PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I need help with my ranger! (PVP related)

Rexi
2018-03-09, 04:26 AM
Alright, I'm going to be straight with what I need here. I'm having some problems in a campaign and I may be getting in a fight with one of the player characters (a cleric) because their character is extremely racist towards mine. (I'm playing a human, they're playing a homebrew that's balanced but min-maxed to ****) I'm playing a ranger and we're about to get to level three, so please can someone help me out here?

Stats:
STR: 13
DEX: 16
CON:13
INT: 13
WIS: 17
CHA: 13
AC: 16
HP: 18
Proficiencies
Animal Handling
Investigation
Medicine
Perception
Religion
Survival
(These are poor stats but I was picked to help the party)

Spells:
Speak with animals (Going to change this ASAP)
Rain of thorns

Esentially I need help on how I can somehow wreck this guy's face if it ever comes down to it. I'm going to try and avoid PVP best I can and maybe even talk to the guy, but it's my first session and I'd rather not step on anyone's toes.

NOTE: YES! I will be talking to the GM and player BEFOREHAND. See if there's no way me and the GM can work togeater to create some kind of story resolution before I ask another player to change the way their character works.

UPDATE: We've talked it out! He was fairly understanding and he made expressly clear that it was all in character, and if he came off as harsh he appologized.

Jerrykhor
2018-03-09, 04:44 AM
What is the subclass of you and the cleric?

Chugger
2018-03-09, 05:02 AM
Vengeance is a dish best served cold, icy cold.

Get him in an indirect but decisive way when he's not expecting it.

Unoriginal
2018-03-09, 05:16 AM
5e's PvP boils down to "between PCs of equal level, the first one who can land a hit twice wins".

Rexi
2018-03-09, 05:45 AM
What is the subclass of you and the cleric?

Neither of us have subclassed yet, we're getting onto level 3 soon I think

Rexi
2018-03-09, 05:46 AM
I need things that can potentially screw over a Cleric, He's got guiding bolt which hits like a dang truck.

Unoriginal
2018-03-09, 06:12 AM
I need things that can potentially screw over a Cleric, He's got guiding bolt which hits like a dang truck.

Whack him while he sleeps.

Rexi
2018-03-09, 07:04 AM
Whack him while he sleeps.
That'd go against the character.

Unoriginal
2018-03-09, 07:13 AM

You haven't described who the character is.

If you want to deal this honorably and all, challenge the Cleric to a fisticuff match. You, him, no weapon and no magic.

Lombra
2018-03-09, 07:16 AM
On a side note I think that you all should hold your horses at the table and have a proper session zero.

Unoriginal
2018-03-09, 07:22 AM
On a side note I think that you all should hold your horses at the table and have a proper session zero.

At least you should have a proper discussion with everyone over this situation.

Chugger
2018-03-09, 07:23 AM

You've picked a trait that will hurt you a lot in this area, then. I'd give up on it and just eat the insults and play the game.

Throne12
2018-03-09, 07:54 AM
Alright, I'm going to be straight with what I need here. I'm having some problems in a campaign and I may be getting in a fight with one of the player characters (a cleric) because their character is extremely racist towards mine. (I'm playing a human, they're playing a homebrew that's balanced but min-maxed to ****) I'm playing a ranger and we're about to get to level three, so please can someone help me out here?

Stats:
STR: 13
DEX: 16
CON:13
INT: 13
WIS: 17
CHA: 13
AC: 16
HP: 18
Proficiencies
Animal Handling
Investigation
Medicine
Perception
Religion
Survival
(These are poor stats but I was picked to help the party)

Spells:
Speak with animals (Going to change this ASAP)
Rain of thorns

Esentially I need help on how I can somehow wreck this guy's face if it ever comes down to it. I'm going to try and avoid PVP best I can and maybe even talk to the guy, but it's my first session and I'd rather not step on anyone's toes.

If PvP not plot driven then it should never Occur. Next session tell the player and DM. Look I'm not ok with players playing racest person. I'm not having fun. If that don't change then leave the game cause it's not going to get any better. I've been there.

On another note. Those stats are not trash at all those are really great stats. But it it comes down to PvP. Two weapon fighting 2 shortswords and hunters mark. Will destroy him. Win intev get up on him and destroy him. You have a higher hit dice. What's his domain? Clerics picks that at lv 1. For your sud class go with gloom stalker at low level they are nasty in the first round of combat.

Rexi
2018-03-09, 08:16 AM
If PvP not plot driven then it should never Occur. Next session tell the player and DM. Look I'm not ok with players playing racest person. I'm not having fun. If that don't change then leave the game cause it's not going to get any better. I've been there.

On another note. Those stats are not trash at all those are really great stats. But it it comes down to PvP. Two weapon fighting 2 shortswords and hunters mark. Will destroy him. Win intev get up on him and destroy him. You have a higher hit dice. What's his domain? Clerics picks that at lv 1. For your sud class go with gloom stalker at low level they are nasty in the first round of combat.

This was the kind of advice I was looking for.

Side note on the racism part:
It's not about the individual in question's character insulting mine, it's more of the fact that seemingly any moment he can he either says that his character doesn't like mine, or in some cases attempts to make my character go ahead and test for traps. In character and out of character as well he's telling me that he's going to kill my character, so this is why I really wanted the PVP advice. In this situation I want to be non-confrontational. I WILL be talking to the DM though.

TBH, I think OOCLY this person has a problem with me playing a human altogeather.

Rexi
2018-03-09, 08:22 AM
I believe the opponent is a Tempest cleric. I'm unsure.

Crgaston
2018-03-09, 08:36 AM
He’s a Tempest domain cleric.

Nothing beats Gloom Stalker on a human Ranger for the Darkvision alone. Plus you will get the extra 10’ movement and extra Attack (with an extra d8 damage) on the first round of combat. And you’re invisible to others’ dark vision.

What fighting style did you select?

Rexi
2018-03-09, 08:45 AM
He’s a Tempest domain cleric.

Nothing beats Gloom Stalker on a human Ranger for the Darkvision alone. Plus you will get the extra 10’ movement and extra Attack (with an extra d8 damage) on the first round of combat. And you’re invisible to others’ dark vision.

What fighting style did you select?

Only the best fighting style. Archery.

saucerhead
2018-03-09, 09:06 AM
I believe the opponent is a Tempest cleric. I'm unsure.

Ruh-roh.

His AC is probably 18, unless he found something better than chainmail and shield, so with your dex, proficiency and archery style giving you +7 to hit, you will miss half the time with arrows. If you get into melee and manage to hit him he will use his reaction to use wrath of storms and possibly channel divinity for max damage. So 16 damage to you on your turn, then heal himself on his turn, only to do another 2d8 to you if you hit him again on your turn.
I suggest you stay out of hand to hand or bring a friend.

Unoriginal
2018-03-09, 09:17 AM
Tempest Clerics can damage you if you hit them in melee, right?

What is your character's background?

EvilAnagram
2018-03-09, 09:27 AM
Out of game: Talk to your DM. The behavior you've described is very unhealthy, and you don't seem happy with it. Worst case, leave the group if it's unhealthy for you.

In-game: If he's told you he's going to kill you, shoot him in the wilderness with Hail of Thorns. Unless his dexterity is amazing, there's a good chance he'll fail the save. Try to be sneaky about it and get advantage. At level1, that should incapacitate him. At level 2, you'll need another hit. Keep away from him and behinds total cover.

Tempest Clerics can damage you if you hit them in melee, right?

What is your character's background?
They seem to be a fairly low level. One or two Two or three, I'd guess.

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-09, 09:36 AM
If he starts pvp, run away. Should be easy as a Gloomstalker. Then come back later, when it's dark (fully healed) and start sniping from 60 feet away.

Use stealth and perhaps you can get surprise for a free round. You'll have advantage (from invisibility) so your +7 will likely hit. If you don't get surprise or it's the second turn, tell him his god is a weenie after you attack and then use your movement to move 30 feet away.

He will likely follow you and unless he dashes you will be invisible and he will have disadvantage to attack you and not be able to target you with any spell that targets "a creature you can see" which is a lot of them. He'll probably blast you with a maximized shatter which will hurt but is survivable.

If your DM is cooperative, secretly have Snares precast along the expected path of his pursuit. Even hunting traps may be useful if he has typical crummy cleric dexterity.

If things go really poorly run away again.

edit: looking at your hp and the damage of shatter, it's actually pretty much game over if you don't save.. So proceed with caution.

edit: pick up absorb elements. It will save your life.

Specter
2018-03-09, 09:48 AM
Ensnaring Strike.

Even if the Cleric is STR-focused, he will more likely than not fail his save. After he fails his save, you've won. He will need to waste his action to try to escape the vines, as they deal 1d6 damage per turn and keep him restrained (Clerics have no way of teleporting).

Enjoy.

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-09, 09:57 AM
I'm guessing the cleric has pretty good strength since he's wearing heavy armour and you seemed to think you had relatively poor stats (your stats are good) so while ensaring strike is normally great for you, it may not work so well in this instance.

Rexi
2018-03-09, 10:02 AM
To all of you guys mentioning the whole thing about the 2d8 storm attack, I don't think I have to worry about that since I'm a ranger I have better dex and movment. The 2d8 lightning damage is only applicable if I melee attack him, so I'm not worried about it. I'll work on improving my AC, and if the fight happens later, I'll make sure to spec into rogue/cleric to either do as much burst damage as they can, or at least be able to disengage so they don't get attack of opprotunity on me.

Unoriginal
2018-03-09, 10:09 AM
To all of you guys mentioning the whole thing about the 2d8 storm attack, I don't think I have to worry about that since I'm a ranger I have better dex and movment. The 2d8 lightning damage is only applicable if I melee attack him, so I'm not worried about it. I'll work on improving my AC, and if the fight happens later, I'll make sure to spec into rogue/cleric to either do as much burst damage as they can, or at least be able to disengage so they don't get attack of opprotunity on me.

I'd advise against building your character just to fight this guy.

Does this Cleric have Darkvision?

Rexi
2018-03-09, 10:15 AM
I'd advise against building your character just to fight this guy.

Does this Cleric have Darkvision?

I'm not sure, I believe so but even if he doesn't the extra movement speed and my darkvision I'd get would be a net positive. Also, I was kinda hoping to spec into this class anyway. I was debating against horizen or Gloom, Horizon MAY get teleportation at a later level, but based on how our team is balanced might not be a good idea. Either way it'd be a net bonus, we need s'more crowd controll and damage.

Sariel Vailo
2018-03-09, 10:25 AM
How well liked are they amidst the rest of the group. And what is your alignment.ive had to martyr a character in an al game so i could have evryone turn on the other pc.i was more or less playing a game if you kill me the paladin knows of your disdain.pretty much prepare for allies and ask for help

SirGraystone
2018-03-09, 10:39 AM
First you should talk to the player outside the game, he may simply be roleplaying and don't know how much it annoy you. If you really have to fight him, try to choose the time and place for it. A level 2 cleric have 3 level 1 spell slots, try to keep track of those he use, if he's out of them for the day, this get easier for you.
The safe place to shoot him is in the back, even safer if he's busy fighting something else. If hit describe that you shoot him in the ass and apologize telling that you was trying to hit the goblin, the other players should find it funny.

sky red hunter
2018-03-09, 11:15 AM
level 3 take a level of cleric and go war domain. with your wis you can bonus action attack for 3 turns, three turns with 2 attacks will really help with damage. could also shield of faith or hunters mark.

pdegan2814
2018-03-09, 01:42 PM
Conflict and tension between characters in a party is one thing, and can make for cool RP moments. But I've never understood how the level of PvP aggression being described by the OP is enjoyable to anyone.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2018-03-09, 03:34 PM
In general PvP is forbidden unless expressly allowed for at the start. You can simply challenge his actions if he tries to attack you as not being in the spirit of the campaign. You can do this by having the DM veto his action ( Example of such a veto "the door is locked, you can't open it") Remind the table that DnD is a cooperative game and having random bloodbaths in the party ruins the fun. Talk to the guy and encourage group cooperation

If PvP is allowed then I would recommend the following solutions

1.Having the party restrain him (3 Vs 1)

2. Join his religion (Now he will loose the favor of his God if he tries to kill you)

3. If you go UA Beast Master you have a loyal companion who will watch over you while you are sleeping also giving you a 2 to 1 advantage even if the party is not around

4. Become too useful for him to kill you. Be the guy with the potions, the food, the contacts etc.

5. He needs his Holy symbol to cast spells, Use hunters mark ( If the DM allows) to make the holy symbol your quarry round one of the fight. Shoot it with your regular action (D8 + D6) should break it. Next round make him your quarry and shoot em like a fish in a barrel. (Even if you DM does not let you shoot his holy symbol, Hunters mark is still a great spell that will turn the tide of battle in your favor)

6. Take the last watch. He regains his spells at the end of the rest (as you do). If you control the last rest, you can ensure that he is never awake with spell slots before you are.

7. Single target spells are unbalanced for PVP use them, and be wary of when of when he has them prepared.

8. In your downtime, buy/find a Arrow of Slaying for his racial subgroup. The key is that only you and the DM know that you have this arrow. He will loose his crap when you just one shot him in the first round of combat (6d10 extra damage is no joke)

Sigreid
2018-03-09, 03:47 PM
When it's your watch you could put a venomous snake in his bedroll...