PDA

View Full Version : Need a creator of an anti-magic field generating device

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-03-09, 10:46 AM
Some background:

I run a decent campaign and the fellows seem like they're having fun. A couple players in a campaign I run know more about D&D lore than I do though and that is an admitted area of my weakness. Last session they recovered an "Ark of the Covenant" type device which when charged by sunlight creates an anti-magic field. They're unsure if they want to turn this device back over to the human military which sent them after it or to the elves.

I need some help with D&D lore to maybe impress them or at least keep them from rolling their eyes at me. Who the heck would have created this Ark? I have read references to a Dragon in a series called "The Fallen" which may. Perhaps a deity of martial warriors?

It's probably just going to be background fluff but you never know. This party has turned a NPC Cousin Eddie type "Train Conductor" into a major recurring source of entertainment lol.

nickl_2000
2018-03-09, 11:06 AM
Here's a few possibilities that I see that may work out for you.

Haela Brightaxe (D): Goddess of luck in battle, joy of battle, dwarven fighters. (now a dead power, but could have easily made this awhile ago)
Vergadain (I): God of wealth, luck, chance, nonevil thieves, suspicion, trickery, negotiation, sly cleverness
Grolantor (I): God of hunting, combat, hill giants
Urogalan (D): God of earth, death, protection of the dead - Magic causes all kinds of bad things to happen to dead things

Cespenar
2018-03-09, 11:13 AM
The ancient Netheril were famous for crafting totally bonkers epic-level stuff. You can refer any crazy stuff to them and it would make sense 95% of the time.

Otherwise, if Planescape lore is still the same in 5e, one of the factions in Sigil could have easily created something like that. Maybe the Godsmen or the Harmonium, I'd think.

dreast
2018-03-09, 01:06 PM
The ancient Netheril were famous for crafting totally bonkers epic-level stuff. You can refer any crazy stuff to them and it would make sense 95% of the time.

Otherwise, if Planescape lore is still the same in 5e, one of the factions in Sigil could have easily created something like that. Maybe the Godsmen or the Harmonium, I'd think.

Not only that, but the ancient Netheril's chief god was Amaunator, a sun god. Furthermore, the Netheril killed Mystrul, goddess of magic, and created a lot of wild magic and anti magic effects when they did so.

When I read the description of your object all I could think was "Ancient Netherese artifact corrupted by Karsus's Folly." But that only works if you're in Faerun (or a multiplanar setting).