PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation For Starters

Kesnit
2018-03-10, 06:28 PM
My gaming group are experienced 3.5 and Pathfinder players. I recently got the 5e PHB, DMG, MM, Sword Coast (something), and (someone’s) Guide to Monsters(?). I have a few adventure packs, and can get others.

I’ve been thinking about running a short 5e game for my group, just to see what it is like. I’d rather run a premade adventure, as I’ve never played 5e. What would anyone recommend as a good place to start?

Kane0
2018-03-10, 06:32 PM
Lost Mine of Phandelver is a great inro module, and fits in well with most other campaign books that you might want to run afterwards.
But if you guys are experienced D&Ders already pretty much anything will run fine, you just have to retrain yourselves to the finer points of a new system.

Madfellow
2018-03-10, 07:50 PM
Curse of Strahd is an excellent module that can be finished in a handful of sessions if you're a bit generous with the xp. I always recommend it.

zinycor
2018-03-10, 08:54 PM
Curse of strahd is maybe the best, but it can end up being a little too dark or dramatic. If you and the players are into that, go all the way, if not tomb of annihilation is quite good as well.

MxKit
2018-03-11, 12:06 AM
Seconding Lost Mine of Phandelver. It's a really good intro adventure, and a good thing about it is that you can go straight from LMoP into Curse of Strahd (skipping Death House, which is a part of CoS that's totally optional, just there to get characters from lv1 to lv3 if necessary). You can also go straight from LMoP into one of the adventures from Tales from the Yawning Portal -- I'd recommend The Forge of Fury if they're lv4, and The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan if they're lv5.

Alternately, if you pick up Tales from the Yawning Portal, it actually gives you a neat selection of adventures for characters at various levels, meaning you can just play them all in order and have basically a campaign, getting the characters to probably around lv14 - lv15 by the end of the final adventure.

Finally, starting with Curse of Strahd is also totally viable and can be a ton of fun if your group likes that style of game anyway! The aforementioned Death House opening is specifically there so that you can get lv1 characters leveled up for the main adventure, and it does a good job of introducing the genre of the module and the general tone of Barovia, as well as the way 5e plays. CoS is also neat in that it offers a unique character background, a "monster hunter pack," and "gothic trinkets," meaning that if characters are being made specifically for that adventure, some or all of them can slot right into the gothic horror style of the game from the word go.