PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Monk Weapons

Yogibear41
2018-03-08, 01:25 AM
Working on a Monk/Paladin/Argent Fist and I am looking for some alternative monk weapons.

I am looking for a 1 handed or two handed weapon that I can count as a special monk weapon in order to benefit from the class's abilities, as well as so I can get my strength x 1.5 on damage. I know I can technically use a quarterstaff for this, but I don't really like the feel of that. My current solution is taking Whirling Steel Strike so I can count the longsword as a special monk weapon, but since I can't flurry of blows anyway because I will be wearing armor it seems like a waste to spend 2 feats 1 on weapon focus, and one on it to be able to use it.

Was wondering if there were any alternative weapons or alternate class features I could use to meet this goal.

Jowgen
2018-03-08, 02:00 AM
Dragon mag 330 p. 90 has some alternate weapon styles iirc

Venger
2018-03-08, 02:01 AM
Working on a Monk/Paladin/Argent Fist and I am looking for some alternative monk weapons.

I am looking for a 1 handed or two handed weapon that I can count as a special monk weapon in order to benefit from the class's abilities, as well as so I can get my strength x 1.5 on damage. I know I can technically use a quarterstaff for this, but I don't really like the feel of that. My current solution is taking Whirling Steel Strike so I can count the longsword as a special monk weapon, but since I can't flurry of blows anyway because I will be wearing armor it seems like a waste to spend 2 feats 1 on weapon focus, and one on it to be able to use it.

Was wondering if there were any alternative weapons or alternate class features I could use to meet this goal.

Is your build set?

What options are you open to re: adding more weapons to your proficiency list? Feats? acfs? sub levels? or are dips on the table?

regardless of your answers, i've assembled a spread for you:

CLASSES
master of masks (complete scoundrel) skills are a little annoying, but a 1+ lvl dip in master of masks gives proficiency with all weapons. I'll look for ways to make stuff you're proficient with special monk weapons.

shou disciple (dragon compendium) lets you treat all light as monk weapons and later any melee weapons

FEATS
pole master (secrets of sarlona) lets you make any hafted weapon (like a spear, guisarme, etc) into a monk weapon. I advise you take the duom, which can beat up bad guys adjacent and at 10 feet and paladin provides access to since it's martial

double steel strike: (eberron campaign setting) gives you two-bladed sword

serpent strike: (eberron campaign setting) gives you longspear

unorthodox flurry (dragon compendium) do monk stuff with any light weapon. buy an aptitude weapon and apply this feat to whatever weapon you want and you're done. also has no prereqs, so this is a winner.

BOOKS
oriental adventures, without any investment adds a bunch of weapons to your list: butterfly sword, club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, javelin, jitte, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and tonfa, butterfly sword, club, jitte, kama, lajatang,
nekode, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, three-section staff, and tonfa

so you can check which of those are one or two handed

emeraldstreak
2018-03-08, 02:46 AM
The simple solution: keep Whirling Steel Strike and use a Large longsword instead. Now you do 2d6+1.5xStr damage with a monk weapon, but suffer a -2 penalty to attacks.

The complex solution:
1) have a feat that makes a weapon a monk weapon (Whirling Steel Strike or whichever).
2) Have a greatsword with the Aptitude enchantment from ToB.
3) Apply the feat to the greatsword. Now you do 2d6+1.5xStr damage with a monk weapon.

Yogibear41
2018-03-08, 03:05 AM
i'm not worried about the base damage, I just need it to NOT be a light weapon, you can get 1.5 Strength bonus with a regular one-handed weapon if you use it two-handed.

I'm already proficient with all martial weapons from paladin.

Currently Monk 2/Paladin 4/Argent Fist 2

We are starting at level 8.

Venger
2018-03-08, 03:14 AM
i'm not worried about the base damage, I just need it to NOT be a light weapon, you can get 1.5 Strength bonus with a regular one-handed weapon if you use it two-handed.

I'm already proficient with all martial weapons from paladin.

Currently Monk 2/Paladin 4/Argent Fist 2

We are starting at level 8.

I already posted a solution to this. Take unorthodox flurry, buy an aptitude weapon, and now any weapon you want is a monk weapon.

emeraldstreak
2018-03-08, 03:14 AM

It sounds you're after saving feats then. A top choice would be a Large Kama (so it's a one-handed weapon) with the Scorpion enchant from MiC (4k flat cost, supplants weapon dice with unarmed dice).

Edit: I once played a Monk/Paladin/Argent Fist in an Eberron campaign. I don't remember much, and the charsheet itself is lost to the ravages of time, however I do remember this character was a Saint, fought with a morningstar because Rakshasa (or Golden Ice unarmed), and had comparable AC in both full plate and Greater Luminous Armor.

DrMotives
2018-03-08, 06:46 AM
BOOKS
oriental adventures, without any investment adds a bunch of weapons to your list: butterfly sword, club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, javelin, jitte, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and tonfa, butterfly sword, club, jitte, kama, lajatang,
nekode, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, three-section staff, and tonfa

so you can check which of those are one or two handed

That isn't a list of special monk weapons, that's a list of weapons in OA monks are proficient in from taking 1 level of monk. It's followed by a shorter list pulled from that of what they can use their unarmed BAB & flurry with.
Monks are proficient with the following weapons: butterfly sword, club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, javelin, jitte, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and tonfa. Monks can use any of the following weapons with their unarmed base attack bonus: butterfly sword, club, jitte, kama, lajatang, nekode, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, three-section staff, and tonfa.

Notice that crossbow, dagger, javelin, and shuriken don't fall on that shorter list. Although the image of a monk going full Bruce Lee with the buttstock of a heavy crossbow is kinda cool. I think there was something somewhere about buttstocks of crossbows counting as clubs and allowing someone to threaten spaces with one, although that may have required a feat.