PDA

View Full Version : Druid Spell Help {3.5}

thedarkcrash
2018-03-10, 04:45 AM
In my home-brew campaign all the characters got a random bonus to what they were after the first session started. Mine being a druid was that my animal companion got a half dragon template applied on top. So now that I have a broken animal companion, what spells would be really good for buffing him? {Magebred BrownBear} I have access to spells to level 4. Other MEME spells well be taken into consideration. There is no limit on books

Rebel7284
2018-03-10, 10:58 AM
Bite of the wereboar
Friendly Fire
Magic Fang

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2018-03-10, 11:39 AM
Sadly it's not a valid target for Enrage Animal any more, that's one of the best ones to use at low levels. Hopefully you used Handle Animal to add the Warbeast template (MM2) to it before it became a Half-Dragon.

You can put (Lesser Rod of Extended) Longstrider and Cloud Wings (SC) on it for increased mobility. Greater Magic Fang for +1 to all its natural weapons would also be good. Greater Resistance is 4th level and lasts 24 hours.

Otherwise I'd just stick to crowd controls like Wall of Smoke, Kelpstrand, Sleet Storm, Wall of Thorns, Call Avalanche, etc.

If you want to break the game you can put Snowsight on everyone and cast Obscuring Snow, both of which last an hour/level. Get the rest of the party to each pitch in 2,000 gp for a 1st level Pearl of Power and to go in thirds on Lesser Rods of Extend, so you only use one 1st level spell slot to Snowsight everyone and you can Extend all of those so it lasts all day. Wizards and Clerics can also cast Obscuring Snow. Both spells are in Frostburn.

Be sure you have Natural Bond to negate some of the 'level -6' that applies to a stronger companion's benefits.

Half-Dragon should have increased its Int score, and if you picked a good dragon variety and your character's good aligned, you can make it good as well and give it Vow of Poverty so it's even stronger.

Give it some cross-class Spellcraft ranks and the Mage Slayer line of feats in CA.

Nifft
2018-03-10, 02:46 PM
Take a look at the Dragon Breath feat in Races of the Dragon; while you're in that book, also check out Entangling Exhalation.

In the later book Dragon Magic, there are spells like Primal Hunter / Primal Instinct / Primal Senses (and at level 6, Primal Speed). Those last 24 hours, and some of the perks are impressive (like the +5 to initiative and the +5 to Spot & Listen). If you share them, your Dragon-blooded companion ought to get some extra benefits, at least one of which is hilarious on a pet bear.