PDA

View Full Version : If you're stopping at level 11 but want to MC

Malaketh
2018-03-08, 10:33 AM
Hello folks, I posted a while back on a good class to play for ToA and I decided on Ranger. We are level 3(we are slow) and I went Gloomstalker.

I really want to MC into either rogue or fighter (or even both) but the adventure stops around level 11 and we all agreed to move on to something else after that.

So, when is a good breaking point from ranger in this case? 4 for the ASI? 5 for the extra attack? If I go rogue do I need the extra attack? Yes I know it increases sneak attack chance but is it still worth delaying my new class levels by 1, especially when we are stopping at 11?

Any advice is appreciated

Xihirli
2018-03-08, 10:40 AM
Since you’re not getting the multiple fighter extra attacks definitely go to at least Ranger 5 for second-level spells and Extra Attack.
What in particular do you want from Fighter and Rogue?

Xihirli
2018-03-08, 10:42 AM
As a quick guide, Ranger 5/Fighter 3/Rogue/3 gets you 2d6 sneak attack, battle master maneuvers or maybe the Samurai Advantage thing, Action Surge, Second Wind, Extra Attack, Cunning Action, and 2nd Level spells. If you want an ASI more than sneak attack you can drop a level of Rogue and go Fighter 4.
Of course as a Gloom Stalker there’s a lot you could do with Assassinate, so Rogue 3 becomes pretty tempting, even enough to drop Fighter to 2 for Rogue 4.

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-08, 10:55 AM
Most would wait at least for extra attack.

Personally I would take 8 levels in ranger for extra attacks, 2 ASIS and Wisdom saves.

But I understand if you want to be rogue-y right away if that's your concept. Gloomstalker should be a great compliment and if you level as slow as you claim, it might be 7th edition before you get to MC otherwise.

Last, do you have great stats? If you do, don't worry about the ASI. If you have average stats or used point build, I'd probably get that ASI before switching.

ZorroGames
2018-03-08, 12:45 PM
Take a look at PeteNutButter’s Ultimate multiclassing thread, it may help you decide.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-08, 12:53 PM
As a quick guide, Ranger 5/Fighter 3/Rogue/3 gets you 2d6 sneak attack, battle master maneuvers or maybe the Samurai Advantage thing, Action Surge, Second Wind, Extra Attack, Cunning Action, and 2nd Level spells. If you want an ASI more than sneak attack you can drop a level of Rogue and go Fighter 4.
Of course as a Gloom Stalker there’s a lot you could do with Assassinate, so Rogue 3 becomes pretty tempting, even enough to drop Fighter to 2 for Rogue 4.

I agree with this suggestion. If you're interested in Gloomstalker, the synergy with rogue (especially Assassin) and action surge is exceptional. Use Hunter's Mark and action surge on the first turn of combat for six attacks dealing a total damage of 6(weapon die)+2d8(GS)+6d6(HM)+2d6(SA)+static bonuses, if memory serves. All of those dice are doubled if you surprise the opponents and, therefore, critical hit.

Malaketh
2018-03-08, 01:33 PM
Most would wait at least for extra attack.

Last, do you have great stats? If you do, don't worry about the ASI. If you have average stats or used point build, I'd probably get that ASI before switching.

Sadly we are point buy so I really do want that juicy ASI. I would go ranger 8 but the base class seems so dull.

Since you’re not getting the multiple fighter extra attacks definitely go to at least Ranger 5 for second-level spells and Extra Attack.
What in particular do you want from Fighter and Rogue?

I am definitely going for the more roguey feel

Take a look at PeteNutButter’s Ultimate multiclassing thread, it may help you decide.

Thank you for that, that was an amazing read. Very informative.

I agree with this suggestion. If you're interested in Gloomstalker, the synergy with rogue (especially Assassin) and action surge is exceptional. Use Hunter's Mark and action surge on the first turn of combat for six attacks dealing a total damage of 6(weapon die)+2d8(GS)+6d6(HM)+2d6(SA)+static bonuses, if memory serves. All of those dice are doubled if you surprise the opponents and, therefore, critical hit.

Hmmm, so maybe I should get outta the class at 4, and be kind of a first strike wonder? We have lots of dps in the party anyway. Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue+ to the end.

It was the break off point I was most concerned with.

Easy_Lee
2018-03-08, 01:34 PM
Sadly we are point buy so I really do want that juicy ASI. I would go ranger 8 but the base class seems so dull.

I am definitely going for the more roguey feel

Thank you for that, that was an amazing read. Very informative.

Hmmm, so maybe I should get outta the class at 4, and be kind of a first strike wonder? We have lots of dps in the party anyway. Ranger 4/Fighter 2/Rogue+ to the end.

It was the break off point I was most concerned with.

You'd want five in ranger for extra attack.

Xihirli
2018-03-08, 02:23 PM
Ah okay.
You can max DEX (or leave it at 18 and grab Sharpshooter) if you take either of your multiclasses to 4, and if you want a more rogue-y feel I'd definitely recommend Ranger Gloom 5/Fighter 2/Rogue Assassin 4.
I'm assuming you're an archer, but if you find yourself drawn into melee you can grab the Dueling fighting style from Fighter or maybe just Defense. I'd allow Dread Ambusher to stack with Action Surge but if your DM doesn't it's still a fantastic combo.

That'll give you Dread Ambusher, Umbral Sight, 2nd level spells, Extra Attack (3 attacks on your first turn, 6 with Action Surge), advantage against anyone who hasn't acted yet in combat, automatic crits on surprised enemies, 2d6 Sneak Attack, two Fighting Styles, Thieves' Tool proficiency, DEX save proficiency, Expertise in two skills, Cunning Action, and probably a few things I've missed. Definitely a solid multiclass.

Malaketh
2018-03-08, 04:02 PM
Yup, I'm am archer,

Thank you all for the input. Going ranger 5 then, then fighter then assassin

Vogie
2018-03-08, 04:21 PM
I don't know, the core of Ranger 4/Fighter 2 is pretty strong by itself. If your encounters are going down really fast turn-wise, you'll likely get more DPR by going into Rogue for Sneak attacks. That will increase your burst significantly, and hopefully keep the encounters short. Then, once you start hitting longer and longer fights, fall back into Ranger for that extra attack, then pile up more rogue levels.