PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Featherfall and component pouch?

Merudo
2018-03-08, 05:04 AM
From my reading of the rules, Featherfall cannot be used with a component pouch (only a focus).

This is because reactions cannot be used to manipulate objects, and thus the feather required to cast Featherfall cannot be grabbed in time.

I guess if you keep falling for more than a turn, you could use your free object interaction action during your turn to grab the feather, then cast the spell as a reaction. Xanathar's Guide to Everything says you fall 500 feet a turn, so that wouldn't protect you from falls of less than 500 feet.

vexedart
2018-03-08, 05:13 AM
The material component for featherfall doesn't have a listed cost so you can use an arcane focus to skip the material component.

Merudo
2018-03-08, 05:17 AM
The material component for featherfall doesn't have a listed cost so you can use an arcane focus to skip the material component.

Arcane focuses are not available to partial spellcasters, and they are inconvenient for multiclass characters.

From my reading of the rules, Featherfall cannot be used with a component pouch, only with a focus.

Cespenar
2018-03-08, 05:26 AM
The components of a spell aren't stated as needing extra actions, they are part of the spellcasting process. So a caster can very well use their reaction to cast Featherfall with a M component.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-08, 05:27 AM
Pretty sure grabbing the component for the spell falls under the Somatic part of casting if it applies to the spell. And the Material component for sure.

It wouldn't make any sense for a spell to be able to be cast with a focus, but not the actual component from a pouch.

Lombra
2018-03-08, 09:10 AM
Having a component pouch doesn't nean that you use your free item interaction to cast spells.

Zalabim
2018-03-08, 09:34 AM
Technically, using an arcane focus to cast your spell doesn't take an object interaction either. It's like making a ranged attack with a weapon that uses ammunition. You need a hand free to load arrows, but you don't have to be holding arrows or take any specific effort to draw an arrow.