PDA

View Full Version : A Different Kind of Summoner

Cowboy_ninja
2007-08-29, 02:14 PM
im not quite getting the summoner i'm looking for. i want interesting creatures like magical beasts, & oozes;

that DMG pretige class has sentient extra planar guys to that you have to bargain with gold and such. Lame. druids with their animals have been done ( though im looking into dinosauars and dire animalks a bit)

this is purely NPC flavoring. An NPC that runs an exotic zoo. though i want his manar of catching and domesticating theses animals to be more interesting than just the DM showering him with gold to buy them.

if there is no class that summons magical beasts, perhaps he can set non-lethal traps up, track/scry them and teleports them to the trap where he handle animals them and eventually domesticates them?

what combination spells should he have?

kind of on a separat note but not really, earth elementals with earth glide. can they just grab you and suck you into the earth then leave you there? they can move through earth as easily as water. i figure they grab you "swim you under" and leave you to suffocate. right?

Cowboy_ninja
2007-08-29, 02:33 PM
can the spell dominate animal work on magical beasts?

i fugure since you can use wild empathy and handle animal on magical beasts why not dominate animal?

Yakk
2007-08-29, 04:12 PM
I've said this before and I'll say this again.

A BBEG is a challenge, not a Wargame unit. You don't have to build a BBEG by taking a human and giving them class levels -- you can just make a BBEG.

Restricting the BBEG to a set of rules is a good thing, but those rules need not be the same as you restrict players to.

So create yourself your Zookeeper. Give him a spell list and spells known -- invent some if you have to. Steal abilities from the Scout/Ranger/Rogue classes to give him the wild feel you want. Set his BaB, HP, AC, magical combat abilities, and allies in a fight so that he will be a challenge to the party.

I'd recommend a list of known spells (spontaneous casting) rather than books of spells, simply because it makes your paperwork easier.

Ranis
2007-08-29, 04:57 PM
can the spell dominate animal work on magical beasts?

No. Dominate Animal doesn't work on magical beasts.

Stormcrow
2007-08-29, 07:02 PM
I'm considering a Summoner who gets Nine "Calling" Spells for specific beings they can call. Because they are a Calling Spell they can take stuff back with them to wherever they came from.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-30, 02:13 AM
I think Beast Heart Adept from Dungeonscape(?) works like Beastmaster from Complete Adventurer, but for Magical Beasts. Thrall of Baphomet gets a Fiendish Animal Companion(if he doesn't already have one), or his Companion turns Fiendish(I think). Champions of Ruin has a Feat which works similarly(turns them more feral). Unapproachable East has Talontar Blightlord, which turns them into Diseased-Plant-like versions of themselves(and later into Juju Zombies). Fiendblooded PrC from Heroes of Horror works sort of like Dragon Disciple for Fiends, and their Familiar turns "Fiendish"(probably same as ToBaph, so not so useful if you're looking at Arcane Heirophant to combine them all). Spellstitched Familiar in Libris Mortis("Why settle for a Pseudonatural Cat when you can have a Fiendish Pseudonatural Cat made from the stitched together corpses of several Fiendish Pseudonatural Cats?"). Oozemaster from one of the Faerun books lets you get some oozies. Thrall of Jubilex might actually let you rebuke/summon them, if I remember it right.

Leon
2007-08-30, 04:07 AM
("Why settle for a Pseudonatural Cat when you can have a [i]Fiendish[i] Pseudonatural Cat made from the stitched together corpses of several Fiendish Pseudonatural Cats?")

Haha, thats a good one :smallbiggrin:

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-30, 04:35 AM
Haha, thats a good one :smallbiggrin:

It's not mine though. Adapted from this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=13584702).