PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder full attack or somewhat equivelent and move

MeeposFire
2018-03-07, 10:00 PM
Just in case a group I knows wants to play PF I want ot play a weapon user of some sort but my biggest gripe in the system is of course how if you move 10+ feet you lose most of your offensive capability.

Now to make your lives difficult.

I do not want something using the most crazy OP shenanigans such as boosting weapon size 20 times and using vital strike. I would rather something that can be used in a "typical" game. I also want to avoid needing specific magic items and magic in general.

What I want to be able to do is to be able to move when needed and still have decent offensive capability similar to making a full attack (if not a full attack) essentially what you can do in every other edition of D&D by default but for some reason in 3e type games we have to jump through hoops.

I know about vital strike but it is awfully expensive unless you are a fighter and even then unless you are gaming the system for size increases or the like I do not think it is worth very much unless there is something newer I do not know about it.

If I cannot find anything I can go ranged with the idea that at least then I can reduce the need to move but it still does not allow me to move if needed and still be effective (I guess I am the only person who misses 3e multishot rather than PF multishot).

MindTheGap97
2018-03-07, 10:24 PM
So, the most obvious thing springing to mind is pounce, Barbarians can get it at level 10 through Greater Beast Totem, there should be a way to get rage powers on non-Barbarian characters (I think in ultimate wilderness), now I am at work and cannot check sadly, when I come back tonight I'll check it out.

RFLS
2018-03-08, 01:33 AM
What you want is an AoO build. Off the top of my head, a Master of Many Styles monk can make a really nasty AoO character. There might be another archetype you have to throw in there to get it to shine, but it's not coming to mind. With an AoO build, you have two focuses: picking up as many ways to make foes provoke your AoOs, and stacking damage and/or status effects onto them.

Bucky
2018-03-08, 01:36 AM
Is Path of War on the table? Some of the maneuvers allow multiple attacks as a standard action.

Kurald Galain
2018-03-08, 01:42 AM
What I want to be able to do is to be able to move when needed and still have decent offensive capability similar to making a full attack (if not a full attack) essentially what you can do in every other edition of D&D by default but for some reason in 3e type games we have to jump through hoops.

Play a Magus. At level four you can cast Bladed Dash to move 30' and make all your iteratives plus one. At level ten you can do the same with Dimension Door.

U-Monk also has a straightforward move-and-full-attack option in the form of Flying Kick.

MeeposFire
2018-03-08, 02:06 AM
What you want is an AoO build. Off the top of my head, a Master of Many Styles monk can make a really nasty AoO character. There might be another archetype you have to throw in there to get it to shine, but it's not coming to mind. With an AoO build, you have two focuses: picking up as many ways to make foes provoke your AoOs, and stacking damage and/or status effects onto them.

I used to play the old AoO sort of character a long time ago however I would say that while potentially I would be open to doing that again it does not really do what I want. AoO builds are built mostly for the off turn what I am trying to fix is on my turn so even if I did build for an AoO build I still want to be able to move and attack effectively.

Is Path of War on the table? Some of the maneuvers allow multiple attacks as a standard action.

Sorry no. I could use psionics though I am technically trying to avoid casting as much as possible but the group is not using ToB analogs.

Play a Magus. At level four you can cast Bladed Dash to move 30' and make all your iteratives plus one. At level ten you can do the same with Dimension Door.

U-Monk also has a straightforward move-and-full-attack option in the form of Flying Kick.

To be honest I was really hoping that magic was not going to be needed. I would consider a magus if I wanted to do casting (though if I was going to do that psychic warrior would sound really nice) but I was really hoping to not play something so based on daily resources (and when I play a magus I really have to try to get an at will spell to use with my weapon use but I really do not want to pull something like that in this game).

The monk I will have to take a look at as that is closer to what I was looking for though I am unsure if they are using unleashed classes or not. I better have a contingency if they do not.

Kurald Galain
2018-03-08, 02:27 AM
To be honest I was really hoping that magic was not going to be needed. I would consider a magus if I wanted to do casting (though if I was going to do that psychic warrior would sound really nice)
There's also a psychic Magus if you're so inclined.

but I was really hoping to not play something so based on daily resources (and when I play a magus I really have to try to get an at will spell to use with my weapon use but I really do not want to pull something like that in this game).
I'm really not sure what you mean by "pull[ing] something like that". Using at-will cantrips with your weapon is how the Magus is intended to work, the designers have confirmed this. It is not in the least controversial in any campaign I've seen, including PFS.

RFLS
2018-03-08, 02:52 AM
Cavalier + this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/mounted-skirmisher-combat/) gets you there, but it's even later than the barbarian's Pounce. Otoh, I believe your mount is also granted an attack at the end of a charge. So that's 2 attacks at the end of your movement. Not great, but better. Pick a small race without a Str penalty and you're good in the size department.

I suspect alchemist can do some nasty things with its mutagens, vivisectionist, and the metamorph archetype (which trades away your extracts to prevent the caster feel).

MeeposFire
2018-03-08, 09:47 PM
There's also a psychic Magus if you're so inclined.

I'm really not sure what you mean by "pull[ing] something like that". Using at-will cantrips with your weapon is how the Magus is intended to work, the designers have confirmed this. It is not in the least controversial in any campaign I've seen, including PFS.

Sorry I did not mean typical cantrips but rather using shenanigans to make higher level spells (such as 1st level spells) and making them cantrips which I think required using 3e stuff. That why I was saying pulling some stuff because I really do not want to dumpster dive like that to make it something I want to play again.

Frankly I was hoping to do something similar to playing a fighter or aegis but mobile fighter gains the ability really slowly and as far as I know there are no special ways to do it with the aegis. I could do it with a soul knife by using gifted to get some psionic powers but I have done that before and was not really looking forward to do it again right now.

Sorry for being kind of a pain I am just trying to see what kind of options I have and the less magical the better which of course makes things harder.

grarrrg
2018-03-08, 10:06 PM
RANGER + this feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/mounted-skirmisher-combat/) gets you there, but it's THE SAME LEVEL AS the barbarian's Pounce.

Fixed that (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/ranger-combat-styles/) for you.

Bucky
2018-03-09, 12:27 AM
A mounted charger build with Spirited Charge and a lance gets triple damage on their one hit, which is generally better than they could get from a full attack. The trick is to stack up more damage bonuses to triple on top of the normal 2-handed power attack.

Catfolk can pick up the Claw Pounce (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/claw-pounce-combat-catfolk) racial feat to full attack with their natural weapons at level 10. Kitsune have a similar but more restrictive feat.

Pummeling Charge has steep prerequisites (2 feats) and only works on unarmed strikes, but it's somewhat competitive with a pounce on a Brawler or Monk (who can pick it up at level 8).

Flinging Charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/flinging-charge-combat/) lets you make two attacks from a single charge, coming online at level 6.

RFLS
2018-03-09, 01:42 AM
Fixed that (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/ranger-combat-styles/) for you.

I'll be damned. Cavalier does its own thing worse than someone else.

Incorrect
2018-03-09, 03:55 AM
How about something like Skirmish? Getting bonus damage dice when you move more than 10ft.

Manyasone
2018-03-09, 04:35 AM
How about checking out spheres of might. It is third party content, but martials can have nice things in it

Psyren
2018-03-09, 10:59 AM
To be honest I was really hoping that magic was not going to be needed. I would consider a magus if I wanted to do casting (though if I was going to do that psychic warrior would sound really nice) but I was really hoping to not play something so based on daily resources (and when I play a magus I really have to try to get an at will spell to use with my weapon use but I really do not want to pull something like that in this game).

Could you be more specific about what race/class you actually want to use, and the level of magic you're willing to accept? There's actually multiple ways to get pounce or pseudo-pounce in this game, but a lot of them are for specific builds.

MeeposFire
2018-03-09, 11:50 PM
Could you be more specific about what race/class you actually want to use, and the level of magic you're willing to accept? There's actually multiple ways to get pounce or pseudo-pounce in this game, but a lot of them are for specific builds.

I was hoping something like fighter or aegis and I was going to keep it simple with a common race depending on my mood (human, dwarf, halfling I am not going that far afield for this group if they decide to play PF).

All things considered it sounds like I should go with an old standby of psionic warrior and that way I would have access to some simple teleports and of course hustle. I will have to deal with power points but at least I won't lose everything because an enemy is over 5 feet away from my reach.