PDA

View Full Version : Yes another Hexblade question

Theodoxus
2018-03-08, 06:27 PM
I've been searching for this answer, and everything I've stumbled upon talks about how amazing it is that you can have two weapons "attuned" - one as a Hex Warrior and the other as a Pact weapon. But I've yet to see anything addressing my conundrum:

If my Hexblade Pact of the Blade creates a Glaive and has the Improved Pact Weapon Invocation and gets into a fight, and a few rounds in, decides to recreate it as a longsword to go Sword & Board for more AC – does it get all the benefits of Hex Warrior, or does he need to take a long rest to “attune” it?

Pertinent parts:
Hex Warrior:Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property. When you attack with that weapon, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Strength or Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls. This benefit lasts until you finish a long rest. If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type..

Pact of the Blade: You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming Resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Improved Pact Weapon: You can use any weapon you summon with your Pact of the Blade feature as a spellcasting focus for your warlock spells. In addition, the weapon gains a +l bonus to its attack and damage rolls, unless it is a magic weapon that already has a bonus to those rolls.

Supposition: It appears that the Hex Warrior's weapon (and thus Cha to Att/Dam) only works on one weapon per long rest - that even if it becomes your Pact weapon, it only retains the HW bonus while in the form it was in when touched. So the answer to my initial question appears to be no.

If you feel this is incorrect, please support your answers as to why.

Nettlekid
2018-03-08, 06:43 PM
Once per long rest you can attune to any one-handed weapon, giving it the benefits of Hex Warrior.

Any weapon summoned via Pact of the Blade also gains the benefits of Hex Warrior.

So you can have two weapons benefiting from Hex Warrior at a time - the one you attune, and any that you summon via Pact of the Blade. You don't need to attune to the Pact of the Blade weapon in order to give it those benefits, it'll appear with them, regardless of what shape it appears in.

Malifice
2018-03-08, 07:55 PM
You are not attuning to a glaive.

Youre bonding with your pact weapon, which in this case is a glaive.

If you morph your pact weapon into a sword, you remain bonded to it.

Rogozhin
2018-03-09, 11:23 AM
Am I crazy or is a glaive a two-handed weapon? And doesn't Hexblade explicitly exclude two-handed weapons?

Ask for a for a friend.

Matrix_Walker
2018-03-09, 11:41 AM
Am I crazy or is a glaive a two-handed weapon? And doesn't Hexblade explicitly exclude two-handed weapons?

Ask for a for a friend.

The ability to sync up with a non-pact weapon is limited to one-handed weapons, but if they choose pact of the blade at level 3, any pact weapon they conjure will work with Hex Warrior.

Theodoxus
2018-03-09, 11:42 AM
"If you later gain the Pact of the Blade feature, this benefit extends to every pact weapon you conjure with that feature, no matter the weapon's type."

The bolded overrides the two-handed limitation.