PDA

View Full Version : Spells for a "telekinetic" sorcerer?

Luccan
2018-03-07, 01:36 AM
I've had the idea for awhile to create a sorcerer who's spells are focused around his "telekinetic" powers. Basically, I want to gear towards entering Master of the Unseen hand. But that's really easy. So what I'm looking for are the spells he'll get as his telekinetic powers develop. I already thought of the obvious Mage Hand and Fly, but what are other good spells for a would be master of making stuff float?

Calthropstu
2018-03-07, 01:49 AM
... telekinesis?

Afgncaap5
2018-03-07, 01:52 AM
Well, do you see telekinesis as merely "makes stuff float" or do you see it as "sustained force" as well? If so, then I'd look into spells that use Force effects (Shield, Force Cage, etc.) and I'd also look into things that grant deflection bonuses to AC since I think the intent of that kind of AC bonus is that there's some kind of magical force propelling harmful things away from you. I'd also look at things that impose miss chances, like Entropic Shield's limited ability to push away projectiles.

And you've probably already covered this under the "obvious stuff", but open/close as a cantrip feels like a must have, and prestidigitation would handle all of the minor "I'm too lazy to leave my chair, cup of water come over here" kinds of effects. Oh, and Unseen Servant and its more advanced variation, of course.

A lot of Bigby's hand-centric spells are nice fits mechanically, if you can get around the fact that they're literally summoning massive, magical hands to create the effect.

If 3rd party stuff is on the table, Spheres of Power might be worth a gander; their Telekinesis sphere is effectively everything we're talking about from a mechanical standpoint. Supplemented with the Destruction Sphere augmented through a focus on Force damage and maybe a few minor Enhancement Sphere effects and you'd be well on your way. A straight-up sphere sorcerer wouldn't qualify for Master of the Unseen Hand, sadly, but the Advanced Magical Training feat could grant a very slow sphere-focused caster level progression on the side of the Vancian magic.

TalonOfAnathrax
2018-03-07, 02:38 AM
How about getting spells like Gust of Wind?

Even Sound Lance or Magic Missile could be described as Telekinetic effects.

Venger
2018-03-07, 03:30 AM
telekinetically themed spells on the sorcerer list 1-9 alphabetically for ease of reference

any of the bigby spells
avasculate
backbiter
blast of force
catapult
choke
clutch of orcus
crushing grip
crushing sphere
dark way
defenestrating sphere
downdraft
entomb
evard's black tentacles
extract water elemental
false gravity
feather fall
flensing
fly
forcewave
freeze
globe of invulnerability & lesser
guided shot
gust of wind
haboob
haste
hold person
impeding stones
instant locksmith
jump
junglerazer
knock
kyristan's malevolent tentacles
launch bolt
levitate
mage armor
mage hand
orb of force & lesser
otiluke's resilient sphere
otiluke's telekinetic sphere
overland flight
phantasmal strangler
phantasmal strangler
ray deflection
reverse arrows
reverse gravity
shield
slow
snake's swiftness & mass
sniper's shot
suspension
swift fly
swift fly
tenser's floating disc
thunderlance
updraft
wind wall
wings of cover
wings of flurry

Âmesang
2018-03-07, 09:02 AM
Wall of force and forcecage come to mind… in a kind of "mime"-styled telekinetic.

johnbragg
2018-03-07, 09:40 AM
Not sure why unseen servant hasn't been mentioned.

Mike Miller
2018-03-07, 09:47 AM
Not sure why unseen servant hasn't been mentioned.

Afgncap5 mentioned it already. :)