PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Possible NPC ideas? Help a first campaign writer XD

Beeba17
2018-03-08, 12:56 PM
Hello! This is my first post here! :smallsmile:

I recently got a group of friends from school together to play D&D. They’ve been getting really into their characters and my other friend has been DMing Mines of Phandelver and I will get To DM some smaller presets before I go all in with this written campaign

Onto the NPCs in question

I’ve had this idea for a set of characters both acting as detectives or investigators one who’s a wizard and the other. I imagined as an undead spirit. Maybe a Lich or revenant

Before the PCs meet these 2 they were close companions and .. maybe romantically involved. They were both investigators and good at what they did. He was a wizard specializing in ice spells. And she was a form of necromancer who would speak with the souls of the victims she was investigating. Seeking their justice even if her soul was being corrupted. On one such investigation she was murdered and devastated her partner seemed out a way to give her soul peace.

I think from there it could lead into him making her a Lich or revenant. But I’m not really sure. Tell me what you think
I know a good Lich could be done if she was an elf or half elf. But a revenant is also interesting. Let me know if you have any ideas :)

Thralak
2018-03-08, 01:12 PM
I think Lich wouldn't really work unless the wizard is one of the most powerful in your world. Liches are CR 21, they're crazy powerful. But a revenant could work;

A revenant forms from the soul of a mortal who met a cruel and undeserving fate. It claws its way back into the world to seek revenge against the one who wronged it. - The Wizard of the Coast

That's pulled from the wiki page for 5e DnD Revenant race, and since you can apply it as a race template, you could have both of them in there as a story arc without making them the (likely) 2 most powerful NPCs in your campaign by necessity. Unless that's what you wanted to do anyway, in which case either could work. Though I still think that quote about the Revenant's nature makes it a better candidate for this particular situation.

Beeba17
2018-03-08, 02:53 PM
I think Lich wouldn't really work unless the wizard is one of the most powerful in your world. Liches are CR 21, they're crazy powerful. But a revenant could work;

A revenant forms from the soul of a mortal who met a cruel and undeserving fate. It claws its way back into the world to seek revenge against the one who wronged it. - The Wizard of the Coast

That's pulled from the wiki page for 5e DnD Revenant race, and since you can apply it as a race template, you could have both of them in there as a story arc without making them the (likely) 2 most powerful NPCs in your campaign by necessity. Unless that's what you wanted to do anyway, in which case either could work. Though I still think that quote about the Revenant's nature makes it a better candidate for this particular situation.

Thanks!! My 1 thing about the revenant is that they have the year time limit. Is there anyway to push that back? Mostly because I feel like by the time then PCs arrive. Both the wizard and revenant are aware of how the new status quo is. I know as DM of this I could make up some reason how she’s a longer lasting revenant or something, but I’m not sure :smallconfused:

Thunderfist12
2018-03-08, 11:22 PM
If you don't like the time limit: ignore it! It's your campaign, so in the end it's all your call really. You could possibly even keep a time limit on revenants if you like the concept of it, and perhaps her lover the Wizard has been keeping her alive through:

(1) A magic circle in which time stands still. She cannot leave the circle or she will eventually crumble to ash (decide how long she had left before the spell was cast, her life remains that long after she leaves).

(2) A powerful yet costly spell he created (or uncovered) which is slowly draining away at his years of life and giving them to her - basically transferring his life force. Perhaps he is of a long-lived race (such as dwarves or elves) and therefore has more years to give. In either case, he will have aged well beyond his years.

(3) The wizard has a dark secret. His lover expired long ago to the limits of her stay: however, he continues her existence by conjuring her soul into a new host whenever her flesh expires. It is likely her current form hides her undead nature, as he most likely gives her a fresh host when possible (or at least hides the rot with illusions, though the smell of decay on her would be a nice hint to drop before the players find out about the ordeal).

Beeba17
2018-03-08, 11:42 PM
If you don't like the time limit: ignore it! It's your campaign, so in the end it's all your call really. You could possibly even keep a time limit on revenants if you like the concept of it, and perhaps her lover the Wizard has been keeping her alive through:

(1) A magic circle in which time stands still. She cannot leave the circle or she will eventually crumble to ash (decide how long she had left before the spell was cast, her life remains that long after she leaves).

(2) A powerful yet costly spell he created (or uncovered) which is slowly draining away at his years of life and giving them to her - basically transferring his life force. Perhaps he is of a long-lived race (such as dwarves or elves) and therefore has more years to give. In either case, he will have aged well beyond his years.

(3) The wizard has a dark secret. His lover expired long ago to the limits of her stay: however, he continues her existence by conjuring her soul into a new host whenever her flesh expires. It is likely her current form hides her undead nature, as he most likely gives her a fresh host when possible (or at least hides the rot with illusions, though the smell of decay on her would be a nice hint to drop before the players find out about the ordeal).

I LOVE the second one!!!! Like
A L O T

But let me tweak it alittle..

So a revenants purpose is to avenge its death.
Maybe the other qualifier to his spell is
They haven’t found her killer.

Because I imagine these As good people. Who put others before themselves. Almost too much. So they spend more time solving other murders in the city than finding her own. So maybe at each year he has to convene with the god who made her a revenant And show all the good she’s done alive. And show why they haven’t been able to avenge her (So it’s not just him keeping her around and not doing nothing) and gives a year of his life to give her an extra year!
I could do this and make him an elf.
So that way he’s still aging faster but not so fast that she’s aware what’s Hes been doing for her yet
Cuz he knows if she did know she would leave because she wants him to live

I know it’s kinda to sappy but I really dig it and think it’s interesting to have 2 people so ready to give so much for eachother. It’s sweet and also kinda unnerving

thegreatone5224
2018-03-11, 11:30 PM
I think I may have to steal this idea, hehe

Beeba17
2018-03-12, 10:04 AM
I think I may have to steal this idea, hehe

Go for it! Let me know how it goes! I would love to hear these chaacters strories in your campaign! you can message me with any questions you may have! :smallbiggrin:

saltstorming
2018-03-15, 01:02 PM
Undead are quite honestly fascinating to me, especially those that retain their memories and personality. I wonder, what is the extent of preservation of the revenant's mind? Is she still like she was in life, or is she faded, more of a reflection of her former self? How does her lover view the situation?

Beeba17
2018-03-26, 12:33 AM
Undead are quite honestly fascinating to me, especially those that retain their memories and personality. I wonder, what is the extent of preservation of the revenant's mind? Is she still like she was in life, or is she faded, more of a reflection of her former self? How does her lover view the situation?

AFter giving this some thought I think she is mostly herself
If she was faded or lost. I think CC (as I’ve dubbed him for now it’s an abreviation for Cold Case which is the pun that made me wanna make him a Cyromancer) would only keep her around if she was happy being alive. It definitely kills him inside knowing he can’t hold her or love her like he used to but just hearing her voice and her cracking jokes is all he needs, maybe as he gives more of his years she fades more. Not really sure.
Tho I have made up my mind that she’s does discover why she’s lasted longer than a year. And I think she is upset at this and confronts her lover who when she asks why he’d so such a thing says

“I wanted to meet you in the middle”

Willing to let him waste all his time so he can spend all his life with her. Even if that cuts his life short

Climowitz
2018-03-27, 06:23 PM
Merge characters from books movies and shows. Take a couple of traits good and bad and create a mix of characters so it is original and yet easy to create. Strong personalities are always more interestimg for players.