PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass Bard/Warlock

cre4tive
2018-03-07, 11:50 AM
if I get 4 bard levels and 1 warlock level, would I have how many cantrips? How many spells known? How many spell slots? I'm kind of confused at being the first multiclass.

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-07, 11:52 AM
If I’m correct, Warlocks and Bards get the same number of Cantrips, therefore you’d have as many cantrips as a level 5 Bard, or a level 5 Warlock.

clash
2018-03-07, 11:57 AM
So first I will highly suggest going bard 5 and grabbing the warlock level at level 6 instead of bard 4/warlock 1. 3rd level spells are game changes and getting them a level late can make your character feel weak. That aside: Your classes each learn spells and cantrips as if they were multiclassed with a martial character like a barbarian, further because it is a warlock whose spellcasting does not stack, they also gain spell slots independent of each other.

So 4 levels in bard gives everything just as if you were a level 4 bard: 3 cantrips and 7 bard spells known and 4 1st level + 3 2nd level slots.
1 level in warlock gives: 2 cantrips, 2 warlock spells known, and 1 1st level spell slot that refreshes on a short rest.

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-07, 11:59 AM
Warlock Pact Magic does not combine with the Spellcasting feature, so multiclassing Warlocks is actually simpler to figure out than mixing full casters with half and third casters with the spellcasting feature.

You have to normal spells known for a 4th level Bard, combined with the normal known spells for a 1st level Warlock.

You Know 7 Bard spells along with 3 Cantrips, and have 4 1st and 3 2nd level spell slots that refresh after a long rest.
You know 2 Warlock spells along with 2 cantrips, and have 1 1st level slot that refreshes on a long rest.

So you have a total of 5 Cantrips and know 9 spells (7 Bard and 2 Warlock spells).
At the start of your day, you have 5 1st level spell slots and 3 2nd level slots (with one of those restoed on a short rest).

Malifice
2018-03-07, 12:01 PM
If I’m correct, Warlocks and Bards get the same number of Cantrips, therefore you’d have as many cantrips as a level 5 Bard, or a level 5 Warlock.

You're not correct.

You combine cantrips known. You have the cantrips of a bard 4 and a warlock 1.

Vogie
2018-03-07, 12:07 PM
7 Bard spells known - 4 first level, 3 second level - then 3 bard cantrips
2 Warlock spells known, 1 first-level spell slot, then 2 Warlock Cantrips

Quoxis
2018-03-08, 10:28 AM

...please stay away from multiclassing, because that’s as wrong as it gets.

A lvl 4 bard gets 3 cantrips from the bard spell list (as listed in the table at the beginning of the bard description), and when the character takes a level of warlock, he learns as many new spells and cantrips as a lvl 1 warlock - 2 cantrips and 2 spells, all of which must be in the warlock spell list (plus the expanded spell list of the patron).

All in all the character now knows 5 cantrips (3 bardic, 2 from warlock) and 9 spells (7 of which are from bard, therefore they can be first or second level spells; the other 2 are from warlock and can only be of first spell level, because he’s not „warlocky“ enough yet. If the character takes 3 or more levels of warlock, he can cast - and therefore learn - higher level spells).
He also has 5 first level slots (one of which is from warlock and therefore can be regained on a short rest) and 3 second level slots, BUT this only works when multiclassing a caster with warlock. When it comes to spell slots (spells known excluded!), any other combination of two casters just combines the class levels - 4 levels of bard and 1 of sorcerer makes 5 levels of spellcaster, so that would give only 4 first level and 3 second level slots, but also 2 third level slots (like i said: spells known is excluded here; the character can only learn bard spells of up to second level and sorcerer spells of first level).

I hope this was at least a little bit helpful, i can see how multiclassing is weird and complicated at first.

Joe the Rat
2018-03-08, 10:55 AM
Minor typo (fixed in bold)

Warlock Pact Magic does not combine with the Spellcasting feature, so multiclassing Warlocks is actually simpler to figure out than mixing full casters with half and third casters with the spellcasting feature.

You have to normal spells known for a 4th level Bard, combined with the normal known spells for a 1st level Warlock.

You Know 7 Bard spells along with 3 Cantrips, and have 4 1st and 3 2nd level spell slots that refresh after a long rest.
You know 2 Warlock spells along with 2 cantrips, and have 1 1st level slot that refreshes on a short rest.

So you have a total of 5 Cantrips and know 9 spells (7 Bard and 2 Warlock spells).
At the start of your day, you have 5 1st level spell slots and 3 2nd level slots (with one of those restoed on a short rest).

OP: With Warlocks, it's kind of like 3rd ed multiclassing, in that you have separate spell lists, and separate slot pools, except you can use any of your slots to cast spells from either class.