PDA

View Full Version : Anti Rust/Metal spells

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-03-07, 01:13 PM
As a warforge i worry about enemy's/monsters who happen to have possible anti metal spells/abilities. I doubt there is a catch all "Ignore metal spell" but is there something I should look into specifically? I know i can get an anti rust ring but i don't know about the rest of it. Any suggestions?

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-07, 01:18 PM
Since you aren't an unattended object, you're pretty much going to get a saving throw against 99.99% of this sort of stuff. So I would do what any character does, whether they are made out of soft or hard stuff, and focus on keeping your saves high. Maybe add a little spell resistance if you can get it.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-03-07, 01:25 PM
Since you aren't an unattended object, you're pretty much going to get a saving throw against 99.99% of this sort of stuff. So I would do what any character does, whether they are made out of soft or hard stuff, and focus on keeping your saves high. Maybe add a little spell resistance if you can get it.

So have high hopes and stack Saves and maybe pray to RNGeus.
I can do that. I was looking for possible perma protection if possible. But only thing i can think of for that would be a wish but i dont know if a anti magic zone would null that.

Arael666
2018-03-07, 01:41 PM
Can you enchant a warforged plating as you enchant armor? If that option is available, Blueshine (MIC) is an armor property for 1500 gp that makes items immune to acid and rust

Edit: you could also spend more money and get a gauntlet of rust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gauntletofRust).

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-03-07, 02:15 PM
Can you enchant a warforged plating as you enchant armor? If that option is available, Blueshine (MIC) is an armor property for 1500 gp that makes items immune to acid and rust

Edit: you could also spend more money and get a gauntlet of rust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gauntletofRust).

I think you can. So Blueshine myself (shiny) and wear a gauntlet. Mhh. I can swing that easily enough. And spells effect metal would be the last thing I have to worry about which shouldnt be to big of a worry if i stack saves. Woot!

Thurbane
2018-03-07, 04:01 PM
Closest I can find is Rebirth of Iron (CM p.114), but it doesn't really do what the OP is looking for.

Inevitability
2018-03-07, 04:12 PM
Try the Gauntlet of Rust (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gauntlet_of_Rust).

Venger
2018-03-07, 04:18 PM
As a warforge i worry about enemy's/monsters who happen to have possible anti metal spells/abilities. I doubt there is a catch all "Ignore metal spell" but is there something I should look into specifically? I know i can get an anti rust ring but i don't know about the rest of it. Any suggestions?
What abilities specifically are you talking about? Aside from shocking grasp, rusting grasp, and rust ray (which just deal some piddly damage) there is nothing I know of that has a special deleterious effect on you as a warforged.

There actually is a catchall "ignore metal" spell called ironguard, but it can't cause you any harm as a warforged, because you're a creature and not an object

If you really don't want to get got by the spells I listed, just buy a couple of spellblades and you'll be safe.

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-03-08, 02:12 AM
What abilities specifically are you talking about? Aside from shocking grasp, rusting grasp, and rust ray (which just deal some piddly damage) there is nothing I know of that has a special deleterious effect on you as a warforged.

There actually is a catchall "ignore metal" spell called ironguard, but it can't cause you any harm as a warforged, because you're a creature and not an object

If you really don't want to get got by the spells I listed, just buy a couple of spellblades and you'll be safe.

Spells i was talking about are Chill metal/Heat metal/ Repel Metal or Stone/ Transmute Metal to Wood

Venger
2018-03-08, 02:50 AM
Spells i was talking about are Chill metal/Heat metal/ Repel Metal or Stone/ Transmute Metal to Wood

None of those can target creatures, so you are not in any danger.

Thurbane
2018-03-08, 03:54 PM
None of those can target creatures, so you are not in any danger.

Their racial traits call out a specific vulnerability to some of these spells:

The unusual physical construction of warforged makes them vulnerable to certain spells and effects that normally don't affect living creatures. A warforged takes damage from heat metal and chill metal as if he were wearing metal armor. Likewise, a warforged is affected by repell metal or stone as if he were wearing metal armor. A warforged is repelled by repell wood. The iron in the body of a warforged makes him vulnerable to rusting grasp. The creature takes 2d6 points of damage from the spell (Reflex half; save DC 14 + caster's ability modifier). A warforged takes the same damage from a rust monster's touch (Reflex DC 17 half). Spells such as stone to flesh, stone shape, warp wood, and wood shape affect objects only, and thus cannot be used on the stone and wood parts of a warforged.

Venger
2018-03-09, 12:43 AM
well, you've got me there. he's still immune to transmute metal to wood. as for the rest, spellblade.

Mato
2018-03-09, 10:59 PM
As a warforge i worry about enemy's/monsters who happen to have possible anti metal spells/abilities. I doubt there is a catch all "Ignore metal spell" but is there something I should look into specifically? I know i can get an anti rust ring but i don't know about the rest of it. Any suggestions?Not sure what you are wanting or what an "anti rust ring" is.

But Warforged only take 2d6 damage from rust-based attacks, less than a greatsword or pretty much any monster CR 5 or higher, and you should be lucky to be hit with those wasted actions instead of something actually threatening. If you're looking to protect armor I'm sorry it took thirteen posts to mention the durable upgrade out of dungeonscape that makes armor/shields immune to rust attacks and acid for only 500gp which is significently better than everything mentioned so far, but to be fair you did ask on GitP. And finally if you want to be immune to metal you should look up ironguard in the spell compendium, there really is an ignore metal spell.