PDA

View Full Version : Two-Attacks as a Standard Action

Yogibear41
2018-03-06, 11:33 PM
Looking at a potential three mountains build for an upcoming character, and was wondering what options there are for giving me two attacks as a standard action.

I know about pounce, and a handful of maneuvers that I could use to activate it, but what I would really like is something like the slashing flurry feat that will always let me take two attacks as a standard action.

What options are available to me?

If it helps I will probably be using a heavy mace or morning star over the great club.

The Viscount
2018-03-06, 11:45 PM
Are you planning on two weapon fighting? If so, Dual Strike is what you want. Double Hit lets you do it for AoOs.

ViperMagnum357
2018-03-06, 11:46 PM
Iaijutsu Master 8, from OA-at will without restrictions, but that is Katana only.

Yogibear41
2018-03-06, 11:48 PM
Don't want to two-weapon fighting really, I would prefer two- handed fighting, already going to take tons of feats to do three mountains anyway.

Karl Aegis
2018-03-06, 11:56 PM
Snap Kick from Tome of Battle would give you an unarmed strike added to your attacks.

Yogibear41
2018-03-06, 11:59 PM
Snap Kick from Tome of Battle would give you an unarmed strike added to your attacks.

You have to hit twice with your mace weapon to use three mountains, that is what I need.

RaiKirah
2018-03-07, 12:00 AM
Improved Trip and Knock-Down gives a free attack on a trip which gets triggered whenever you deal 10+ damage

flappeercraft
2018-03-07, 12:01 AM
A Crescent Knife does that, its from a Dragon Magazine but I don't remember the exact issue just that it was in the 290's.

Also, Telflammar Shadowlord can do it with Shadow Pounce if you have some standard action teleport spells.

ViperMagnum357
2018-03-07, 01:03 AM
A Crescent Knife does that, its from a Dragon Magazine but I don't remember the exact issue just that it was in the 290's.

Also, Telflammar Shadowlord can do it with Shadow Pounce if you have some standard action teleport spells.

From the same issue, DMG 275, the Scourge gets 3 attack rolls per attack. Alas, 3 mountains is restricted to 3 specific weapons; is there any way to change a weapon to 'counts as' for the purposes of fulfilling prereqs?

Uncle Pine
2018-03-07, 03:22 AM
I came here to suggest a manyfanged mace but after checking the book manyfanged only deals quadruple damage instead of actually hitting four times.

I assume polymorphing into a hydra wielding mouthpick maces wouldn't be an acceptable solution, right?

death390
2018-03-07, 04:15 AM
actually yes there is an enchant to count a weapon as another for purpose of feats and such: affinity? from tome of battle.

Eldariel
2018-03-07, 05:13 AM
Warblade/Barbarian has a myriad of ways of virtually guaranteeing a double attack every round. Not standard action all that easily but plenty of move + full attack options without any serious restrictions.

Bounding Assault, Pouncing Charge, Dancing Mongoose, Raging Mongoose, Sudden Leap, Quicksilver Motion, etc.

Travel Devotion is the other obvious option off Cloistered Cleric 1.

noce
2018-03-07, 05:31 AM
Barbarian with the Whirling Frenzy alternative rage can do an extra attack in any round he attacks, including two attacks in a standard action.

While in a whirling frenzy, the barbarian may make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round.

Uncle Pine
2018-03-07, 05:52 AM
I almost forgot, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement) is probably a useful link.

ben-zayb
2018-03-07, 06:20 AM
Barbarian with the Whirling Frenzy alternative rage can do an extra attack in any round he attacks, including two attacks in a standard action.

Wait, you mean a Rage Mage can cast a Spell and make one attack on the same turn?

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-07, 09:12 AM
Belt of Battle from the MIC will allow you to spend it's three charges to give you extra actions. You can either use 1 charge to get a move action and then full attack at the end of that move, or use 2 charges for an extra standard action, or blow all three charges for an extra full-round action.

The Dancing Mongoose maneuver from ToB allows you to use a swift action to make one additional attack with each weapon you use, but has a prerequisite of two tiger claw manuevers so a single use of the Martial Study feat won't get you this. A one level dip into Warblade would do it as long as you have 8 other class levels.

Otherwise most of the 'extra attacks' given out by the various spells and abilities I looked at only come after a full round attack, which is probably not what you are looking for since those would already allow you your second iterative attack.

Anthrowhale
2018-03-07, 09:25 AM
Maybe have an ally casting Snake's Swiftness?

ViperMagnum357
2018-03-07, 10:58 AM
Found it-the Aptitude quality is a +1 bonus from Tome of Battle that allows you to use ANY feats that specify a particular type of weapon with a weapon possessing the enchantment. Because of the wording, you should be able to apply Three Mountains and whatever else you want to any weapon you choose. So, the aforementioned Crescent Knives, Scourge, and Katana w/Iaijutsu Master 8 should all work for what OP wants.

Bucky
2018-03-07, 12:16 PM
One sneaky way to set it up is with a readied action and a subsequent attack of opportunity. This is more a tactic than a build choice.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-07, 12:53 PM
Found it-the Aptitude quality is a +1 bonus from Tome of Battle that allows you to use ANY feats that specify a particular type of weapon with a weapon possessing the enchantment. Because of the wording, you should be able to apply Three Mountains and whatever else you want to any weapon you choose. So, the aforementioned Crescent Knives, Scourge, and Katana w/Iaijutsu Master 8 should all work for what OP wants.That's the same wording that is used to make the Lightning Maces trick work. The example feats they list suggest that the wording should have called out 'feats where you are required to choose a weapon type' and many DMs consider this RAI, but RAW they made it so that feats like Three Mountains could be interpreted as being affected as well.

Consult your DM first on this one.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-07, 02:28 PM

Wait, you mean a Rage Mage can cast a Spell and make one attack on the same turn?

That's not what that phrase means. It doesn't give an exemption to the normal rule of requiring a full attack to get any extra attacks on a given round.

death390
2018-03-07, 08:24 PM
Found it-the Aptitude quality is a +1 bonus from Tome of Battle that allows you to use ANY feats that specify a particular type of weapon with a weapon possessing the enchantment. Because of the wording, you should be able to apply Three Mountains and whatever else you want to any weapon you choose. So, the aforementioned Crescent Knives, Scourge, and Katana w/Iaijutsu Master 8 should all work for what OP wants.

damn so close it was aptitude not affinity, though i did have the book right at least. just didnt have the time to look.

Thurbane
2018-03-07, 08:33 PM
You might find some useful ideas here [3.X] Extra attacks, natural attacks, AoO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?49522[/URL] and here [URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127463-3-X-Extra-attacks-natural-attacks-AoO) and here Not called GREAT Club for nothing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?49522)