PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Lock rules query

rel
2018-03-07, 01:30 AM
The wording of the spell arcane lock seems inconsistent.

First it says the spells target is 'impassable until it is broken or the spell is dispelled or suppressed.' Then later in the description it mentions the DC to 'pick any locks on it increases by 10.'

From that I can only see the spell working in one of 2 ways;

a) The target object cannot be opened without breaking it or removing the locking magic in which case the second line is pointless.

or

b) The target object can be picked open (assuming it has locks) in which case the first line is wrong and should read something like:
'impassable until it is broken, any locks on it are picked or the spell is dispelled or suppressed.'

Am I missing something?

How have you ruled this spell?

Specter
2018-03-07, 10:19 AM
I'd say b). Specific beats general.

Sigreid
2018-03-07, 10:42 AM
The door is magically held. If the door has mundane locks, the difficulty of picking those locks increases as well. In other words, I interpret it as enhancing the normal security and adding another layer.

This matters because if I remember right knock will undo 1 lock or the arcane lock. So if you have a door with 2 locks and cast arcane lock you need to break the door, cast 3 knock spells, or pick the 2 locks and cast 1 knock.

Demonslayer666
2018-03-07, 12:44 PM
If you can bypass the spell by picking a lock, then a door without a lock could just be opened, because it's unlocked, right?

Sigreid
2018-03-07, 12:46 PM
If you can bypass the spell by picking a lock, then a door without a lock could just be opened, because it's unlocked, right?

I was saying that you can't bypass the spell by picking the lock, but you may need to pick the lock in addition to suppressing the spell and the spell makes even that part of it harder.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-07, 12:53 PM
If I hang a sheet over a door and cast Arcane Lock on it, does that sheet become impassable until someone destroys it or otherwise removes it from the door? Seems like we need more text on this spell.

DivisibleByZero
2018-03-07, 12:55 PM
The wording of the spell arcane lock seems inconsistent.

First it says the spells target is 'impassable until it is broken or the spell is dispelled or suppressed.' Then later in the description it mentions the DC to 'pick any locks on it increases by 10.'

From that I can only see the spell working in one of 2 ways;

a) The target object cannot be opened without breaking it or removing the locking magic in which case the second line is pointless.

or

b) The target object can be picked open (assuming it has locks) in which case the first line is wrong and should read something like:
'impassable until it is broken, any locks on it are picked or the spell is dispelled or suppressed.'

Am I missing something?

How have you ruled this spell?

Both. See below.

The door is magically held. If the door has mundane locks, the difficulty of picking those locks increases as well. In other words, I interpret it as enhancing the normal security and adding another layer.

This matters because if I remember right knock will undo 1 lock or the arcane lock. So if you have a door with 2 locks and cast arcane lock you need to break the door, cast 3 knock spells, or pick the 2 locks and cast 1 knock.

Depends on the order.
If Arcane Lock is active, the DC to pick the two locks in increased by 10.
If you Knock/Dispell the Arcane Lock, the DCs are as per normal.

Example 1:
Two locks, both locked with DC 15 to pick (but you don't know that), plus Arcane Lock.
If you don't know that it is affected by Arcane Lock, the two locks are DC 25, and after (if) you pick them (at the now DC 25, but you don't know that either) the door is still locked via Arcane Lock.

Example 2:
Two locks, both locked with DC 15 to pick (but you don't know that), plus Arcane Lock.
You spend a slot on Detect Magic first and somehow suss out that it's an Arcane Lock (even though Detect doesn't tell you that). In addition to the 1st level slot for Detect, you also spend a 2nd level slot on Knock (or a 3rd level slot on Dispel). Now the door is still double locked, but the DC to pick them is only 15 per (you don't know that).

That's how I handle it. Seeing as Detect costs a slot, and doesn't tell you what spell is on the door if you actually do detect it, the first scenario is much more likely.

No, because the spell states that the door is locked via the spell. See above.

Sigreid
2018-03-07, 02:18 PM
Both. See below.

Depends on the order.
If Arcane Lock is active, the DC to pick the two locks in increased by 10.
If you Knock/Dispell the Arcane Lock, the DCs are as per normal.

Example 1:
If you don't know that it is affected by Arcane Lock, the two locks are DC 25, and after (if) you pick them (at the now DC 25, but you don't know that either) the door is still locked via Arcane Lock.

Example 2:
You spend a slot on Detect Magic first and somehow suss out that it's an Arcane Lock (even though Detect doesn't tell you that). In addition to the 1st level slot for Detect, you also spend a 2nd level slot on Knock (or a 3rd level slot on Dispel). Now the door is still double locked, but the DC to pick them is only 15 per (you don't know that).

That's how I handle it. Seeing as Detect costs a slot, and doesn't tell you what spell is on the door if you actually do detect it, the first scenario is much more likely.

No, because the spell states that the door is locked via the spell. See above.

You and I agree on our interpretation.

rel
2018-03-07, 08:35 PM
Okay that makes sense. Thanks everyone.