PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Building the Mountain Dwarf Wizard

ZorroGames
2018-03-10, 12:43 PM
So the Variant Human Ranger died and I decided to go back to my fave, Mountain Dwarf.

After too many complaints from the full casters that I gimped by not being a fighter (translation: Protect me, meat shield!) I decided to start a first tier character for some open game AL play. A Mountain Dwarf Wizard.

So, yes, this is roleplay over optimaztion to some degree but call it quasi-optimized.

Oh and Hide armor buying at 1st level, being Mountain Dwarf and looking to go Medium Armor unless I dip Fighter first.

Builds I am looking at:

The PeteNutButter flavor
St 17, De 8, Co 17, In 15, Wi 8, Ch 8. Fourth level +1 Co and +1 In. Later a feat for +1 St.

Balanced Build A
St 15, De 10, Co 16, In 15, Wi 10, Ch 10. Fourth +1 St, +1 In.

Balanced Build B
St 16, De 10, Co 15, In 15, Wi 10, Ch 10. Fourth +1 Co, +1 In.

Pros and Cons advice for these three builds that does not abandon Mountain Dwarf for another race invited.

Zonugal
2018-03-10, 12:58 PM
Do you actually need that high of strength? As a Dwarf you won't suffer any movement penalty should you ever become proficient in heavy armor.

With that in mind, I do love the Mountain Dwarf wizard (or as I have dubbed it: the Rune-Lord), so what do you think of a stat arrangement like this (using the standard array)?

Str 14, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8

That is built for medium armor though. If you imagine you'll adopt heavy armor in your adventuring career then you'd want to switch your strength & dexterity around resulting in:

Str 16, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8

SirGraystone
2018-03-10, 01:09 PM
What role do you plan to be? If it's mainly spellcaster you can go with something like 14 14 14 15 11 8, medium armor let you have +2 dex on AC, if you want to be more melee then spellcasting think about fighter eldritch knight.

ZorroGames
2018-03-10, 03:58 PM
Thematically, “Ironclad Full Caster.”

The idea of a Wizard at 8th Character level - 7th Wizard - with a 18 ST and/or Co in heavy armor with access to Wizard Spells tickles me

But a Medium Armor Mountain Dwarf War Wizard sounds like a different kind if fun.

Both work for me.

And if you get stuck in by circumstance you have a decent chance to fight your way out if needed.

djreynolds
2018-03-10, 04:48 PM
I played one. I ended up using shocking grasp in melee as my "weapon".

The only thing that sucks is you are behind the curve until 13th level, albeit, by 1 point.

I had scale mail and later half plate.

Abjuration or evocation works best. I was abjuration

So at 4th and 8th I took +2 in intelligence, and at 12th +1 in con and intelligence.

Half plate and a 14 in dexterity is just fine. Spamming the shield spell kept filling up my arcane ward.

A fun build.

opaopajr
2018-03-11, 05:03 AM
You should max CON, so point buy 14 so as to get 16. And then you should focus on a delusional Wizard with Rogue-like pretensions. So raise your DEX to 14, take Criminal background for the Thieves' tools, Deception, & Stealth. This way whenever you unlock with Thieves' tools say, "Knock!", attempt stealth say, "Invisibility...", or throw a dagger or dart, say "Magic Missile."

After that it depends on what you want to focus on. :smalltongue:

Or you could take Mage Hand and Jump and throw Throwing Hammers as if you're one of the Super Mario Bros. Hammer Bros. Use Mage Hand to bring back your hammers. :smallsmile:

ZorroGames
2018-03-11, 07:23 AM
You should max CON, so point buy 14 so as to get 16. And then you should focus on a delusional Wizard with Rogue-like pretensions. So raise your DEX to 14, take Criminal background for the Thieves' tools, Deception, & Stealth. This way whenever you unlock with Thieves' tools say, "Knock!", attempt stealth say, "Invisibility...", or throw a dagger or dart, say "Magic Missile."

After that it depends on what you want to focus on. :smalltongue:

Or you could take Mage Hand and Jump and throw Throwing Hammers as if you're one of the Super Mario Bros. Hammer Bros. Use Mage Hand to bring back your hammers. :smallsmile:

Do you have anything useful to contribute?

ZorroGames
2018-03-11, 07:24 AM
I played one. I ended up using shocking grasp in melee as my "weapon".

The only thing that sucks is you are behind the curve until 13th level, albeit, by 1 point.

I had scale mail and later half plate.

Abjuration or evocation works best. I was abjuration

So at 4th and 8th I took +2 in intelligence, and at 12th +1 in con and intelligence.

Half plate and a 14 in dexterity is just fine. Spamming the shield spell kept filling up my arcane ward.

A fun build.

Thanks, good advice.

ZorroGames
2018-03-11, 07:25 AM
What role do you plan to be? If it's mainly spellcaster you can go with something like 14 14 14 15 11 8, medium armor let you have +2 dex on AC, if you want to be more melee then spellcasting think about fighter eldritch knight.

That is a very nice build. Gracias.

ZorroGames
2018-03-11, 07:27 AM
Do you actually need that high of strength? As a Dwarf you won't suffer any movement penalty should you ever become proficient in heavy armor.

With that in mind, I do love the Mountain Dwarf wizard (or as I have dubbed it: the Rune-Lord), so what do you think of a stat arrangement like this (using the standard array)?

Str 14, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8

That is built for medium armor though. If you imagine you'll adopt heavy armor in your adventuring career then you'd want to switch your strength & dexterity around resulting in:

Str 16, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 8

Great build. Key decision is if I dip fighter for armor and saves at first level. Muchas Gracias.

Lombra
2018-03-11, 07:35 AM
War wizard? I had in mind a similar concept, realized that 16 strength is all I need if I want to use scag cantrips as my primary source of damage, then move everything to intelligence and constitution. At some point war caster is needed tho, and I wouldn't bother with resilient: CON.

If you start (post racials) with a 16 in strength, a 17 in con and a 15 in int, then that's how I'd place the ASIs:

4th level +1/+1 int/con
8th level warcaster
12th level +2 int
16th level +2 int
19th level +2 con

Running around in medium armor wielding a warhammer in one hand and a focus in the other. Pretty cool I'd say.

8wGremlin
2018-03-11, 11:59 PM
AFB- don’t you have to cast the spell on your turn to recharge your ward?

Shield is reaction on something else’s turn.

Crgaston
2018-03-12, 07:02 AM
AFB- don’t you have to cast the spell on your turn to recharge your ward?

Shield is reaction on something else’s turn.

It doesn’t specify on your turn.

And it stinks that War Wizard can’t use BB/GFB in AL.

ZorroGames
2018-03-12, 08:27 AM
It doesn’t specify on your turn.

And it stinks that War Wizard can’t use BB/GFB in AL.

You work with the army... I mean +1 book... you choose. 😉🤪