PDA

View Full Version : AL Warlock, want to take advantage of found spellbook

Cynthaer
2018-03-09, 05:35 PM
As the title says, I have a level 1 AL GOO Warlock and just got a spellbook as a quest reward, with these spells:

1st - absorb elements, find familiar, grease, unseen servant;
2nd - dust devil, flaming sphere, misty step.

I would like to take advantage of this opportunity. I don't care if it's not the most optimal build OVERALL, but I want to optimize a build that *uses this spellbook.*

So far I've only come up with A) going Pact of the Tome and getting to copy the two rituals, or B) going 1 or 3 levels of Wizard.

Three levels of Wizard strikes me as an absurd investment for a Warlock build, and I figure if I only take one level of Wizard I'm only getting two utility spells more than the Tome build. So I might as well just stay straight Tomelock and be satisfied with grabbing Find Familiar and Unseen Servant for free, right?

Am I missing any other ways for a non-Wizard to benefit from a spellbook, aside from the Ritual Caster feat?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-09, 06:31 PM
I would go Pact of the Tome to copy down the ritual spells, then look into selling the spellbook, or perhaps trading it to copy more rituals from an NPC caster.

Chugger
2018-03-09, 07:15 PM
You can change your AL char all you want - except its name - til you go on your first lvl 5 adventure.

I'd experiment with this idea of incorporating the book and see if it really is worth it. Are you going to play this char to lvl 20? Then it is most definitely _not_ worth it. You'll get tired of it.

Unless you grab the rituals by taking a feat, like Ritual Caster. Find Familiar is worth it - it's good. But you can get a really good familiar (turns itself invis and spies ahead for you!) as a lock, if you make that choice (but that familiar is less able to assist (give advantage) in combat - the owl (with flyby) is superior for that and can spy ahead for you some).

ThatDrowPlayer
2018-03-09, 08:20 PM
The Book of Ancient Secrets invocation gives you ritual casting and let's you copy rituals in your tome. You can only cast rituals as rituals, per the invocation, but that saves you slots. Copy the rituals, then sell the book, or use it to bargain for something else. You could even sell the individual pages if you wanted.

Cynthaer
2018-03-09, 10:36 PM
I'd experiment with this idea of incorporating the book and see if it really is worth it. Are you going to play this char to lvl 20? Then it is most definitely _not_ worth it. You'll get tired of it.

I mean, it's AL, so it's likely to top out at Tier 2.

Anyway, seems the consensus is that if I'm gonna do anything with this, I should do it as a single-class Warlock. I think I'll go with Tomelock and the ritual book invocation and be happy with my two free rituals.

WickerNipple
2018-03-10, 09:27 AM
I mean, it's AL, so it's likely to top out at Tier 2.

Anyway, seems the consensus is that if I'm gonna do anything with this, I should do it as a single-class Warlock. I think I'll go with Tomelock and the ritual book invocation and be happy with my two free rituals.

None of that is worth building a character around. Just sell it and do whatever you were planning before.

Cynthaer
2018-03-10, 02:58 PM
None of that is worth building a character around. Just sell it and do whatever you were planning before.

I didn't really mention it in the OP, but I didn't have a specific build in mind beyond the GOO patron, so Tomelock works for me just fine. The only real question was whether there was anything to do with the book beyond that, which seems like a pretty solid "no".

NecroDancer
2018-03-10, 04:03 PM
Being a Tomelock also gives much needed versatility to a spell slot starved warlock.