PDA

View Full Version : Dervish Build

Draz74
2018-03-08, 02:47 PM
Race: Air Genasi
Background: Entertainer
STR 16, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 14 (assuming average Rolled stats, slightly better than Point-Buy, plus racial bonuses)

Bard 1 (Proficiencies: Intimidation, Religion, Survival; Spells: Vicious Mockery, Message, Feather Fall, Dissonant Whispers, Longstrider, Unseen Servant)
Barbarian 1
Bard 2 (Spell: Heroism)
Bard 3 (College: Swords; Fighting Style: Two-Weapon Fighting; Expertise: Acrobatics, Performance; Spells: Warding Wind, Heroism ➜ Enhance Ability)
Bard 4 (Feat: Dual Wielder; Spells: Mage Hand, Silence, Unseen Servant ➜ Heat Metal)
Barbarian 2
Barbarian 3 (Path: Storm Herald (Desert))
Barbarian 4 (Feat: Athlete (STR +1))
Barbarian 5
Bard 5 (Spell: Heroism)
Barbarian 6
Barbarian 7

The idea is to be a dual-scimitar-wielding, embodiment of the desert, whirling dervish.

Anyone else think this looks like a fun build? Optimal, certainly not (especially at low levels, and the way it takes forever to get an AC higher than 15). But flavorful, yes?

I'm not sure how the build would proceed past 12th level.

Any good spells from the Bard list for this concept besides the ones I've already picked? (Remember that she can't cast spells or concentrate on them while Raging, so subtle noncombat spells are probably ideal.)
Feats? (She probably will mostly want to concentrate on ASIs, but she can at least pick a half-feat to boost her Strength to an even number. Would Resilient (Strength) be worth it?)
Final level distribution? Magical Secrets is awfully tempting (Zephyr Strike and Steel Wind Strike, anyone?). But so are Barbarian features past 10, like Relentless Rage, Raging Storm, and Persistent Rage.

Specter
2018-03-08, 06:12 PM
I wouldn't take Barbarian level with a casting class, for obvious reasons. Why not Swords Bard straight up? Drunken Master seems to fit somehow too, but I don't know how.

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-08, 09:14 PM
If you’re making a Dervish, who I’m guessing is supposed to be dashing and dodging about, the Mobile feat is probably preferred, if not, required (Unless Drunken Monk).

mephnick
2018-03-08, 09:23 PM
Dervish doesn't jive with full casting to me. I'd go for desert Barb mixed with rogue using scimitars with strength. Maybe a level of fighter fo the fighting style.

Ganymede
2018-03-08, 09:43 PM
I think a zealot barbarian would be a better fit for a Howling Dervish. They were intensely religious figures and their whirling and dancing was deeply rooted in worship as opposed to a combat style.

Additionally, be aware that you'd need a bonus action for your off-hand scimitar and a bonus action to rage or activate your elemental mantle. You can't use both at once.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-09, 12:13 AM
instead of the bard levels i would suggest 3 level in rogue for swashbuckling. Is one of the best ways to twf. just have a 14 dex (easily acquired without losing anything in more important stats) and be able to sneak attack alot. the other 2 levels i would suggest Fighter for action surge and fighting style (second wind is nice too).

This makes a very effective Strengthbuckling Raging Desert Dervish Fighter.

The levels could go in alot of different places. I'd suggest Fighter as first level and the rest as follows.

Fighter 1
Barbarian 1
Barbarian 2
Barbarian 3
Barbarian 4
Barbarian 5
Rogue 1
Fighter 2
Rogue 2
Rogue 3
Barbarian 6

Then the rest Barbarian. Carry pocket sand loosely in your sleeves and stuff, so when you move your arms sand goes everywhere blind opponents and allwow you to do more damage (fluffed the sneak attack for you) .

MxKit
2018-03-09, 12:49 AM
Your build absolutely has fun, though I have no idea how I'd build it past 12. Super flavorful and just a blast! I like the idea of spells out of combat and Rages during it.

I think if I were building a similar character, it might be something like...

Race: Earth Genasi (for the sand element)
Background: Acolyte/Entertainer mix (giving Performance, Religion, and two languages)
STR 14, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 8 (using the same stats as yours, just rearranged and given the Earth Genasi stat adjustments)

1. Monk 1 (Proficiencies: Acrobatics, Insight)
2. Monk 2
3. Monk 3 (Tradition: Drunken Master)
4. Monk 4 (ASI: +2 Str)
5. Monk 5
6. Barbarian 1
7. Barbarian 2
8. Barbarian 3 (Path: Storm Herald)
9. Monk 6
10. Monk 7
11. Barbarian 4
12. Barbarian 5
13. Barbarian 6
14. Monk 8 (ASI: +2 Con) (this and Barb 6 can be switched if I'm really hurting for this ASI)
15. Barbarian 7
16. Barbarian 8 (ASI: +2 Str)
17. Barbarian 9
18. Barbarian 10

...then a final two levels either in Barbarian for Relentless Rage and an extra ASI (+2 Str probably), or Monk for an extra 2 ki, depending.
Not perfect, I might adjust it some, but something like that!

X3r4ph
2018-03-09, 02:51 AM
I remember the capstone from the old Dervish was "something a Thousand Cuts". To me that screams Ranger Hunter 11 Whirlwind.

A lot of other good suggestions. Just wantef to give the poor old Ranger some love.

Specter
2018-03-09, 08:04 AM
I remember the capstone from the old Dervish was "something a Thousand Cuts". To me that screams Ranger Hunter 11 Whirlwind.

A lot of other good suggestions. Just wantef to give the poor old Ranger some love.

This is good, but not great because WA's wording doesn't allow for TWF.

Spacehamster
2018-03-09, 10:49 AM
What about blade singer wizard 12, 4 zealot barb, 4 fighter? Would fit the mold too pretty well I believe