PDA

View Full Version : another EOTW plot

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:01 PM
I am planning a Chaos Marine attack on the Town for September 22nd,any objection's should be posted and probably ignored:smalltongue:

Nightwing
2007-08-29, 04:05 PM
*Banges head into desk*

Not another one!

Emperor Ing
2007-08-29, 04:06 PM
im fine, for now. As long as Blackout doesnt spam "Get out" to general Aier constantly throughout the battle. :smallannoyed:

metakirb
2007-08-29, 04:06 PM
indeed... i'm still working up to the second half of the corolox plot... as soon as waddle deciphers a simple map...

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:07 PM
Blackout is running some of the Chaos troop's:smallbiggrin:

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 04:08 PM
Objection: Planet-destruction level tech has no place in a fantasy setting. Therefore, all WH40K, Star Wars, and other future-tech factions should not be in Town in the first place.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-08-29, 04:09 PM
Objection: Planet-destruction level tech has no place in a fantasy setting. Therefore, all WH40K, Star Wars, and other future-tech factions should not be in Town in the first place.Where have you been for the last six months or so? LOTS of people have futuristic technology in Town nowadays. It's free form; deal.

metakirb
2007-08-29, 04:10 PM
meh, i created my tech beating friend coronox for those purposes... LV moans because he can't kill him with tech... try some magic?

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:10 PM
As I said all objection's shall be ignored.:smalltongue:

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 04:11 PM
Where have you been for the last six months or so? LOTS of people have futuristic technology in Town nowadays. It's free form; deal.
It's free form in an established setting that does not include high technology. As for where I've been, I've been right here, wishing all you nublets would stop screwing the whole thing up, but ignoring it until it goes away seems to not be working.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-08-29, 04:15 PM
It's NOT an established setting. There are no rules regarding what content can or cannot be put into the Town. And there shouldn't be any either, in my opinion. You are talking as though you own the place or something; and I'd appreciate not being called a 'nublet'.

metakirb
2007-08-29, 04:16 PM
Pleh... i'm wondering how long it takes LV to realize a balance is needed to defend the town properly... all tech loses to corolox...

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 04:16 PM
There's literally years of precedent showing that medieval-level tech is the norm of the setting. As for "the last six months," I might add that while I've been here, you have not, seeing how your join date was this June, so I'm wondering just where you thought you were going to go with that.

Emperor Ing
2007-08-29, 04:17 PM
It's NOT an established setting. There are no rules regarding what content can or cannot be put into the Town. And there shouldn't be any either, in my opinion.

COMPLETELY AGREE!!! Not to mention the founders of The Town probably arent active playgrounders either. But still, its hard to argue against people with missles the size of office buildings, or Death Stars, or deadly virus-launching torpedos, or a lot of explosives. Or big guns. blah blah blah, you get the point.

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:19 PM
make A Discussion Thread This Is For Invasion Stuff!

Emperor Ing
2007-08-29, 04:21 PM
:smallconfused: this IS the discussion thread
no need to shout, dude!

metakirb
2007-08-29, 04:21 PM
these things always get off topic, you should have expected this

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 04:24 PM
Actually yes, it's very easy to argue against that, because it's completely unfair, all issues of wrecking suspension of disbelief aside. I don't care how magical somebody's sword is; the Ruinous Powers of Chaos would completely destroy any magical-medieval society, this one included. Either you destroy the Town, which sucks, or you have to come up with some contrived deus ex machina to save it, which is bad storytelling.

Speaking of bad storytelling, has anyone else noticed that everyone with the sole exception of J. Muller who has introduced a future-tech faction to Town has been completely unoriginal about it? Except for the Fourth Empire, all the sci-fi factions that have entered Town recently have been blatantly stolen from big-name sci-fi franchises. That actually bothers me more than the tech level deal; you really should make up your own stuff to play in here, rather than mooching off of other people. It speaks to me of a mindset dictating that it would be OH SO COOL to use an established uber-race to destroy everything rather than one with an interest in, I don't know, creative roleplaying and storytelling. Which is the entire point of freeform in the first place.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-08-29, 04:25 PM
There's literally years of precedent showing that medieval-level tech is the norm of the setting. As for "the last six months," I might add that while I've been here, you have not, seeing how your join date was this June, so I'm wondering just where you thought you were going to go with that.I miss the part where the longer you've played in Town the more entitled you are to making up the rules. Are you on the council? No. So quite frankly your opinions are irrelevant and moot. We play as we like.

metakirb
2007-08-29, 04:26 PM
again i referance the corolox, my custom race of doom

Emperor Ing
2007-08-29, 04:27 PM
Just wait for the Master Cheif-esque characters. Then lets see how pissed you are. :smallyuk:

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:29 PM
Oooo! thats a good Idea...I call dibs on making a Master Cheif!!

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 04:29 PM
make A Discussion Thread This Is For Invasion Stuff!
http://www.libriumarcana.com/Uploads/Rogue/Clips/allcaps.wav

again i referance the corolox, my custom race of doom
And have you tried to destroy the world with them? If so, I completely missed the plot. I reiterate, first it was the Imperial Guard, then the Rebellion, then the Galactic Empire, the Zerg were in there somewhere, and now the Forces of Chaos. It's getting ridiculous. :smallannoyed:

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:30 PM
Don't forget the Necron's, Dalas turned into a Necron Lord

metakirb
Indeed you did miss the first half of the plot, though generally just me and BB were involved, but for the second half i plan to get more people involverd

Emperor Ing
Look back 300 years in real life. Now look at now. Yeah. Thats whats happening.
Besides, what part of "This place doesnt exist in any one dimension" dont you get?

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 04:32 PM
What part of "I don't feel like getting slaughtered because some unimaginative rookie decided to bring in a force greater than anything else in Town just because he could" don't you get? And no, normal progression of scientific knowledge is not what's happening; what's happening is a bunch of stolen sci-fi randomly crashing the party.

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:33 PM
Hey Meta KIrb can i get in on the Coronox plot?

metakirb
2007-08-29, 04:34 PM
anyone can, just be there travelling to where the map leads when i set off the expedition ^^

Admiral_Kelly
2007-08-29, 04:34 PM
I'll agree that EotW plots are getting out of hand, but not that Sci-Fi should be excluded from the Town. The best way to deal with EotW plots is simple: Stay out of them. They will never succeed in ending the world anyway, so keep your charachter at Trog's or on an irrelevant quest someplace else and when the heat dies down things will even out.

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 04:38 PM
Oh, anyone fighting will get to loot bodies for Chaos guns and axes

Emperor Ing
2007-08-29, 04:41 PM
Ive always wanted an axe the size of north america! :smallbiggrin:

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 04:47 PM
Or they'll have the privilege of getting killed. Every single major faction in WH40K has the capability of wiping out all life on a planet, usually through multiple possible means. Even if Chaos somehow is driven back from the surface, they'd execute an Exterminatus-equivalent rather than just leave.

Emperor Ing
2007-08-29, 04:48 PM
Then use magic to stop it! We got some super-epic-leveled mages in the town ya know.

LordVader
2007-08-29, 04:50 PM
Renegade Paladin, if you noticed, the Imperial Guard protects Town from all these other armies. They do not invade, they do not pretend to have any form of control over Town. They fought the FE, and then freed the Police Station. They participated in the storming of it to rid it from the OoA. They fought the Slaun. They'll take the brunt of the Chaos invasion. And they will stop Exterminatus by, y'know, shooting down the torpedoes?

And gee, Renegade Paladin, I'm so sorry I would actually enjoy playing a 40k character instead of making up my own, unique Sci-Fi one. So sorry.:smallannoyed:

Also, these sci-fi armies are nothing compared to some PCs in town. Go yell at Draken or E.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-08-29, 04:51 PM
*sigh* Look, Renegade, I'm with you. In my opinion, having another invasion plot is redundant. But at the same time we don't have to be affected by it and this is free form. So I would suggest instead of complaining about it, simply don't pay attention to the Chaos Marine invasion. I've already done that with a few invasion plots myself and no harm done to continuity or whatnot.

Lord Magtok
2007-08-29, 05:07 PM
I agree with Renegada Paladin.

If I knew the AMEN attack was going to lead to a huge swarm of overpowered wannabe conquerors, I never would've invaded. Please, there are ways to have fun in the Town without invading it. Try making a regular character or something, with a personality. Make a new temple or something, with Inari's gone, the Town could use another. Delve into one of your old characters' backstory. Fight alongside a friend as they do one of the above. Just please stop invading.

And that one little thing I'm doing with Blackout in space? Just tying up a few loose ends. Those bots should be toast before they can even close close to the surface. So don't call me a hypocrite.

Draken
2007-08-29, 05:33 PM
Umm...

There was a time the OOC Town hall was used to ask the council for autohorization regarding plots. And you know what. That time is coming back. As a member of the council i will ask people to stop making this kind of thread. It always leaves to flaming. But first, i will leave my opinions:

1- famous sci-fi scenario characters: nothing against then, at least not if they are made by the player (the characters), and not copyed form the manual of the game.

2- As I said, people used to ask for autohorization of the ocuncil regarding EotW plots, and for me. There has been plenty of then, so i will vote NO for this one. I am sick of EotW plots to.

3- All of you, even if he is not in the council, Renegade Paladin has been here for longer than me, Artemis and Bookboy (don't know about Vader and blackout) he isn't in the ocuncil, but he deserves some respect as someone who has been here for longer. Will you stop respecting wxdruid when her term is over? Do you disrespect LLama even considering he isn't on the council? No. Same applyes to RP (lol).

4- It's not really your fault Magtok, the first invasion was perpretated by J_Muller, that was when the problem started. Sure, the FE as an organization was more interesting than the IG (the BR not so much because blackout worked them out himself, mostly), but that was when the technological armamentistic run started.

Anything that I left open?

Vhaidara
2007-08-29, 07:01 PM
RP, people are allowed to play what they want. There's a person with a character made of K'Nex, as in the toy. For Draken's points:

1: TOTAL AGREEMENT!

2: See above. Take a break for at least a few months, we've got like thirty on hold. I actually invented a spell called Delay EotW plot because we have so Frakin' Many.

3: We don't really respect Llama, he's just to goofy for it. We respect him purely as comic relief. And I agree. Also, LV and blackout have been on the boards longer, but joined the Town later.

4: I agree. Also, Magtok, I remember your promise not to be so smart next time.

Draken
2007-08-29, 07:07 PM
The player of the LLama, is actually a very ponderate guy. Yes, he goes into sillyness, he, vespe, and many others, but they are serious people when it comes to arguing.

And BB, you make spells with obvious names for everything.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-08-29, 07:21 PM
4: I agree. Also, Magtok, I remember your promise not to be so smart next time.Oh come on! I hate jobbing; let him pull as many tricks up his sleeve as he wants.

Shabal
2007-08-29, 07:42 PM
I agree with Renegade Paladin. People are allowed to play what they want, yes. Some people play those kinds of characters, even if they're silly, very well; Llama, for example. Just because people can play what they want, should they? Not necessarily.
No offense to the respective players of the SW characters, but whenever I see someone talking about 'lightsabers' 'death sticks' 'carbonite' 'Darth Vader' 'the force' or 'Star Destroyers', I feel physically sick. The 40K technology is actually used responsibly most of the time; but it's still overpowered, especially when you have ten arbites in a ring around you blasting you with high-powered weapons on 'Heavy Stun'. People literally have to invent marvelous excuses, and make their characters incredibly overpowered, to overcome the kind of stuff that regularly goes on.
Then there's the actual roleplaying of it. AK is correct in saying there's no established setting, and that gives people the right to play whatever they want, make whatever they want, think up whatever armies they want. Again, does that mean they should? Not necessarily; and I think that since the Town is a medieval setting at its root, the characters that hail from Tatooine need to show some consideration for the people who don't have laser blasters or thermal detonators.
What I would like to see is everyone dropping the power of their characters a tad; low-powered characters (or at the very least, characters that can't rend a planet apart with the sheer destructive force of their sorcery) are more fun, and it would encourage;
1. More creative roleplaying.
2. More creative battles and fights; at the very least, it would cut down on the number of arguments that revolve around spell descriptions, "you can't do that" and, "you're making your character unbeatable because you dodged the dragon I summoned that's trying to bite off your head".
3. People actually taking a hit once in a while.
4. Character death.
5. Less Deus ex Machina solutions to problems, or at least more creative ones.
If I directly targeted anyone with those ideas, or if it seemed that I did, I apologize; it's just my opinion, and I wanted to express it.

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-29, 07:59 PM
No offense to the respective players of the SW characters, but whenever I see someone talking about 'lightsabers' 'death sticks' 'carbonite' 'Darth Vader' 'the force' or 'Star Destroyers', I feel physically sick.
You should. A Star Destroyer has enough power to melt the surface of an Earth-like planet down to a depth of ten meters in a little over an hour. No one should be running around with that kind of power in a game like this; the ability to randomly kill off everyone should not be permitted.

fatninjacow
2007-08-29, 08:07 PM
The town can't be destroyed it has a sorta', field around it preventing the whole town to be destroyed

LordVader
2007-08-29, 09:02 PM
Just as a note to the ability of vaporizing Town, etc, there are people in Town who have that power. Draken comes to mind immediately.:smalltongue: As well as Ba'al, but he's gone. It doesn't matter whether you have the power to do it, although admittedly it's better if you don't, it matters whether or not you choose to do it. Draken could easily blow up Town if he wished, but he hasn't. E probably could as well, but he hasn't either. It's just a matter of using it responsibly.
For example, two of my characters, Jarus and Erica, might as well be medieval. Jarus is a spellcaster, plain and simple. And all Erica uses is a dart gun and sword which I treat as a magical sword, not as a "cuts through everything" one, even though it can.

Shabal
2007-08-29, 09:17 PM
I see what you're getting at, and I agree, but even if the power to blow up Town is used responsibly, it's still heavily overpowered, since that kind of power could easily flatten armies where they stand, pull people's intestines out and strangle them with them, and at the least ruin most plots by solving the problem with a Deus ex Machina spell.
Also, if I may add, Jarus was the one who could snap a Titan in half with a flick of his wrist, pull people on rampages to the bottoms of staircases halfway across the city...:smalltongue:
All I'm saying is, responsibility is a good thing, lots of power with responsibility can be a good thing, but too much power, even coupled with responsibility, is a bad thing. It's why I play ridiculously underpowered characters.

Draken
2007-08-29, 09:31 PM
Shabal, LV told me you tried to Unname a machine, and for that, I order you to go get your Tome of Magic and devour that last chapter!

Shabal
2007-08-29, 09:39 PM
...chapter devoured...
What, the 'Creature with Int Score of 3 or Higher'? :smallconfused:
I already read that, just after LV ruled that the spell failed; so in my defense, it didn't work anyway...
Should've noticed it sooner, though.

PirateMonk
2007-08-29, 10:02 PM
As well as Ba'al, but he's gone.

Right after he agreed to help AMEN, too.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-08-29, 11:47 PM
The player of the LLama, is actually a very ponderate guy. Yes, he goes into sillyness, he, vespe, and many others, but they are serious people when it comes to arguing.

Thanks, Draken. I appreciate it.

I can't say much that hasn't been said before other than the scifi fascination is a phase. Its like Mirror Town was back in last august. It too will fade in time, only to be revisited on rare and random occassions. Analysts predict that the next phase will begin around November 4th and will be a wild west type. Although by Nov 9th, there will be more gadgeting things ala Wild Wild West.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-08-30, 12:08 AM
I don't know, the town has a basis in Medieval Society, but a lot of people are embracing the fact that it's a crossroads to many other, strange universes, and through teleportation gone awry, destroyed homes, and yada yada yada, they have ended up here, which give the Town a Final Fantasy VII feel, where you can go from a slum of a city, to a calm village in the country side, traveling by mount, bike, or airship, coming across gunfighters, swordfighters, and even fighters that use little toys.

As far as armies and invading people, massive amounts of NPCs like that gets really boring, and end up like the Villians in Steven Seagal, not affecting the heroes at all and bring them to overpoweredvil.

So, you want a biggie threat, have an elite group of 8 people that are really powerful that want to take over the Town, and have them be challenged by One-on-One fights to the Death. Anime style.

Destro_Yersul
2007-08-30, 12:44 AM
Oooo! thats a good Idea...I call dibs on making a Master Cheif!!

Too late. I made a SPARTAN character months ago.

Now, I'm the first one to say 40k is awesome. Because it is. I really like the universe, the setting, all of that. However, say we remove all references to futuristic weapons. Akil, in D&D, is a psionic warrior with magic armour, a magic sword, and a brilliant energy, auto reloading hand crossbow. That's all. And I intend to play him as such.

Runihura is a fighter, and has has magic armour, winged boots, a magic mace and a regular hand crossbow. Sure, they're strong. But they aren't invincible. Plus, there's two of them. Behind them, they have 100 marines. No more, no less. I have a checklist here. If a marine dies, he gets crossed off the checklist and doesn't come back. If their strike cruiser explodes, it doesn't come back.

blackout
2007-08-30, 12:45 AM
I think we should wait for the Chaos Marine attack. Let all of the other plots get finished up.

Bayar
2007-08-30, 05:00 AM
yeah! let them come ! we are prepared...or something like that. I have to enchant my dagger with some spell so it can hold some magic Missiles for a later use (something like a revolver that uses magic ...from a dagger)

Vhaidara
2007-08-30, 05:47 AM
Oh come on! I hate jobbing; let him pull as many tricks up his sleeve as he wants.

Kelly, he actually made a post promising not o be so brilliant next time. All the AMEN war did was get a ton of people pissed at blackout. And Llama, Draken, that was the IC Llama I was talking about. I know better than to disrespect OOC Llama, for fear of being cut off from an afterlife with the llamas.:smalltongue:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-08-30, 06:03 AM
I must say, end-of-the-world plots CAN, I repeat, CAN work well, if you do them right. Invasion plots, too, but once again, they have to be done right.

The cookie-cutter "People invade, go kill them" plot is horribly overdone, and unless you have a twist or you can make it very original, I'd say scrap it and aim a little lower.

My favourite EotW plot of all time was Limos, plain and simple. Rebonack had set that one up magnificently; there wasn't a horde of limitless soldiers, there was one guy. Just one, although he was capable of collapsing the multiverse in on itself. The chain of events he used were likewise good, too: he changed one of his main characters in a way I never would have predicted, killed what was likely the Town's best known character, and proceeded to try to kill the multiverse. There were some things I would have changed, personally...if a plot needs Gent to make it actually do-able, I think it's a bit much, but other than that it was incredible.

The Town will always be on the verge of blowing up. That's what makes it the Town. But countless invasions from sci-fi forces does not a good plot make.

Admiral_Kelly
2007-08-30, 07:05 AM
Kelly, he actually made a post promising not o be so brilliant next time. All the AMEN war did was get a ton of people pissed at blackout.I disagree. It also screwed up relations with the RN which inevitably led to the raid of the Thieves' Guild, there was one rather kickass battle between the RN and AMEN (the only thing I didn't like about that one was the lack of posting on my enemies side, forcing me to withdraw), got Rex involved into the Town which led to reforming the police and the abolishment of the OoA among other things, and I saw alot of charachter development. I wouldn't call that nothing.

In fact, the AMEN invasion may have been one of the best EotW plots ever.

blackout
2007-08-30, 11:18 AM
Kelly, he actually made a post promising not o be so brilliant next time. All the AMEN war did was get a ton of people pissed at blackout.

He was a worthy opponent, and pulled it off well, and I respect him for that, but the sort of aftershock from that DID kind of screw me up. :smallannoyed:

LordVader
2007-08-30, 03:57 PM
I see what you're getting at, and I agree, but even if the power to blow up Town is used responsibly, it's still heavily overpowered, since that kind of power could easily flatten armies where they stand, pull people's intestines out and strangle them with them, and at the least ruin most plots by solving the problem with a Deus ex Machina spell.
Also, if I may add, Jarus was the one who could snap a Titan in half with a flick of his wrist, pull people on rampages to the bottoms of staircases halfway across the city...:smalltongue:
All I'm saying is, responsibility is a good thing, lots of power with responsibility can be a good thing, but too much power, even coupled with responsibility, is a bad thing. It's why I play ridiculously underpowered characters.

When Jarus threw Tiben to the bottom of the staircase, he was in the Tavern.:smalltongue: Also, the main reason for the Arbites in Trogs is that the fights there were really getting out of hand. Trog's should be a place where you can go to relax and talk with other PCs, and a place where you don't have to worry about a fight breaking out every 20 minutes. Also, my next character, also a 40k one, will simply be someone with a magic sword, slight magic powers, an armor suit, and the ability to shoot fire.

Also, I think it's for the better that Ba'al's gone. Even Draken is mortal (I think) someone like that is just incredibly frustrating and ends up pissing everyone off, because the only way you can beat them is deus ex on the part of their player.

Vhaidara
2007-08-30, 04:00 PM
*Sees LV's part about peace and talking in Trog's, and enters laughing coma*

LordVader
2007-08-30, 04:08 PM
Well, you have to admit, it is a bit more peaceful then it was before.:smalltongue:
Also, Shabal, never in the entire history of their presence in Trog's have the arbites formed a circle around someone blasting with heavy stun. They usually use normal stun anyways, I only remember them using heavy on Tiben several days ago.

fatninjacow
2007-08-30, 04:09 PM
didn't they use heavy stun on Dalas once

Renegade Paladin
2007-08-31, 07:05 PM
Anyway, I recommend we all simply boycott this plot. He can't play it if nobody shows up, and maybe people will start to get the idea that invasions every other week got old two months ago.

blackout
2007-08-31, 07:07 PM
Let's have it be the last invasion plot for awhile. No boycotting this one, but anymore after this should be denied for awhile.

Vhaidara
2007-08-31, 07:08 PM
I think it was more than every other week.

Draken
2007-08-31, 07:12 PM
We already have three end of the world plots running. If another one happens, be sure I will ignore it completely. And I will sugest that most of the other ignore it to.

BUT it is a space marine thingy, if you keep it not as a EOTW and more like a war between then and the people in space with no interest on the planet, just for old hatreds, fine by me.

blackout
2007-08-31, 07:15 PM
Well, they'll land. Me and FNC have already established that. But, it should be fairly short.

Draken
2007-08-31, 07:17 PM
Then make a thread just for it and don't spread to other threads. That is my position, and be sure I will not get involved, actually, I will make my characters oblivious to it.

blackout
2007-08-31, 07:18 PM
Well, then the invading forces won't come near your characters. It's not that hard.