground for one man to cover, and there's no standing military here to keep peasants away. I'll have to make a show of going off to 'scout' the area and claim I found something dangerous. But Nerissa is going to want to expand, whatever you're doing there do it fast." Taking his leave, he goes to find Nerissa. "There's someone in the settlement who thinks there's considerable mineral wealth in the woods south west of here, he asked me to keep people away in exchange for a cut. I like the version of the story better where I tell him I'll do it, then we get rid of them and exploit it ourselves."

We are not going to hurt our own people! Nerissa says. No one disappears. That being said, I want this made clear to everyone who's settling here-we are in this together. If you find something that we can all use, I'll make sure you get proper credit and rewards for it, but you don't keep it to yourself.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-08, 02:36 PM
"He's asking me to make sure you receive nothing from whatever this mineral source is. I got him to tell me roughly where it's located, I'm going looking for it later, but they're trying to exploit this land that's rightfully yours."

Drakeburn
2018-03-08, 06:26 PM
"That does sound like a splendid idea." Seltyiel replied to the young craftsman, rubbing his chin as he thought about the idea of a crafting guild.
"I'll be sure to pass that on to Baroness Nerissa to see what she thinks of it."

Seltyiel stays quiet during the council meeting, listening to Kirnan and Nerissa discuss an issue about an individual wanting to exploit the one of the land's natural resources.

He waits for when their conversation is done so that he may present his issue about having a crafting guild in the kingdom. While it would certainly attract more craftsmen to the land, what Seltyiel worried about was how long would this crafting guild keep taking in new craftsmen before deciding that they didn't need anymore. If that did happen, life for any craftsmen who are not affiliated with the guild would find a hard time making a living because of the power the guild would yield. He thought it would be better if there was no guild to crush anybody they would see as their competition. After all, this settlement was a new one, so surely craftsmen will come to the land anyways. There is no doubt that there will be plans to expand sometime in the near future, so there will be plenty of work for any craftsmen that come to their kingdom.

But he figures he'd get a second opinion about his matter. After all, he wasn't the ruler of this settlement. Nerissa was, and he believed it would be safer to have her hear about he has to say before he does anything.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-08, 06:36 PM
Malice

You leave the settlement with two human men, decked in very poor fitting leather jerkins and each with a spear and simple wooden shield. The weapons and armor definitely looked like they had been long lost in storage somewhere. It takes you the better part of the day to find the goblin encampment....it looks to be a tribe of about thirty goblins altogether, with maybe 20 adults and the rest children. They seem very hostile and wary at your approach.

JNAProductions
2018-03-08, 07:24 PM
Seltyiel? You've been quiet, Nerissa says. Do you have anything to add?

Feirgon
2018-03-08, 10:25 PM
Malice

As the three walked to the goblin camp, she informed the two "guards" that they need simply to look like they are able to fight. But warned them to keep their composure and follow her orders.

When they finally approached the encampment, she told the two with her to stay behind her and to not to enter the encampment. She stepped forward with her hands open outward, holding as non-threatening demeanor as possible. Then, using her Circlet of Comprehend Languages, she began to speak.

"I mean no harm. I wish only to speak with your leader."

Let me know if you want to fast-forward the RP.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-08, 11:20 PM
Malice

The goblins do not appear to understand you and continue to act defensively. What you can overhear them speaking, they are confused as to why you are approaching them and are cautious about interacting with you. They are not happy having your settlement so close to theirs.

Comprehend Languages allows you to understand them, but does not grant the ability to speak their language. They do not appear to understand common.

Drakeburn
2018-03-09, 12:04 AM
"I just didn't want to be rude and interrupt anybody m'lady." Seltyiel answered.
"Though I do actually have something in mind. Someone has approached me with the idea of having a crafting guild in our kingdom. While it might attract more craftsmen to our kingdom, I'm concerned that this guild might not take in all the craftsmen who come to our land. If that is the case, the guild might use their power to make life difficult for any craftsman who is not affiliated with them. Anyways, I would like to hear what you have to say about the subject, m'lady."

JNAProductions
2018-03-09, 02:43 AM
"I just didn't want to be rude and interrupt anybody m'lady." Seltyiel answered.
"Though I do actually have something in mind. Someone has approached me with the idea of having a crafting guild in our kingdom. While it might attract more craftsmen to our kingdom, I'm concerned that this guild might not take in all the craftsmen who come to our land. If that is the case, the guild might use their power to make life difficult for any craftsman who is not affiliated with them. Anyways, I would like to hear what you have to say about the subject, m'lady."

I believe that having a guild is probably more to our benefit than our detriment, Nerissa says, blushing slightly at the "m'lady" bit. Having them-the craftsmen, that is-work together will allow them to accomplish more than staying separate would. I do understand your concern, and it merits keeping a close eye on the guild to ensure they are inclusive, rather than exclusive.

Drakeburn
2018-03-10, 01:05 AM
I believe that having a guild is probably more to our benefit than our detriment, Nerissa says, blushing slightly at the "m'lady" bit. Having them-the craftsmen, that is-work together will allow them to accomplish more than staying separate would. I do understand your concern, and it merits keeping a close eye on the guild to ensure they are inclusive, rather than exclusive.

Seltyiel has a hint of a smile on his face when he sees Nerissa blush, but it vanishes when she voices her favor for having a crafting guild in the kingdom. He was more worried rather than upset, but he did his best to not show his displeasure for the decision.
After all, he doesn't want to do anything behind her back. She is the Baroness of the land after all.

"Very well then." Seltyiel said with a cheerful tone.
"We shall have a crafting guild here."

"There you are!" Seltyiel said loudly as he found the young craftsman who came to him before.
"I have good news! He says excitedly as he comes over the young craftsman.
"I have consulted with Baroness Nerissa about your proposal, and she likes the idea of having a crafting guild here! Therefore, we can and will make the founding of this guild happen!"

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-13, 08:49 PM
Malice
Using other languages doesn't seem to have much of a change in their demeanor. You get the idea that if you stick around much longer without progress they may become hostile. They seem very on edge.

Seltyiel
The man is very grateful for permission to start the guild, and begins to make preparations to found the guild.

The Productivity of Neriston increases by 1.

A new Power Center has been established: The Crafters Guild

This issue has been resolved

Rhyvurg
2018-03-13, 08:58 PM
Kirnan leaves the settlement and heads southwest into the woods, seeing if he can find the camp of the man who had approached him.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-13, 09:12 PM
Kirnan
It isn't that hard to find his camp after a little searching. He is not present, but he left his tent set up and the ashes of a recent fire.

Feirgon
2018-03-13, 10:10 PM
Malice

Seeing that her none of her words are getting through, she backs away non-threateningly. When she reaches her two guards, she tells them to follow her back to the settlement.

It seems I will need to some studying on goblinoid to get anywhere. I may also have to check if we have any spell scrolls that could aid in this endeavor.

Malice walks with her two guards quietly thinking to herself all the way back to the settlement.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-13, 10:34 PM
Kirnan observes from a short distance, not entering the camp. He makes a wide circle of the area, looking for where their dig site might be, or tracks that could lead him there.

[roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-14, 10:56 AM
Malice
You return to the settlement safely.

This event is unresolved and may arise in later turns.

Kirnan

The man's tracks are easy enough to pick up, but they seem to just wander around the area several times. You don't find any clear indications of any sort of digging or mining of any sort. You do find the bodies of two small goblins that have had their throats cut. They have been hidden in the underbrush about five hundred feet away from the camp.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-14, 09:02 PM
With no clear leads, Kirnan returns to the settlement. He'd play along, but when the mine itself became evident he had every intention of handing it over to the crown.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-15, 06:36 PM
Kirnan

You head back to town, unsure of what will happen from the man and his "mining operation."

This event is unresolved. It may have an influence on future turns.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-18, 10:04 PM
Start of turn Notes:

Economy check from last turn income: [roll0] / 3 [+9 BP]

Upkeep:
Treasury is at 13 BP at turn start
Stability check vs DC: 11 [roll1] +1 BP
Consumption is 1 (BP: 13)
No Magic Items to slot
No stats below 0 to increase unrest

We are now in the Edict Phase

Y1 M2
Barony of Roubina

Alignment: NG (+2 Stability, +2 Loyalty)
BP/Treasury: 13
Consumption: 1
Control DC: 11 [Note: Base DC is 10 not 20 for 5e]
Economy: +16
Loyalty: +6
Population: 50
Size: 1
Stability: +8
Unrest: 0

Current Edicts:

Holidays: One +1 Loyalty, +1 Consumption
Promotion: Token +1 Stability, +1 Consumption
Taxation: Normal +2 Economy, -2 Loyalty
Improvement: Can build 1 new settlement, 1 new building, 2 terrain improvements, and claim 1 hex

Settlement of Neriston

Terrain Improvements:
Farm (-2 Consumption)
Road (no bonuses yet)
Population: 50 (Hamlet)
Base Value: 1200 gp
Defense: 0
Corruption: 0
Crime: 0
Danger: 0
Law: 2
Lore: 0
Productivity: 3
Society: 0
District 1:
House
Guild Hall (Crafter's Guild)
33 empty lots

Centers of Power:
Crafter's Guild

Current Roles:

Current Roles:
Ruler: Nerissa Roubis (JNAProductions) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507258)
Royal Enforcer: Kirnan the huntsman (Rhyvurg ) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507494)
Councilor: Seltyiel Goldwynn (Drakeburn) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507147)
High Priest: Aurthur (JbeJ275) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1507894)
Diplomat: Malice (Feirgon) (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1508078)

Role Impact:

From filled roles (except ruler) the nation gets:
Ruler: +4 Economy [Chosen]
Councilor: +4 Loyalty
High Priest: +3 Stability
Diplomat: +5 Stability
Royal Enforcer: +5 Loyalty
Total: +9 Loyalty +8 Stability
Magister: +3 Economy
Marshal: +3 Economy
Spymaster: +3 to Economy, Stability or Loyalty (choose each turn) [Not included above]
Treasurer: +2 to Economy

From unfilled roles, the nation is penalized (Note: Roles not filled by players can be filled by NPCs during the game)
General:-4 Loyalty
Warden: -2 Loyalty, -2 Stability
Total: -16 Economy, +1 Unrest, -6 Loyalty, -2 Stability

The ruler can also choose to add their Cha bonus (+4) to either Economy, Loyalty or Stability.

Net (with the NG kingdom +2 Stability, +2 Loyalty) it looks like:
-12 Economy, +5 Loyalty, +8 Stability, +1 Unrest

NPC Advisors:

Kehur Dathrekt (Spymaster)

lvl 3 human male scholar
16 hp
STR 9 (-1)
DEX 11 (+0)
CON 13 (+1)
INT 16 (+3)
WIS 15 (+2)
CHA 14 (+2)

Skills: History +5 Religion +5 Arcana +5 Investigation +5

Special Abilities:
Linguist: Kethur can learn additional languages through study and exposure. Every week of exposure to a language he can roll an intelligence check. On a roll of 15+ he succeeds in picking up more of the language. After ten successes, he permanently learns the language. He has disadvantage on these rolls unless assisted by someone who speaks a language he knows and the language he is trying to learn.

Bookworm: Mostly of the written knowledge of the world could passed by his hands. When rolling any knowledge skill that he is proficient, on a failure the schollar can roll a Investigation check to remember who/where in the world could have that info

Feather and Ink: The scholar can write anything two times faster than any normal adventurer.

Erag (Treasurer)

lvl 2 male half-orc craftsman
11 hp
STR 12 (+1)
DEX 8 (-1)
CON 13 (+1)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 15 (+2)
CHA 14 (+2)

Skills:
Intimidation +4 Insight +4 Persuasion +4 Investigation +3 History +3

Special Abilities:
I Know my job: If the artisan don't have a item that can be made with a tool that he is proficient, he know with some precision where, how long and how much it will take to find/make it. He must make a WIS check vs DC to succeed, the DM must choose the DC accordingly to the item rarity. He is considered proficient with that check.

And we make our profession: Mostly of the artisans are members of a guild and they can easily send messages to each other within a normal horse travelling day without spending money. This can be used to alarm others from thieves and burglars, or any other news.

Tool Proficiency: The artisan is proficient with a number of tools equal to his WIS modifier (at least one). He can also choose to spent 'two' of this points to be expetise with a tool, doubling its proficiency. (Erag has expertise in blacksmithing)

Venefiq (Magister)

lvl 4 male half-elf arcanist
22 hp
STR 9 (-1)
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 13 (+1)
INT 15 (+2)
WIS 13 (+1)
CHA 16 (+3)

skills:
Arcana +4 History +4 Investigation +4 Persuasion +5

special abilities:
Special Abilities
Arcane Recovery: During a short rest the arcanist can recover one spell slot of a first level.
Spellbook: The most valuable possession of a mage is his spellbook. Mostly of his spells are written there. All known spells by the arcanist and 1 extra per hit die are written there.

spells:
Spellcasting. the Arcanist is an 4th-level wizard. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 12, to hit with spell attacks +4)
Cantrips (at will): Mending, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Ray of Frost,
1st level (4 slots): Burning Hands, Witch Bolt, Tenser's Floating Disk, Feather Fall, Detect Magic, Jump, Mage Armor,
2nd level (3 slots): Alter Self,

Dungarth (Marshal)

lvl 3 female dwarf
25 hp
STR 13 (+1)
DEX 10 (+0)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 8 (-1)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 12 (+1)

skills: Religion +1 Insight +5

special abilities:
Potion of Healing: The healer carries a potion of healing (2d4+2 healing as a action) and a Healer's Kit.
Chosen of Gods: Once per week, as an act of incredible courage the acolyte can sacrifice himself to protect other. The DM can roll a d20 and add acolyte CR to this roll. If the check gets 20 or more the acolyte can receive one of the random bonuses: Regain one spell slot of his greater slot available; Maximize the healing of a spell, grant one target resistance/advantage against the next damage/saving throw.

spells:
Spellcasting. the Acolyte is an 3rd-level cleric. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, to hit with spell attacks +5)
Cantrips (at will): Produce Flame, Chill Touch, Sacred Flame,
1st level (4 slots): False Life, Purify Food and Drink, Animal Friendship, Speak with Animals, Fog Cloud, Cure Wounds,
2nd level (2 slots): Suggestion, Find Traps,

Nerissa

The settlement of Neriston has gained the following stats due to councilor actions last turn:
+1 Law, +1 Productivity, new center of power: Crafter's Guild

The citizens are demanding that, with a goblin tribe so near, a barracks be built for the training and arming of a guardsmen force. If this demand is not met by the end of next turn, unrest will increase by 1 each turn until it is built. This demand can be suppressed with a succesful loyalty check, but that decreases loyalty by 2 and increases unrest by 1.

Additionally, word has reached your ears that two of the members of your kingdom have gone missing: a young married couple went south-west of town and have not been seen in a few days.

As a note, you are not taking any salary nor are you paying your councilors anything. You could spend 1 BP per turn to pay each councilmember 125gp (including NPCs) You could also take a salary of 500gp for every BP you chose to spend.

Also, your spymaster gets a floating bonus to any one of the three stats. You can change this every turn, and it will impact all rolls until the next turn. Let me know what you want to do with it.

Personal Wealth: 500 gp

Kirnan

Word reaches your ears of items going missing recently. It seems that anyone who leaves the settlement for any reason, whether to gather wood or other supplies or just for a short walk, will return with one or more of the items missing from their tent. Clearly some kind of thievery is afoot.

What do you want to do?

Seltyiel

As you travel through the tent city that is your town, you notice more and more folks lazing about and not really doing very much. Once they see you in sight, they quickly begin to look busy, but none seem too concerned with actual work. Nobody is starving or anything quite yet, and progress is being made everywhere, but it certainly is troubling that so soon people are becoming lazy.

Aurthur

Your friend, the craftsman, whose name you now know is Jacob, approaches you again. He wishes to create a great masterpiece to commemorate the founding of the kingdom. He has a stonemason ready to do so, but would need some support and the blessing of the council to do so. What do you want to do?

Malice

Several members of the newly formed craftsmen's guild have twisted your ear about a common demand. They all appear to want to establish a sawmill in the nearby forests to process wood more easily to help build up the town. However, you know from personal experience that those woods house several goblin tribes who may not take kindly to the expansion.

What do you want to do?

As a general note, Personal Wealth is just a measure of your liquid assets, it does not take into account what you bought at game start or any left over gold from it. It can be used for things like buying magic items that will eventually become available, or paying agents or spies.

DM Notes:

JNAProductions
2018-03-18, 10:44 PM
Time has passed. Nerissa, still living out of some of the earlier tents set up before buildings were made, calls another meeting with her advisers.

It seems we have two issues-one I'd like to address, and one the people would like addressed. The people are concerned about the goblins near us-they want a barracks built, so we can have a militia force. I'm not against the idea-the world is a dangerous place, and having teeth to fight back is hardly a bad idea. But I'd rather make friends than enemies, so I still want to see if we can open dialogue with the goblin tribes, she begins. My personal issue is that we have a missing couple. Now, while I hope they simply got excessively drunk and wandered off, I want to see them safe. We're small enough that we can't afford to lose people like that, and moreover, I personally will not stand for our people being preyed upon.

As a minor other issue, none of us currently have a paycheck, she adds with a quiet laugh. Obviously the barony's wealth is my own, but should the rest of you wish to receive more than lodgings and whatnot,
please let me know. We'll discuss what would be a fair payment.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-18, 11:55 PM
Kirnan coughs from his usual place at the fringe of the group. "We also have a problem with theft, things are going missing from people's tents when they're absent. But I'll handle that. I'll also find that missing couple and scout the goblins, the more we know about them the better position we'll be in to negotiate."

Feirgon
2018-03-19, 09:55 AM
Malice

"As to dialogue with the goblin tribes, I hope to bridge the language barrier sooner rather than later. But I also believe we should look in other directions for more available space to expand, if possible, away from the goblin tribes.

And to the matter of a stipend, it is important that we maintain our station within the colony. An appropriate income would do well to influence that."

JbeJ275
2018-03-19, 10:06 AM
Time has passed. Nerissa, still living out of some of the earlier tents set up before buildings were made, calls another meeting with her advisers.

It seems we have two issues-one I'd like to address, and one the people would like addressed. The people are concerned about the goblins near us-they want a barracks built, so we can have a militia force. I'm not against the idea-the world is a dangerous place, and having teeth to fight back is hardly a bad idea. But I'd rather make friends than enemies, so I still want to see if we can open dialogue with the goblin tribes, she begins. My personal issue is that we have a missing couple. Now, while I hope they simply got excessively drunk and wandered off, I want to see them safe. We're small enough that we can't afford to lose people like that, and moreover, I personally will not stand for our people being preyed upon.

As a minor other issue, none of us currently have a paycheck, she adds with a quiet laugh. Obviously the barony's wealth is my own, but should the rest of you wish to receive more than lodgings and whatnot,
please let me know. We'll discuss what would be a fair payment.

If I may revert discussion to the objective regarding diplomacy towards the goblinoid civilization, I am granted the ability to for a certain period bestow upon a person the comprehension of all languages and to ensure they are comprehended in turn. I believe me bestowing this temporary ability upon our diplomat could ensure maximal understanding without limiting our own persuasive abilities.

Additionally, I had hoped to secure council support on another area, there has been significant support among certain groups for the construction of a great monument noting our settlement in this new land and advocating for new glories. I believe the construction of such a monument would lead to a significant increase in morale amongst the populace.

Feirgon
2018-03-19, 10:14 AM
If I may revert discussion to the objective regarding diplomacy towards the goblinoid civilization, I am granted the ability to for a certain period bestow upon a person the comprehension of all languages and to ensure they are comprehended in turn. I believe me bestowing this temporary ability upon our diplomat could ensure maximal understanding without limiting our own persuasive abilities.

Malice

Malice turns to Aurthur.

"I wish I had known this earlier. It could have saved me some time and fruitless effort. However, if this is true, I think it is the colony's best interest if you were to join me on the next diplomatic mission to the goblin tribes."

JbeJ275
2018-03-19, 10:18 AM
Malice

Malice turns to Aurthur.

"I wish I had known this earlier. It could have saved me some time and fruitless effort. However, if this is true, I think it is the colony's best interest if you were to join me on the next diplomatic mission to the goblin tribes."

I would be glad to do so, merely notify me at least a day before the departure and I’ll ensure nothing prevents me from accompanying you.

Drakeburn
2018-03-19, 02:35 PM
"Funnily enough," Seltyiel says as he also turns to Malice.
"I can also be of assistance as well. I know a few spells that can be of great help to your mission, should you need them. Though I am confident in Aurthur's abilities to aid you on your diplomatic mission."

JNAProductions
2018-03-19, 04:19 PM
A monument can wait, I believe, Nerissa says. We're hardly in a position to be vainglorious, after all. Perhaps that can be something to look forward to on our first year's anniversary?

And, she continues, Would it be possible for me to speak directly with the goblin leaders, or at least their diplomats? I want to be be able to show them we're serious when we offer peace.

Feirgon
2018-03-20, 01:39 PM
Malice

Malice nods to Nerissa.

"With Arthur's help, I am hoping to bridge the communication gap that currently exists. If possible, I would like to leave as soon as tomorrow."

She looks to Arthur to see his response.

"However, if this fails to bring about a peaceful channel of communication, I do think we should explore and expand in other directions. I am already getting pressure from some settlers to encroach on goblin territory. If we could placate this pressure by redirecting it, we could buy more time to work out a diplomatic solution before a more hostile one is taken."

JbeJ275
2018-03-20, 03:56 PM
Tomorrow seems eminently suitable, I shall begin readying imminently and be ready to depart soon after.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-24, 06:31 PM
Malice and Arthur

It is far easier to find the encampment this time, as you've been here previously, Malice. Again, it looks to be a tribe of about thirty goblins altogether, with maybe 20 adults and the rest children. They seem very hostile and wary at your approach. Your previous failures to communicate have not left them in a very friendly mood.

One of the larger male goblins stands forward his arms crossed and speaks in a language you do not understand.

He is demanding to know why the riders of tree corpses who lasso the clouds have come to this land.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-24, 09:27 PM
With no objections or replies forthcoming, Kirnan goes to speak with the people who'd had their possessions stolen, asking about what time of day the crimes occurred, what was taken, and if they had seen anyone suspicious.

Feirgon
2018-03-26, 03:07 PM
Malice

"We have come to this land to build a new home. It is in this interest that we have come here today. Our hope is that we can live peacefully and share knowledge.

I, personally, believe we can learn much from each other."

I am assuming Arthur cast his spell on me.

JbeJ275
2018-03-26, 03:32 PM
As Malice speaks, Arthur brandishes a small clay model of a Ziggurat and allows the divine knowledge to fill Malice’s head for the time being, without anyway to understand their talking himself he instead patiently watched the goblins attempting to understand their symbols and how these creatures denoted authority.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-27, 07:27 PM
Malice and Arthur

"You come to steal our earth.....your men steal the minds of our warriors. Your kind bear dark winds." The chieftain says. Even with magical help, it is hard to discern his exact meaning.

Kirnan

You ask around town, and find several victims of theft. It seems odd to you. Few people have much of value, but those that did have something of value left behind did not have it stolen. Instead things like spare clothes, stored food and drink, and firewood were taken. Nobody has managed to catch a look at the thief.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-27, 08:48 PM
Someone looking to get by, not get ahead. Not enough to go on for a stakeout, he'd have to wait for an opportunity to present itself. But the lack of guards would need to be addressed. In the mean time, he had more pressing concerns. Going to the tent of the couple who vanished, Kirnan looks to pick up a trail.

[roll0]

Feirgon
2018-03-29, 01:41 PM
Malice

"We do not come to take anything. We wish, simply, to create a new home. And...you have met others like us here?"

Steal minds?....I hope that isn't I what I think it means...

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-29, 05:42 PM
Kirnan
You find the tent without much difficulty. Unfortunately it is very difficult to make out any tracks or signs of the couple as a number of folks have traveled around the tent since they were last spotted. Looking through their possessions, you find travel cloaks and some stored food, things that they likely would have taken with them if they were planning on travelling for any amount of time.

Malice and Arthur

"None who have stolen your face....except when you were before us during the last moon. Your mind seems the same as then. If it was not you, then someone has stolen your face."

The goblin stands a little taller. "This is our earth. We will clash spears upon it before we allow it stolen. If you are Motherless, we cannot clash spears. If you are motherless, then our mother will embrace you. Except for the foul wind who steals minds....that face will not be embraced by our mother. That face we will clash spears with, motherless or not."

Feirgon
2018-03-29, 06:40 PM
Malice

"What is this foul wind you speak of? How does it steal minds? And is this something we can help you with?"

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-29, 07:02 PM
Malice and Arthur
"The dark winds came with your kind in the corpse of trees. Its lair is among the living trees. It feasts on the minds of those who wander near it."

Feirgon
2018-03-29, 07:06 PM
Malice

"Would you be willing to show us where this dark wind comes from?"

Malice glances at Arthur.

"We don't need to get too close, but close enough that we can see where these living trees are."

Rhyvurg
2018-03-29, 07:40 PM
Kirnan asks around for anyone who saw them leave, trying to get a bearing for where to start looking.

tigerusthegreat
2018-03-29, 08:49 PM
Kirnan
Unfortunately, nobody you talk to knows where they went. One person thought they saw them heading north, another said west, but the original report said they had been seen in the woods to the south-west of town. There's a lot of conflicting information for sure.

Malice
"My fast walkers will show you where the trees live. They are brave and bear our mother's favor, but they will not go close to the dark wind."

He signals with his hands and two female goblins, clad from head to toe in green and brown clothing approach. Around their necks are wrapped loosely fitting green and brown cloths, and they carry a pair of short spears and a hide buckler. Slung accross their backs are wooden cases made of strips of bark bound with some kind of animal sinew and a small hide buckler. They watch you and the chief impatiently.

Rhyvurg
2018-03-29, 09:02 PM
With no other recourse, Kirnan walks the edge of the camp, looking for a pair of tracks going into the woods alone. Lovers would not likely go where others frequented, they would want seclusion. So well-trod paths can be dismissed.

[roll0]

Feirgon
2018-03-30, 01:54 PM
Malice

"Very well."

She addresses the two guards.

"Await our return at the settlement."

"Arthur, do you wish to join me?"

JbeJ275
2018-03-30, 02:59 PM
I believe I will, this seems a great opportunity to learn about this new land although I must note that I understood little of what was spoken there. While you have divine understanding of them that ability did not carry over to myself.

Feirgon
2018-03-30, 04:12 PM
Malice

"Ah, very sorry. That did slip my mind.

There is a threat to these goblins and they believe us to be related to the threat. They can get us close to the threat and point us in the right direction. Once we know what we are dealing with, I plan on reporting back to the baroness and working out a plan.

If we can relieve the threat to the goblins, they may be more willing to enter into peaceful communication. As it stands, that isn't possible.

A brief warning, he claims that this threat can steal minds. Which leads me to believe that we are talking about a caster."

She turns to the goblin leader.

"My friend and I are ready to go."

tigerusthegreat
2018-04-02, 07:54 PM
Kirnan
After spending most of the day looking, you manage to find a pair of tracks that seems to be what you are looking for a few hundred feet into the woods to the south west of town. You could continue to follow the path deeper into the woods, but it will definitely be dark before too long.

Malice and Arthur
The two "fast walkers" live up to their name, as you struggle to keep up with their grueling pace. They seem to be making jokes to each other at your expense. After about 40 minutes of travel you arrive in a thicker part of the woods. You believe you are roughly south west of town a few miles. One of the "fast walkers" motions to the thicker part of the woods. "The Mind Stealer lairs there. The High Seat has made all houses swear not to enter, or we would clash spears with the Foul Wind."

Rhyvurg
2018-04-03, 04:52 AM
Kirnan picks up the pace, a night in the woods was nothing new to him, but that couple could be lost or injured, the sooner he found an answer the better.

Feirgon
2018-04-03, 03:01 PM
Malice

"Thank you."

Confident in her abilities, Malice moves, cautiously, in the direction the goblins had pointed. She hopes to get a feel for any auras in the area or spot something more discernible than the trees.

JbeJ275
2018-04-03, 05:34 PM
Clasping his holy Symbol Arthur moves up towards the trees alongside Malice, as he does so he considers his significant knowledge of arcane lore looking for the likely possibilities involving mindstesling and foul winds.

[roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2018-04-08, 08:38 PM
Kirnan

After about half an hour you lose the trail. You try retracing your steps to pick it back up again, but when you are searching in the underbrush you find a hand, severed slightly above the wrist from the body. The stump has dried blood on it, but there's no trace of blood on the ground nearby.

Malice and Arthur

Arthur's knowledge seems to point in one of two directions: Either a powerful enchanter, or a powerful necromancer. In either case, the "mind" of the being would appear to be stolen. Foul winds would hint more at necromancy than enchantment.

Malice moves forward cautiously. Before he can get too close, he notices some movement in the underbrush up ahead.

Rhyvurg
2018-04-08, 10:03 PM
Kirnan puts the hand in his pouch so at worst there'll have something to bury, then starts searing the the area in a slowly expanding spiral.

[roll0]

Feirgon
2018-04-08, 11:32 PM
Malice

Malice pauses at the movement. She readies a spell in case whatever caused the movement gets closer.

"Arthur, there's movement up ahead." She whispers without moving her head, hoping that Arthur hears her warning.

Preparing to cast Misty Step if the rustling gets closer, will target an empty space 30 feet to her left.

tigerusthegreat
2018-04-09, 09:24 PM
Kirnan, Malice and Arthur
Malice prepares his spell, and after a moment, Kirnan stands tall out of the bush tucking something into his pouch. The three of you recognize each other and are a little surprised to have come across one another deep in the woods. By now it is around dusk and the woods are getting dark.

Feirgon
2018-04-10, 10:22 PM
Malice

Realizing who is front of her she pauses.

"There are a few questions I have, but it is getting late. Let us talk as we head back to the settlement.

Along the way, Malice tells Kirnan that the Goblins are frightened by something in the area. They refer to it as a "foul wind" and believe it has the power to steal their minds.

She also conveys that its presence there is hindering future negotiations with the goblin tribes as they associate all settlers to this "foul wind".

Rhyvurg
2018-04-11, 01:24 AM
Kirnan pauses. "Small world." He holds up the hand he found. "You can go if you want, I'm not done here."

Feirgon
2018-04-11, 06:08 PM
Malice

"A severed hand."

Malice looks unimpressed.

"What use is it and why would it keep you here?"

Rhyvurg
2018-04-11, 08:39 PM
Kirnan stares at Mailce for a second. "Because it belonged to someone, and even if their dead I'm sure any family they have would feel better knowing they weren't left for the crows."

Feirgon
2018-04-11, 10:43 PM
Malice

Malice thinks for a moment.

"You should be informed that the goblins fear this area. They refer to a foul wind and mind stealers. I would caution you not to make any hasty actions. If what they say has any truth to it, we are talking about a mage of some sort.

As such, crows would be the least of that persons problems."

She points at the severed hand.

tigerusthegreat
2018-04-16, 08:06 PM
Sorry to everyone, but I've had some pretty serious stuff come up with work and will be unable to devote any time to running these games for at least the next month. As such, I'm going to end this game. If I get to the point where I have some consistent free time I will try to resurrect this, but that will be at least a month from now (and probably more).

Sorry, everyone.

tigerusthegreat
2018-05-20, 10:13 PM
As the three of you debate over the found hand, you hear the clear tolling of an alarm bell from the direction of the settlement. While no bell and no belltower exists there, it is a magically created alarm to be used when there are fires or an enemy attacking. You aren't sure what is going on, but they are definitely trying to get everyone's attention.

Rhyvurg
2018-05-21, 12:51 AM
Reluctant to just leave people behind when they might be alive, Kirnan hurries back to the colony.

JbeJ275
2018-05-21, 12:55 AM
Aurthur looks up at the bell and for a moment frowns, then the realisation washes over his face and he begins sprinting back to the settlement.

Feirgon
2018-05-21, 10:54 AM
Malice

At the sound of the alarm, Malice begins hurrying back to the settlement as fast as she can.

tigerusthegreat
2018-05-21, 07:15 PM
The three of you take off back towards the city. Aurthur quickly disappears in the underbrush ahead, and Malice stumbles. By the time Malice recovers his footing, the other two have disappeared far ahead.

Aurthur

As you burst into the clearing that marks the outskirts of the encampment, the overwhelming smell of smoke hits your nostrils. The twilight hour is lit brightly by burning tents and wagons. There is a lot of screaming and people running around. Among the tall humanoids you see a lot of smaller ones....far more than the few children that were brought along with families to the new world.

Kirnan
Aurthur pulls ahead of you quickly, but you know the way back much better than he does. Taking a nearby game trail you found, you cover ground very swiftly. As you step out of the underbrush near town, you notice several large fires burning in the camp: most likely tents and wagons. People are screaming, and you do not spot Aurthur or Malice anywhere. Nearby, a pair of small figures is shambling towards the town.
The look like children in the dim light, but their movements are very stocky, and no children would be shambling that way, dragging spears behind them.

Malice
After losing sight of Aurthur and Kirnan, you manage to get turned around in the woods. Somehow you stumble into a small clearing you know of near the encampment. Getting your bearings, you turn to head towards the encampment when you hear groaning noises.
In the underbrush towards the town, four pairs of glowing green eyes stare back at you. Emerging from the brush are four goblins shambling forward. Their arms are limp, dragging spears beside them. Tattered green and brown clothing hangs around their gaunt bodies.

Rhyvurg
2018-05-21, 08:26 PM
Kirnan ignores them and runs to help with the fires.

Feirgon
2018-05-22, 01:16 AM
Malice

The sight unnerves her for a moment. Then she quickly recalls what the goblins had said earlier. She carefully watches the creatures as she keeps her distance.

Rolling Arcana to determine the nature of their affliction. Malice, is assuming necromancy, but wants to double check.

Arcana: [roll0]

JbeJ275
2018-05-22, 02:40 PM
Aurthur whirls around in a panick, swiftly realising the nature of what must have happened, realising he didn’t have a hope of fighting them off alone he mutters a quick prayer and dives in deeper looking for their leader.

OOC: Insight to figure out who their leader is? I’ll try it, +Guidance

[roll0]+[roll1]

tigerusthegreat
2018-05-22, 09:26 PM
Aurthur

Something seems wrong about the figures' movements....the are stumbling and shambling....definitely not the almost fluid grace the goblins you had dealt with had, at least from their Fast Walkers. In the firelight you spot their features. Their clothes are the same greens and browns worn by the fast walkers, but these are tattered and ripped. One of the goblins has an arm bent at an unusual angle, and all bear some kind of wounds oozing with black liquid.

Kirnan
As you run past them, you notice that they are goblins. Their eyes have a vacant expression in the firelight, and their clothes, all greens and browns, are tattered and worn. One of them has several open wounds that ooze a black substance.

You reach where the fires are burning, and frantic colonists are trying to put out the fires with the few buckets you have. Most are trying to beat it back by shoveling dirt and sand on the flames. Out of the corner of your eye you see one of the few magic users in the camp blasting the flames with bolts of ice to try to stop it.

Malice
They look like some form of zombie, or perhaps a lesser ghoul, definitely created through necromancy.

As you study them, they slowly shuffle towards you.

Feirgon
2018-05-22, 09:36 PM
Malice

Not wanting to deal with a confrontation alone in unknown territory, Malice decides to get past the creatures and head towards the settlement.

She begins to approach them and as she gets within melee she casts a spell and teleports past them. And then she continues to move toward the alarm.

Casting 2nd level spell Misty Step and doing a double move to get past the 4 undead goblins.

Rhyvurg
2018-05-22, 10:52 PM
Kirnan pitches in with the fires, grabbing a shovel and throwing as much dirt as he can.

JbeJ275
2018-05-23, 01:51 AM
Pressing desperately on Arthur attempts to find wherever the people are most concentrated, forcing these shambles bake with flashes of radiance and divine flame, stumbling onward for the smoke he cries out the names of others, searching for where they could be.

tigerusthegreat
2018-05-23, 04:06 PM
Aurthur

The few goblins that are near the encampment are burned by divine power, or flee as fast as they can shuffle. Focusing instead on the others, you quickly manage to find Nerissa and Seltyiel. Nerissa is sitting on the ground, blood soaking the right side of her shirt and a wad of bandages Seltyiel is pressing against the wound. She takes several swigs from a bottle that likely contains some kind of strong spirit.

"You missed all the fun, Aurthur....those goblins you went to see attacked while you were away....caught us by surprise in the night."

Kirnan

You start helping to put out the fires. It is slow progress, but you are definitely keeping them contained, and should have them out in the next few minutes. You notice the goblinoid figures retreating to the forest edge. For the first time you notice that there are a lot of wounded people in the camp....mostly minor scratches and small gashes, but there are some bodies that remain unmoving on the ground.

Malice

You use your spell to jump past the goblins, who seem to very slowly react to what you've done, and turn to follow you. You quickly outpace them. After a few minutes of frantic running, you enter the clearing around the settlement.

There are a handful of wagons and tents burning, with the smoldering smoke showing that some have already been put out. You spot Kirnan helping to shovel dirt on a tent whose fire has burnt down to a few embers. You hear Aurthur shouting indistintly in the distance from further in the encampment.

Rhyvurg
2018-05-23, 05:13 PM
With the fire contained, Kirnan moves his attention back to the goblins. He readies his bow and gives chase.

Feirgon
2018-05-24, 10:03 AM
Malice

Malice approaches Kirnan as he finishes putting out the fire.

"Kirnan! I came across some undead goblins on the way here. I would not be surprised if these fires are related to the undead.

Moreover, we should handle this as an attack on the settlement."

Malice's eyes scan down to Kirnan's bow.

"We will need to shore up our defenses before we can turn for the attack. I am going to go find Arthur and try to gather our forces. We'll also need to find a safe place to keep those that cannot fight."

JbeJ275
2018-05-24, 11:58 AM
Arthur takes a knee and touches two fingers to Neriisa’s abdomen, then mutters a few words of prayer, releasing the magic of a cure wounds into her side. Then he gets up and looks for other on the brink of death in need of healing.

How could this have happened? They scarcely knew where we were and had little reason to attack?and something is off with these, with the way they move. Anyway that’s not important, where are the most of the wounded? I need to heal as many as I can.

tigerusthegreat
2018-05-24, 07:29 PM
Aurthur

As you touch the wound and channel divine power into it, the blood sizzles as if boiling. Nerissa screams in agony and shoves you away. "What they hell are you trying to do, kill me? The wounded are scattered around....I don't know where the goblins came from....they were just among the tents at dusk."

Kirnan and Malice

As you finish helping put the fires out, you look for the goblins. The last few of them have reached the forest edge, moving slowly into the underbrush.

Malice approaches you and begins to talk strategy.

Rhyvurg
2018-05-24, 09:50 PM
Kirnan starts after the goblins. "Get the people to the beach, break camp if you have to, gather everything so nothing can approach unseen. I'm going to follow those things."

Feirgon
2018-05-25, 09:27 AM
Malice

"I do have an idea of where I think they are heading, but it would be good to know with certainty. Follow them, but do not engage. We need information, not revenge."

Malice heads into the settlement to find survivors and lead them to the beach.

tigerusthegreat
2018-05-27, 10:30 AM
Kirnan
Even in the darkness, it is not hard to follow the goblins. It is a lot harder to avoid overtaking them and remaining unnoticed. You are following a group of three at a distance of about forty feet, any further away and you risk losing them in the forest and any closer you risk being seen. They are heading roughly southwest from the settlement.

Malice
At a quick glance, it looks like 5-10 people are missing altogether, and another 10 are dead or grievously wounded. You gather those that are ambulatory and who are willing to go with you to the beaches. In the end it's only about 20 of the 30-35 survivors. You don't see any more of the goblins while you are gathering people.

JbeJ275
2018-05-27, 11:27 AM
That was healing magic, from the gods themselves, I would have brought something else had I wished to cause harm. Arthur carefully examines the wound looking for anything that could indicate dark magic in the wound. While this concern is pressing he also spends time going amongst the wounded, administering more mundane healing.

OOC:
Arcana: [roll0]
Medicine: [roll1]

Rhyvurg
2018-05-27, 01:20 PM
Kirnan keeps tailing the goblins, keeping as great a distance as he can without losing them. They were clearly not acting normal, so whoever caused them to attack wasn't going to be normal either.

Feirgon
2018-05-31, 05:57 PM
Malice

Malice organizes the survivors into a defensive line protecting the injured and weak.

tigerusthegreat
2018-06-05, 10:35 PM
Aurthur
The wound appears to not have healed at all....in fact the magic seems to have aggravated the skin around the wound, like rubbing sand or salt into it. There are a few ways you can imagine healing magic could go awry. There is a disease you've heard of that necrotizes the flesh in a specific way, making healing magic kill off the tissue. A curse could also do the same thing.

Kirnan
You carefully follow them through the forests. You find that you are almost exactly where you found the severed hand. You quickly realize you've lost sight of a few of the goblins. Watching the ones you still can see, you spot them disappear into a black blob of unnatural darkness.

Malice
You form a defensive area with the survivors, trying to tend to the walking wounded. No further attacks seem to come.

Rhyvurg
2018-06-06, 01:01 PM
Kirnan immediately turns and heads back to the camp. Whatever was happening, something supernatural had it in for the colony, and the others needed to know as soon as possible.

JbeJ275
2018-06-06, 02:28 PM
While he recognises the dark magics and the implications thereof he files that information away and goes among the wounded with more mundane treatments, healing the wounded with poultices, bandages and his own knowledge.

Medicine: [roll0]

tigerusthegreat
2018-06-10, 10:50 AM
Aurthur
You bandage up your leader as best you can. Your gut instinct is that this wound might need someone with a lot more magical talent than you have available in the colony if she is to survive it.

Kirnan

You return to the camp. Malice has a number of colonists gathered on the beach in a defensive formation. You spot Aurthur gathered around Nerissa tending to her wounds. The fires are all out, but there are still a number of wounded around. This has been a significant blow to the settlement in terms of supplies lost. Many of the tents are damaged, and morale is going to be very low due to the feeling that people are not safe even in the camp.

Rhyvurg
2018-06-10, 11:50 AM
Kirnan approaches Arthur and Nerissa. "Something with powerful magic seems to want to kill us all. Whatever plans we had for the settlement, we're going to have to change them. We need real defenses."