PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Brick wall with a twist

Smaje
2018-03-07, 03:20 PM
Okay I have a concept please help me with the build.

This is a tag team for two characters. One is as big, tanky and highest AC possible. I'm thinking two tower shields like the giant from Volos. The second character is a tiny wizard sitting in a harness strapped to the big guys chest.

The wizard would wait to attack when the big guy opens his shields, otherwise he is protected by the shields and the monster AC.

So the brick wall would move, shield bash and give an opportunity for the little one to blast everything.

Should be fun, enjoy

Sigreid
2018-03-07, 03:36 PM
So, Master Blaster from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome?

AureusFulgens
2018-03-07, 03:40 PM
I don't think that (RAW) a character can do the double-shield thing. The PHB has the following:

Shields. A shield is made from wood or metal and is carried in one hand. Wielding a shield increases your Armor Class by 2. You can benefit from only one shield at a time.

And the Fire Giant Dreadnought has a special feature to bypass that:

Dual Shields. The giant carries two shields, each of which is accounted for in the giant's AC. The giant must stow or drop one of its shields to hurl rocks.

You can still get a pretty ridiculously high AC with the right build. But the other trouble is that a guy strapped to your chest probably only benefits from the shield - if you're wearing plate, for example, then I imagine that he's strapped over the plate, and it isn't really protecting him.

It would be ambiguous whether a creature with a high Dex-based AC would grant the carried creature any benefit - say, if you're a barbarian who's rocking a 16 Dexterity, does the wizard strapped to you get a bonus to AC because yours is based on being really nimble rather than because you're covered in metal that isn't covering him? Probably DM-dependent.

Other logistical issues would include the fact that a Small-sized wizard would be pretty unwieldy - even a gnome is still I think 3 feet tall? That might not be an issue if you've got a full Strength of 18-20 (to beat encumbrance rules) and you are an 8-foot tall Goliath (so that strapping a three-foot Small character to yourself doesn't impede your movement quite as much). This would also have implications for the Dex-based AC thing I mentioned before. If you've got a dude strapped to your chest, can you be as nimble as you would be otherwise?

So I don't know if this is possible for a PC. But if you're a DM, it could be a pretty sweet enemy to throw at your players (since that allows you the freedom to use Large or Huge creatures as the tank half, and give them dual shields).

Hudsonian
2018-03-07, 03:40 PM
as long as NOBODY casts any area control spells... Honestly I love this concept but I would hate to DM it because it would be so hard to allow the players to enjoy it.

Greywander
2018-03-07, 03:42 PM
Do note that RAW you can't get the AC bonus from more than one shield. Personally, I'd allow it to give full cover to the wizard, though.

Also, your DM might rule that the brick can only open or close his shields on his turn, meaning that you have to wait for him to open his shields on his turn, and are then vulnerable for the entire round until his turn comes around again and he closes the shields. One solution to this is to open the shields on the brick's turn, then Ready an action to close the shields after the wizard casts his spell.

The wizard should probably be a gnome, both for small size as well as for Gnomish Cunning. AC and cover won't help much when an enemy spellcaster tries to dominate you when you peek out from behind the shields. You might dip into warlock for Eldritch Blast spam. You can even ask if you can use INT instead of CHA for the warlock (apparently, warlocks were originally going to be INT based, but they changed it, and many people feel INT still fits better, so your DM might agree).

For the brick, it kind of depends on what you want to do. Champion fighter gets regenerating HP, but not until 18th level. Barbarian rage gives resistance to weapon damage. The rogue's Uncanny Dodge lets you cut the damage from one attack in half, every round. Paladin can self-heal with Lay on Hands, and use Heroism for temp HP every round. Life cleric has incredible healing power.

I'd say either Life cleric or Ancients paladin for the brick. Ancients pally gives resistance to spell damage, and all your auras will apply to the wizard as well.

Maybe goliath for the brick's race, but the damage reduction is only once per short rest, unlike Uncanny Dodge.

Smaje
2018-03-08, 09:55 AM
What if the brick were to cast shield. I mean it would extend over a pack the player was wearing, why not over a gnome you are wearing?

It does say a “player” singular so I know it’s a stretch.

JellyPooga
2018-03-08, 10:15 AM
The wizard strapped in gets no benefit from this arrangement and is Restrained.

The guy carrying him only suffers encumbrance penalties, if any, depending on his strength/size and the weight of the Wizard.

Harshing your buzz and killing player creativity? Robo-GM cares not.

Smaje
2018-03-08, 10:36 AM
What if the brick were to cast shield. I mean it would extend over a pack the player was wearing, why not over a gnome you are wearing?

It does say a “player” singular so I know it’s a stretch.

What I f the wizard was in his pack. The brick could turn around for the wizard to take shots. He could get shield then

Balthasaurus
2018-03-08, 11:15 AM
Well, actually the wizard could probably benefit from three-quarters cover. That's a +5 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws.

Hesh
2018-03-08, 12:00 PM
Isn't this just Krang from TMNT?