PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Warcraft (Spellcraft counterpart, not the game :) )

rferries
2018-03-08, 06:47 PM
This skill allows you to plan for success, both on the battlefield and in large-scale military campaigns. It's intended as a class skill for any full-BAB class (fighters, paladins, etc.) as well as bards.

Warcraft (Int; Trained Only)
Check
With a successful Warcraft check you can direct your allies more effectively in combat, or even plan large-scale military assaults.

Tactics
When an encounter begins you may make a DC 15 Warcraft check as a free action. On a successful check, you and all allies that can hear, see, or otherwise perceive your commands or gestures each gain a +1 insight bonus on attack rolls, Armour Class, initiative checks, and saving throws. The value of this bonus increases by +1 for every 5 points by which you beat the Warcraft check.

Strategy
This skill may be used to influence the course of larger battles, and even wars. Consult your DM for this application.

Action
Varies. Using Warcraft to improve your tactics is a free action. Using Warcraft to plan strategy often requires hours, days, or even longer.

Try Again
No. Your tactics and strategies are either useful or not.

Special
If you have the Leadership feat, you gain a +2 bonus on Warcraft checks.

If you are a fighter or paladin, you gain a +2 bonus on Warcraft checks.

Synergy
If you have 5 or more ranks in a Knowledge skill, the insight bonus increases by +2 in combat against creatures that can be identified by that skill (e.g. Knowledge (religion) for undead).

If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), you gain a +2 bonus on Warcraft checks.

If you have 5 or more ranks in Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate, you gain a +2 bonus on Warcraft checks as you cajole, inspire, or marshal your allies.

If you have 5 or more ranks in Sense Motive, you gain a +2 bonus on Warcraft checks against non-mindless enemies.

At the DM's option, certain other skills might be useful when planning strategy (e.g. Knowledge (architecture and engineering) might provide a bonus in campaigns involving siege engines, etc.). Alternatively, the skills might apply in different ways (e.g. Knowledge (nature) might provide a bonus on all combat in aboveground natural environments).

Xzoltar
2018-03-09, 08:08 PM
I really like the idea. I would still put a limit, something like your bonus can'T go above 1 + 1 per 5 HD or something like that because you can provide a big bonus that could make the encounter easier than it should. On the other side, I like the idea that a mid to high level PC can boost Commoner by a lot using this

As its a insight bonus it dosent stack with a few of the normal buff. It will be very powerful in the hand of a Bard, because it stack with the Morale and Competence bonus they normally provide.

nonsi
2018-03-10, 01:49 AM
This is simply beautiful :smallsmile:
At last something that would make battlefield commanders and generals viable in D&D :smallcool:

Just one thing that bothers me: how can someone make an assessment of the enemy before having the opportunity of watching that enemy in action?
Seems to me like Tactics should be applicable only after first combat round has ended (during which time the "Warcrafter" has time to plan and give orders, and the informed allies have time to process and execute).

rferries
2018-03-10, 05:25 PM
I really like the idea. I would still put a limit, something like your bonus can'T go above 1 + 1 per 5 HD or something like that because you can provide a big bonus that could make the encounter easier than it should. On the other side, I like the idea that a mid to high level PC can boost Commoner by a lot using this

As its a insight bonus it dosent stack with a few of the normal buff. It will be very powerful in the hand of a Bard, because it stack with the Morale and Competence bonus they normally provide.

Thanks! There's already a limit in that the bonus only increases by +1 per 5 that you beat the DC. At low levels it's comparable to a bard song; at high levels you can get big bonuses (e.g. with a "rod of warcraft +30") but it'll be dwarfed by the spells available by then.

Bonus type was tricky; I considered making it a circumstance or untyped bonus but insight was the most flavourful IMHO.

This is simply beautiful :smallsmile:
At last something that would make battlefield commanders and generals viable in D&D :smallcool:

Just one thing that bothers me: how can someone make an assessment of the enemy before having the opportunity of watching that enemy in action?
Seems to me like Tactics should be applicable only after first combat round has ended (during which time the "Warcrafter" has time to plan and give orders, and the informed allies have time to process and execute).

Much obliged! I rationalised it as being able to give initial commands that apply regardless of the enemy ("Positions, everyone!", "Draw your weapons", etc.) at the start, followed by specific commands as the combat progresses ("Watch that spellcaster! etc.).

nonsi
2018-03-11, 02:48 AM
Much obliged! I rationalised it as being able to give initial commands that apply regardless of the enemy ("Positions, everyone!", "Draw your weapons", etc.) at the start,

1. I still don't get vs. what you're rolling a check at this point... making a lucky guess?
2. I recognize nothing in the bolded instructions beyond stating the obvious.

followed by specific commands as the combat progresses ("Watch that spellcaster! etc.).

This is where we both see eye to eye.
It's round #1 that I'm unable to rationalize.

rferries
2018-03-11, 12:05 PM
1. I still don't get vs. what you're rolling a check at this point... making a lucky guess?
2. I recognize nothing in the bolded instructions beyond stating the obvious.

Yeah, basically. Plus you can at least see at the start of combat where the enemy forces are positioned, and therefore where people should be aiming attacks, where low-hp characters should be taking cover, etc. It's one of those handwaved abstractions, like hp or skill points.

nonsi
2018-03-13, 02:20 AM
Yeah, basically. Plus you can at least see at the start of combat where the enemy forces are positioned, and therefore where people should be aiming attacks, where low-hp characters should be taking cover, etc. It's one of those handwaved abstractions, like hp or skill points.

I have no problem with abstraction, but even the best tactician needs to study the situation and actually give it some thought in order to figure out what to do best.
We're role-playing characters, not robots with hundreds of sensors and super computers for brains.
Characters with the ability to ignore time constraints stretch suspension of disbelief too far.

rferries
2018-03-13, 11:15 AM
I have no problem with abstraction, but even the best tactician needs to study the situation and actually give it some thought in order to figure out what to do best.
We're role-playing characters, not robots with hundreds of sensors and super computers for brains.
Characters with the ability to ignore time constraints stretch suspension of disbelief too far.

Fair point. However, as with initiative and Reflex saves this skill is a measure of your response time - combat starts and you assign orders based on your immediate knowledge of your allies' abilities and enemy formations (assuming you're not being attacked by a bunch of foes with greater invisibility haha). As subsequent rounds proceed you keep doing the same thing based on how events have changed (are some of the enemies down so you can focus-fire on others, do some of your allies need protecting/healing, etc.).

I could add a clause like "if you are ambushed, you take a -5/-10 penalty on this check until after the first round of combat, to reflect being caught unawares" but that seems like an annoying mechanic.