PDA

View Full Version : What kind of 3PP would you read/buy?

Eric Diaz
2018-03-08, 10:01 PM
So, I was thinking about that lately. I like to write 5e stuff, I made and OSR/5e clone, and I'm planning on making some (very small) 5e supplements, but I'm not sure anybody is interested in that.

The stuff I'm writing right now deals with:

* Weapons (shields, finesse spears, new feats, maneuvers, etc).
* Quick random monster generation.

TBH nothing ground-breaking, and things you can probably find on DMs Guild, but I might comission some artwork and make some decent looking books because the experience is fun.

Now, I've heard people say nobody is interested in rules, just settings.

Is that true? I recently acquired, Taldorei and I'm already a bit bored, although the same can be said of some WotC stuff. I have a couple of settings of my own, but they are:

* More vanilla than Taldorei (and TBH probably much worse, at least at this point).
Or
* Very sparse.
Or
* Heavily inspired by Dark Souls / Castlevania / Berserk / The Witcher, which probably has been done already (Dragon Age and SotDL, although I haven't really played these games).

So, in short, I don't think there would be much interest for my setting stuff, although I do post the cool bits in my blog.

I see there are lots of 3PP monster books - I like those - I bought Tome of Beasts and its very nice. Not that I would do one of those myself, cannot come up with 500 cool monsters.

Also lots of new classes, subclasses, etc. I don't need new classes* - but people seem to like those.

And adventures, of course - can never have enough of that!

* other than, maybe, a decent warlord (which TBH I don't feel able to create on my own due to a lack of familiarity with 4e).

Also, obliviously... strongholds.

What about you? What types of 3PP would you like to see?

Kane0
2018-03-08, 10:11 PM
If someone made a book with a ‘larger scale’ theme featuring say mass combat, minions, strongholds, multi-character downtime, character retirement, expanded hireling management and the warlord plus a sprinkling of subclasses, feats and gear i’d be pretty stoked.

Eric Diaz
2018-03-09, 11:40 AM
If someone made a book with a ‘larger scale’ theme featuring say mass combat, minions, strongholds, multi-character downtime, character retirement, expanded hireling management and the warlord plus a sprinkling of subclasses, feats and gear i’d be pretty stoked.

I'd like to see that too!

I think that is (partly) what Colville's KS is about.

MrStabby
2018-03-09, 01:49 PM
I think monsters, traps and other DM material is the main piece. Practically, the DM is the only player who doesn't need someone else's permission to bring homebrew to the table. They are the person to whomever any content must appeal.

Class options are the worst end of the scale. The DM must be sure they won't disrupt the game and if they were able to be sure of that then they could homebrew something themselves. If DM content is too powerful/weak then the DM can address it and just change what needs to be changed. That is much harder for content aimed at PCs.

Sigreid
2018-03-09, 02:02 PM
I would consider a collection of ready made maps and encounters. I would not be interested in homebrew rules or classes.

Complication would be that I only play via Fantasy Grounds right now so if it's not a compatible format I won't bother.

Eric Diaz
2018-03-09, 02:56 PM
Class options are the worst end of the scale. The DM must be sure they won't disrupt the game and if they were able to be sure of that then they could homebrew something themselves. If DM content is too powerful/weak then the DM can address it and just change what needs to be changed. That is much harder for content aimed at PCs.

I feel the same, although PC options seem to be really popular (judging form Volos, Xanathar's, some stuff from DMs guild, etc).

stack
2018-03-09, 03:00 PM
Players options have a larger potential audience, since a given table has more players than DMs, but the acceptance question noted above is a barrier.