PDA

View Full Version : Name My Firbolg

Mjolnirbear
2018-03-07, 08:32 AM
So I'm playing online for a roll20 campaign as a polearm ranger firbolg. His (future) animal companion is a snow leopard named Smol.

If you haven't read the fluff, Firbolg typically don't bother with names, and assume elven ones if outsiders insist. My plan was to let the party nickname me. Because he has a cat, I named him "Smol's Ambulatory Can Opener" in Roll20.

But the bard is literally planning on asking Smol, via some animal talking spell, what Smol calls me. What do you all think Smol would call me?

Backstory, if needed... I invented a bit about how seeing a snow-cat is good luck to the Firbolg, kind of like Ghost animals in British Columbia tribes. Then I expanded on it... "When the snowcat comes to your campfire and crawls into your lap, however, you have been chosen to Wander." Basically it's an excuse to have Firbolg adventurers besides outcasting and stuff.

Feel free to come up with a 'kitty name' for my Firbolg!

the_brazenburn
2018-03-07, 08:42 AM
Large hairless two-legger?

I'd imagine that's most cats would see humans (or firbolgs).

My party named our firbolg Lorax, due to his fuzzy sideburns and ability to speak with trees.

smcmike
2018-03-07, 08:44 AM
Too Big To Eat

Follow up questioning may reveal that a lot of things share that name, and also that the halfling in the party is called “Should I Eat It?”

snailgosh
2018-03-07, 08:45 AM
I'd say it depends a lot on how Smol percieves you.

Could be some defining physical feature, like "Big Paws" or "Two-legs" if Smol sees your Firbolg as kin,

could be sth like "Food dispenser" or "Backscratcher" if Smol puts emphasis on what your Firbolg does to please him,

or could be sth simple like "Boss" or "Master" if Smol doesn't care for names either and puts emphasis on the hierarchy of the relationship.

hymer
2018-03-07, 08:56 AM
Tripped Over Me. Smells Kinda Weird. Salty Skin. Noisy Sticks Out. Needs Help. Nice One. Ugly But Cute. Fell In The Creek. Lifts Stones. Carries Food. Makes Food. Has Food. Gives Me Food. Smells Like Food.

SirGraystone
2018-03-07, 09:02 AM
Because of the polearm he use, Longclaw.

Joe the Rat
2018-03-07, 10:23 AM
Little-Teeth or Soft-Paws

He doesn't have claws, he has to use tools to make foods edible... I forget if Firbolg are vegetarian - if not, needing tools to properly hunt and skin and prepare food for consumption. The Leopard may develop a grudging respect for his hunting skill over time, but will always lament your insufficient natural features.

TheYell
2018-03-07, 10:27 AM
Read a story once where a housecat named his humans Warm and Pest.

"or could be sth simple like "Boss" or "Master" if Smol doesn't care for names either and puts emphasis on the hierarchy of the relationship. "

could refer to him in the third person as "Sir".

Mjolnirbear
2018-03-07, 10:27 AM
Too Big To Eat

Follow up questioning may reveal that a lot of things share that name, and also that the halfling in the party is called “Should I Eat It?”

We have a halfling in the party. The bard is the halfling. I find this very tempting. ;)

samcifer
2018-03-07, 10:30 AM
Fuzzy Lumpkins

tieren
2018-03-07, 10:33 AM
Glenn Walker

GlenSmash!
2018-03-07, 11:59 AM
Foodbringer. Clawless. Huntmaster. Provider.

jjadned
2018-03-07, 12:04 PM
Frobert

Pronouced

Fro like Fryo

And Bert like Bert

Sigreid
2018-03-07, 12:04 PM
Don't all cats just think of their people as Slave?

Beechgnome
2018-03-07, 02:05 PM
Well, if it crawled into your lap, then how about Bed or Nest.

Personification
2018-03-08, 12:10 AM
What about "My Ambulatory Can Opener"?

Mjolnirbear
2018-03-08, 12:29 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions. I may just stick with "Can Opener". Or maybe "Chosen to Wander." I really appreciate everyone's input. :) Have a great day!