PDA

View Full Version : Does a tentacle rod "see"?

Dalebert
2018-03-08, 11:16 AM
Tentacle rods come with some weird loopholes. Since you're directing it to attack, it means you aren't attacking. It means you don't get your own attack modifiers or dmg bonuses. You also wouldn't get other things that are specifically related to your attacks like Hex bonus dmg. That has some weird ramifications. Some obvious ones are that if you're invisible, so is the rod since you're holding it, and yet it doesn't break invisibility. Some more complicated ones though:

* If you're in magical darkness that YOU can see through, does it attack with adv or as if it's blinded?

* Hexblade curse causes any dmg YOU do to be enhanced by your proficiency bonus. Unlike Hex, this isn't limited to attacks. It would, for instance, also be added to your spell dmg. Would it apply to the rod? I'm inclined to say "no", by the same reasoning that I would apply it to the dmg done by an animal you had summoned and the rod appears to be a semi-separate entity.

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-08, 01:08 PM
I hope someone weighs in on this because I just love the quirkiness and head-scratching effect of the tentacle rod. (Maybe it would be a fantastic back scratcher/massager too) It is so unlike other items.

It makes logical sense that it doesn't need to see but I could see that being abused a lot. And no one wants to see tentacle rod abuse. Hmmm maybe it is best then to always be heavily obscured when abusing a tentacle rod.

PracticalM
2018-03-08, 03:54 PM
Tentacle rods come with some weird loopholes. Since you're directing it to attack, it means you aren't attacking. It means you don't get your own attack modifiers or dmg bonuses. You also wouldn't get other things that are specifically related to your attacks like Hex bonus dmg. That has some weird ramifications. Some obvious ones are that if you're invisible, so is the rod since you're holding it, and yet it doesn't break invisibility. Some more complicated ones though:

* If you're in magical darkness that YOU can see through, does it attack with adv or as if it's blinded?

* Hexblade curse causes any dmg YOU do to be enhanced by your proficiency bonus. Unlike Hex, this isn't limited to attacks. It would, for instance, also be added to your spell dmg. Would it apply to the rod? I'm inclined to say "no", by the same reasoning that I would apply it to the dmg done by an animal you had summoned and the rod appears to be a semi-separate entity.

The description for tentacle rod is very clear that it attacks a creature you can see so the tentacles do not need sight.

I do not see how attacking with a tentacle rod doesn't break 2nd level spell invisibility. Either you've attacked with a magic weapon or you've cast a spell via the rod to trigger it. I would rule the former but I could see an interpretation for the latter.

As for attacking with advantage I would treat that as any other attack that the opponent didn't see (attack with advantage).

I would allow the hex blade curse to do extra damage because I don't interpret the rod as being a separate entity.

the secret fire
2018-03-08, 04:20 PM
And no one wants to see tentacle rod tentacle rod abuse.

Yes we do!

Dalebert
2018-03-09, 03:44 PM
I do not see how attacking with a tentacle rod doesn't break 2nd level spell invisibility. Either you've attacked with a magic weapon or you've cast a spell via the rod to trigger it. I would rule the former but I could see an interpretation for the latter.

Neither actually. You direct the rod to attack. You don't do the attack. It even has it's own attack bonus and your attack bonus is irrelevant. And there's no spell being cast. I'm not sure where you're getting that notion from. You're activating a magic item which is its own action separate from either attacking or casting a spell. That's why these rods are popular with sorcerers, because you can use it and then quicken a spell.

Chugger
2018-03-09, 07:35 PM
Oh yes we want tentacle rod abuse! Lots of it, too!

Moon druid turns into giant octopus which wields a Tentacle rod in each of its...er...tentacles! YES!

Elminster298
2018-03-09, 08:40 PM
Oh yes we want tentacle rod abuse! Lots of it, too!

Moon druid turns into giant octopus which wields a Tentacle rod in each of its...er...tentacles! YES!

An enlarged Goliath Barbarian dual wields two wild shaped octopus druids wielding a tentacle rod in each tentacle. 🤔

CircleOfTheRock
2018-03-09, 09:10 PM
An enlarged Goliath Barbarian dual wields two wild shaped octopus druids wielding a tentacle rod in each tentacle. 🤔
No, no, an enlarged Goliath Barbarian dual-wields two wild-shaped octopus druids wielding a halfling in each tentacle, who are dual-wielding pixies who are holding tentacle rods! :smallbiggrin:

Angelalex242
2018-03-09, 10:14 PM
And here I thought tentacle rods were just for abusing female tabaxi wearing schoolgirl uniforms.