PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Removing magic from a player crafted item

Uskardx42
2018-03-08, 12:35 AM
I am playing around with building my own customized magic items using the 3.5 rule books, and while I believe I have an understanding of how to add new spells and magic to an existing magic item I was trying to figure out if magic could be permanently removed.

For example, if I craft silk gloves that I enchant to have Mage Hand, Open/Close, and Animate Rope and then in the future I want to use a metamagic feat to enlarge the range ( i.e. double it) for Mage Hand would I need to "remove" or "take off" the first iteration of Mage Hand or does that stay and we simply ignore the old version that is on the item and only use the new version?

I am not currently aware of an in-game mechanic that allows for the permanent removal or "disenchantment" of spells that have already been worked into an item.

And finally, would there even be a reason or necessity to do this or, as stated above, do we just ignore the old version of the spell?

** Alternatively could an argument be made that since the spell already exists in the object, and if a caster has access to the appropriate metamagic and casting slots, could the spell simply be "upgraded" by paying the gold and XP cost difference between the original cost for the spell and the cost if it would have been metamagiced in the first place?

Thank you for any ideas, suggestions, and input.

Uskardx42

Venger
2018-03-08, 12:42 AM
** Alternatively could an argument be made that since the spell already exists in the object, and if a caster has access to the appropriate metamagic and casting slots, could the spell simply be "upgraded" by paying the gold and XP cost difference between the original cost for the spell and the cost if it would have been metamagiced in the first place?

Thank you for any ideas, suggestions, and input.

Uskardx42

No argument necessary, this is how the rules work. Pay the difference, meet any new prereqs if needed, upgrade the item, and enjoy life.

Uskardx42
2018-03-08, 01:27 AM
No argument necessary, this is how the rules work. Pay the difference, meet any new prereqs if needed, upgrade the item, and enjoy life.

Thank you very much for the clarification.
I am very appreciative.

I do have an additional question.

Are there any rules for adding multiple copies of the same spell to an item?
For example, if I wanted to enchant an item with a continuous Unseen Servant, but two copies of that spell.

I would presume, within the context established above, that if any upgrades were to be applied to multiple copies of the same spell then the upgrade cost would also apply each time?

Thank you for your input.

Uskardx42

Venger
2018-03-08, 02:05 AM
yeah, you've pretty much got it. that specific item exists in an old april fool's article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) and is fairly popular.