PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Dwarf Cleric and deciding between Resilient: Con and Dwarven Fortitude...

prototype00
2018-03-08, 11:03 PM
I’m playing a tanky dwarf Forge Cleric and was initially going to go Resilient:Con... but it turns out that Dwarven Fortitude gives the same stat and it lets you heal when you dodge.

Now normally this isn’t great, but for Clerics, after you get Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon up, you don’t really give much up save your not-so-great Melee Attack for DPS...

How would you roll if you were playing a Cleric?

djreynolds
2018-03-08, 11:22 PM
I have found that resilient con is better once you get to +3 proficiency or above

And war caster in terms of concentration, advantage averages to +5

Although you do not need to worry about what's in your hands as your shield can be your divine focus, being able to swat someone with a reaction attack is very good.

Imagine you've selected say an arcane cleric and grab booming blade, you have spirit guardians going.

Now an enemy in melee tries to leave that spirit guardians, well you get a reaction attack with a spell.

Hit him with booming blade, and now that enemy can stay and take radiant damage from spirit guardians or leave and take thunder damage from your booming blade.

Now how is that one melee attack looking.

And any cleric can grab magic initiate and snag booming blade, no ability prerequisite. Or if you have a 13 in charisma or intelligence... a level of wizard, warlock, or sorcerer maybe more economical than waiting 4 levels

Now I love resilient con, as it also effects your con saves, such as being paralyzed by the ghouls your are trying to turn and helps out with concentration checks as well.

But you have 5 feats, take war caster now and later when that proficiency bonus is +3 or higher, now grab resilient con.

You will need a feat for magic initiate (unless multiclassing is a possibility), war caster, 2 for wisdom, and one for resilient con or strength/dex

prototype00
2018-03-08, 11:27 PM
Not being a vHuman it’s going to be a very tight squeeze to get in Magic Initiate, and it delays all my other feats. What’s say we consider things in the light of not taking that.

Also AL so PHB + 1 nixes all the Blade cantrip.

prototype00
2018-03-09, 12:21 AM
Hmm, I might take Dwarven Fortitude (more of an impact now), and then switch it out for Res:Con when I level to tier 2.

djreynolds
2018-03-10, 04:59 PM
Then take resilient con, you need never take dodge action.

Sacred flame works even in melee as it is save or suck.

Dodging as an action when you have spells to cast isn't the best option.

I really enjoyed playing a cleric.

Biggstick
2018-03-11, 03:58 AM
Resilient Constitution is more valuable then Dwarven Fortitude in that it not only improves your HP, it improves your Constitution saving throws (which also improves your concentration checks!).

Dwarven Fortitude is solid for a late game feat as a Cleric, as in a level 16 or 19 feat.

prototype00
2018-03-11, 09:35 PM
Hmm, true enough. I’ll stick to the original plan if Res:Con -> Warcaster then.