PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Hexslinger - Multiclass Build Advice

tmjr6
2018-03-07, 08:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I'll be playing in a new campaign soon and I'll be playing a different take on Matt Mercer's gunslinger. In the DM's world there were two major cultures of ancient civilization The Makers and Breakers, because of the latter the world is completely fractured and all sense of government is at the city state level at best. My character went on an expedition to one of the workshops of the Breakers and discovered a workshop of the creator of firearms, a now lost tech. Upon removing one of the pepperboxes from its workshop she unknowingly formed a pact with the creator. She now has a rush of inspiration and newfound desire to continue the creation of firearms, slowly being influenced by her new patron.

We'll be starting at level 5, the only things set in stone are the race (half-elf) and background (archaeologist from ToA). We rolled stats and I got the following (before racial mods): 9, 7, 15, 11, 12, 18. I'd like to stick to just Matt Mercer's Gunslinger Fighter subclass and the Hexblade warlock for multiclassing. We're allowed to use any official material as well as the Tal'Dorei Campaign Guide. How would you recommend building this character? Any feats I should consider taking? The campaign is more adventure based so we could theoretically go to level 20, but we don't currently have an end goal for levels.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-07, 09:44 PM
Hey everyone,

I'll be playing in a new campaign soon and I'll be playing a different take on Matt Mercer's gunslinger. In the DM's world there were two major cultures of ancient civilization The Makers and Breakers, because of the latter the world is completely fractured and all sense of government is at the city state level at best. My character went on an expedition to one of the workshops of the Breakers and discovered a workshop of the creator of firearms, a now lost tech. Upon removing one of the pepperboxes from its workshop she unknowingly formed a pact with the creator. She now has a rush of inspiration and newfound desire to continue the creation of firearms, slowly being influenced by her new patron.

We'll be starting at level 5, the only things set in stone are the race (half-elf) and background (archaeologist from ToA). We rolled stats and I got the following (before racial mods): 9, 7, 15, 11, 12, 18. I'd like to stick to just Matt Mercer's Gunslinger Fighter subclass and the Hexblade warlock for multiclassing. We're allowed to use any official material as well as the Tal'Dorei Campaign Guide. How would you recommend building this character? Any feats I should consider taking? The campaign is more adventure based so we could theoretically go to level 20, but we don't currently have an end goal for levels.
I don't have access to the Tal'Dorei campaign guide but from what i've read I don't think it has feats.

Is your DM allowing you to use one of your guns as your hexblade? That honestly is what makes or breaks this build, I'm assuming Yes or yes with the caveat that you need the improved pact weapon feature. This is a pain because you have to have 13 in dex to MC out of fighter but you want High INT. for your tinkerer checks and decent wisdom for Grit.

Glass Cannon
Half elf (Scag drow would give you a free darkness which combined with lvl 2 devil sight gives you advantage to not misfire as much.)
7,13*,9,12*,15,20- Odd ability scores suck but this gets your MC and a 20 starting charisma which is killer for a Hexblade. You might get better options out of switching your int and wis scores to more rapidly make progress with your tinkering.
Fighter 2 Hexblade 3 if your dm needs the improved pact weapon or...
Fighter 4 Hexblade 1 if not.
Feats that I would grab,

Sharpshooter ignore cover and distance disadvantage
Elven accuracy Even less chance of misfire, also gives you a +1 to Wisdom or Intelligence to even out that odd score.
Lucky
Prodigy if your dm let's you expertise tinker's tools
Crossbow Expert No disadvantage when in melee, DM might allow the bonus attack to work with a pepperbox or a pistol

tmjr6
2018-03-07, 09:52 PM
I can use a pistol as my hexblade, but if I wanted to pact of the blade it or use a two-handed firearm then I would have to take the improved pact weapon invocation.

Vogie
2018-03-07, 10:42 PM
It depends on what you want. To get, for example, Percy, but with a level in Hexblade rather than magic initiate, you only need 1 level.

If you need that pact of the blade / improved pact weapon, you need at least 3

If you need Eldritch Smite (Or 3rd level spells, or a third invocation), you need 5.

It really depends on:
When you want to get ASIs
When you want to get extra attacks
What level Spells you want
How many attacks you want
How many Invocations you want

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-07, 10:44 PM
I can use a pistol as my hexblade, but if I wanted to pact of the blade it or use a two-handed firearm then I would have to take the improved pact weapon invocation.

Nice, that being the case I would go Fighter 4, Hexblade 1
Archery Fighting style
Feat at 4: elven accuracy, makes dead-eye even better and also gets you another grit point to use. With advantage and elven accuracy you have about a 15ish percent chance of getting a crit, 30ish on your cursed target.
I would grab fighter 5 next for extra attack.

From there it's honestly personal preference, Higher in fighter to get more attacks and feats, or move along in warlock for spells, eldritch smite, improved pact weapon, Lifedrinker, Devil's sight, and improvements to your curse.

Either way the quick damage stuff is done, nearly everything else will take a minute to get to.

Edit: Fighter 11/HB 9: three attacks, two fifth level spell slots, 5 invocations, you lose 1 ASI and you don't get armor of hexes.