PDA

View Full Version : Corellon Larethian - What happened with him?

Matrota
2018-03-08, 01:47 AM
So I was looking on the Forgotten Realms wiki, and there's information for Corellon Larethian from 1st-4th edition, but nothing for 5th. A look into the 5th edition PHB shows that he doesn't appear in the Forgotten Realms pantheon, which is a pantheon he has always been a part of. He literally created the elves. Scrolling down he appears under non-human deities, as do most every racial deity from the Forgotten Realms. Is there any reason they separated them? Is there any lore I'm missing or is this just strange indexing on WotC's side? Why are there no stats for him?

Mordaedil
2018-03-08, 01:49 AM
They filtered out a lot of Greyhawk legacy stuff, to every Eilistraee fans great headache.

Inevitability
2018-03-08, 02:01 AM
4e was quite opposed to the idea of racial deities with very little traits other than 'the elfiest elf who ever elved', which is why they took steps to make sure all deities would be appealing to all PCs (so Moradin became the general god of craftsman, Corellon of the arts, and so on).

5e distanced it from a number of 4e's changes, and 'no racial deities' was one of those. I suspect they may be trying to cement this by listing the racial deities separately.

Matrota
2018-03-08, 02:04 AM
Oh whoops, meant to post this in the 5e/next forum. Thanks for the input so far though. If a mod would be so kind as to move this post it would be greatly appreciated.

zergling.exe
2018-03-08, 03:24 AM
Oh whoops, meant to post this in the 5e/next forum. Thanks for the input so far though. If a mod would be so kind as to move this post it would be greatly appreciated.

Easiest way to do that would be to report it asking for it to be moved. Mods understand it happens sometimes.

Irennan
2018-03-08, 06:13 AM
They filtered out a lot of Greyhawk legacy stuff, to every Eilistraee fans great headache.

Eilistraee is not GH, tho, she's purely FR (and she has returned in 5e, thankfully, just not in the PHB. She's in the Sword Coast Adventurere's Guide, a couple AL modules, and is lightly featured in one of Greenwood's 5e novels).

@OP. Corellon is still his (its?) own self in 5e, nothing happened to him. He's both in the PHB and in the Realms-specific Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. The Wiki just needs an update (many deity pages still need to be updated).

Mordaedil
2018-03-08, 06:25 AM
Eilistraee is not GH, tho, she's purely FR (and she has returned in 5e, thankfully, just not in the PHB. She's in the Sword Coast Adventurere's Guide, a couple AL modules, and is lightly featured in one of Greenwood's 5e novels).

I know, Corellon was however a bit part of her lore and the cutting of Corellon from FR weakened her lore in FR.

She wasn't alone in that, however she is the only one I know to have a fairly active community online devoted to her lore.

Irennan
2018-03-08, 06:28 AM
I know, Corellon was however a bit part of her lore and the cutting of Corellon from FR weakened her lore in FR.

She wasn't alone in that, however she is the only one I know to have a fairly active community online devoted to her lore.

Corellon is a quite significant in her lore (being her father), but he hasn't been cut from the Realms, to my knowledge. What leads you to think that? He has been incuded in the only FR lorebook that they released for 5e (the Sword Coast book), and that was supposed to provide a general update of the Realms in the post-Sundering era.

Âmesang
2018-03-08, 07:11 AM
Weren't the non-human racial deities always their own separate thing that was tacked on to FORGOTTEN REALMS® and WORLD OF GREYHAWK® (sort of why Lolth features heavily in the former despite originating in the latter)?

Irennan
2018-03-08, 07:17 AM
Weren't the non-human racial deities always their own separate thing that was tacked on to FORGOTTEN REALMS® and WORLD OF GREYHAWK® (sort of why Lolth features heavily in the former despite originating in the latter)?

Yes, all of them were, with the exception of the elven deity of vengeance, Shevarash, and of the drow pantheon (Eilistraee, Vhaeraun, Selvetarm, Kiaransalee, and Ghaunadaur). They are Greenwood's creation, with Eilistraee and Vhaeraun dating back to his personal work even before TSR asked him to create a drow pantheon. Lolth's origin story is also different in the Realms.

hamishspence
2018-03-08, 07:21 AM
I thought Kiaransalee existed in the Greyhawk universe as well- as "Kiaransali" - being involved with the whole "Death and Resurrection of Orcus" thing.

Mordaedil
2018-03-08, 07:32 AM
Corellon is a quite significant in her lore (being her father), but he hasn't been cut from the Realms, to my knowledge. What leads you to think that? He has been incuded in the only FR lorebook that they released for 5e (the Sword Coast book), and that was supposed to provide a general update of the Realms in the post-Sundering era.

I haven't really been keeping up on the lore lately, but you know people make a lot more noise when complaining about their favorite thing going missing than it being reincluded.

Irennan
2018-03-08, 07:45 AM
I thought Kiaransalee existed in the Greyhawk universe as well- as "Kiaransali" - being involved with the whole "Death and Resurrection of Orcus" thing.

She was first introduced in TSR "The Drow of the Underdark", written by Ed. She was later included in GH, but she's not an original Gygax's creation.

LibraryOgre
2018-03-08, 01:10 PM
Moved from 3.x at creators request.

Unoriginal
2018-03-08, 01:31 PM
So I was looking on the Forgotten Realms wiki, and there's information for Corellon Larethian from 1st-4th edition, but nothing for 5th. A look into the 5th edition PHB shows that he doesn't appear in the Forgotten Realms pantheon, which is a pantheon he has always been a part of. He literally created the elves. Scrolling down he appears under non-human deities, as do most every racial deity from the Forgotten Realms. Is there any reason they separated them? Is there any lore I'm missing or is this just strange indexing on WotC's side? Why are there no stats for him?

Just to say, it should be "what happened with them?" Corellon's not a dude. Well, not only a dude.

Corellon Larethian is an important deity in 5e. They are mentioned several times in the various books, and a lot of their history will be covered in the upcoming Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

What we know is that, according to the most likely legend, Corellon gave birth to the elves involuntarily, as Gruumsh attacked the deity and made them bleed, with the primordial elves emerging from the spilled blood.

Being a chaotic entity, Corellon didn't really have interest with being the authority figures for the semi-divine entities the elves where back then, so they said something like "do whatver you want, be whatever you want, I support you and am sure you'll do great", then went back to their own device.

The elves at first enjoyed their miraculous capacities, notably the one to be whatever they wanted, but they soon realized how aimless and purposeless they were, and how absent their progenitor was. In particular in comparison to the Dwarves, who had a very close relationship with their creator and the god-given challenge of reaching excellency.

This lead to Lolth telling the elves "why don't you follow MY way? I give direction. I give purpose". And they abandoned Corellon. Then a lot realized that following Lolth was a terrible idea and refused to jump down the slippery slope, but it was too late, they were already cast out of their heavenly plane, sent to the Feywild.