PDA

View Full Version : Finding an Online Game in an Uncommon Location

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-08, 05:39 AM
Long-time lurker, first time poster.

TL/DR: I'm in Korea, logistics make in-person 5E play difficult, looking for an online 5e group, but having difficulties finding one. Off-chance: Anyone in East Asia running an online 5E game and looking for a player. Or have any suggestions on how to find one?

---

I am a long-term expat living in South Korea, and looking to get into a 5e group. Being in Korea, our options are pretty limited when it comes to traditional comic shops (they do exist, but they're pretty far away from my location), and the cross section of English-speaking expats who also want to play 5e, seems to be relatively small.

I've been looking for online groups, in places like Roll20, but the time zone difference limits the number of games available. I've applied to several in the "Join a Game" section, but I haven't heard anything - which is somehow even more depressing than not hearing back for a job interview.

Facebook groups exist, but again - small expat community, and I've yet to have any luck. Does anyone with more experience in this sort of thing have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Knaight
2018-03-08, 06:18 AM
Given that you'd prefer to use English there's a few ways around the timezone difference. Most notably, if you have a fairly normal schedule where you're free in the evening (call it 8 PM start time), that works out to 11 AM in GMT, and 3 AM in GMT-8. That lines you up with some real night owls in the western U.S. and Canada, and a really convenient weekend time for a lot of people in the U.K. Then there's Australia and New Zealand, which are even closer.

This is without getting into countries that aren't primarily anglophone but still have a lot of English speakers.

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-08, 07:31 AM
Thank you for the response.

My primary concern wasn't so much the time zones (although that is an issue), but more finding an alternative way to find games, themselves, outside of the actual Roll20 LFG forums - which seem to have been hit or miss so far. I've found a Discord server that's based in Australia that seems to a good and active.

Thanks again.

Firest Kathon
2018-03-08, 12:44 PM
Have you tried the recruitment section on this forum (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?51-Finding-Players-(Recruitment)) yet?

Mike Miller
2018-03-08, 01:41 PM
PbP games are always an option

Corsair14
2018-03-08, 02:35 PM
I don't know where you are in Korea and things have probably changed since I was there but we had a mixed military and mostly expat group over on Camp Casey and met every weekend(whoever wasn't in the field) over at the rec center. Things most likely have changed but gamers are there.

BreaktheStatue
2018-03-08, 07:44 PM
These are all great options, and I will run-down the leads in order. Appreciate it, everyone.

@Corsair14, I'm in western Seoul, quite a ways from Casey, but thank you for the suggestion. If it weren't for Yongsan shutting-down, I expect there'd probably be some guys there (although who knows, when I was stationed there it was mostly old field grades and sergeants major).

I will check-out PbP, and also the recruitment section. Again, thanks everyone.

Corsair14
2018-03-09, 08:09 AM
The Land of Oz is shutting down? Wow, that's a major hit. Stayed there a few times for a weekend RnR. Not too far by cab to Hooker Hill(for anyone not familiar, its not what it sounds like in general) and made for a comfortably western place to crash.