PDA

View Full Version : just a little what "if" to past the time

someonenonotyou
2007-08-29, 06:49 PM
what if(and i'm just saying if) roy stays dead and can't be broght back for some reason(like they lost the body in the ocean or some thing) then what would happen?would it be better for oots worse or same?

i think it would be same they would just get a new fighter?and go on to defeat Xykon. ooh maybe it would be thog the new fighter.

thats all any questions?

Lyinginbedmon
2007-08-29, 07:05 PM
I'm very certain we've had a good few threads concerning this issue. I can't find any of them for good reason.

So what, to flog a horse that, if not dead, is in dire peril of expiring, do you particularly want here? We can speculate to all ends of the day and hour that Roy will be replaced and then who by but ultimately we won't find out until the story arc ends and his fate is unveiled.

someonenonotyou
2007-08-29, 07:19 PM
there is i didn't see any sorry
just what ever you think going to happen.

David Argall
2007-08-29, 09:18 PM
what if roy stays dead and can't be broght back for some reason then what would happen?would it be better for oots worse or same?

Roy will be staying dead for some time, it would seem, but his chance of staying dead, period, is pretty much nil.
But his replacement would be a flaw to the story. We have been told this is Roy's story, and we have not been properly prepared to accept a replacement. Nor is there an easy way to keep the party together without Roy.
It just works so much smoother if we keep Roy in the party.

factotum
2007-08-30, 01:53 AM
Even if they lost the body in the ocean it wouldn't put Roy beyond the reach of a True Resurrection spell--OK, Durkon isn't high enough level to cast that as far as we know, but I'm sure there's a cleric SOMEWHERE in OotS-world who would do so in return for a sufficiently huge donation to his god. They could even entirely destroy his body and that spell would still work.

NerfTW
2007-08-30, 07:14 AM
If Roy can't be brought back, Belkar is screwed.

Pun Pun
2007-08-30, 04:09 PM
Hinjo can still remove the mark

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-30, 07:02 PM
Yep but making Hinjo angry is less funny that making Roy mad. Belkar is screwed, indeed.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-31, 10:02 AM
OK the reason Roy has formed the order to killXykon is because of a family blood oath. Should the order get a new fighter to hepl them destroy Xykon there would be no point as now the story would be a bunch of adventureres on an adventure with some guy everybody hates because he'll just seem a cheap knock-off from the Roy we all know and love. Basicly replacing Roy woul be a bad idea. It would be like killing off Harry Potter halfway through book 4. (Althouhg tht is a good idea Im sure you all agree that Roy is so much cooler than Potter, I just used it as an example cos everyone knows who Harry Potter is)

Finn Solomon
2007-08-31, 10:37 AM
Why do people pathologically feel the need to bash Harry Potter as an example of their gaming credibility?

That aside, I think OOTS can cope without Roy for a while, even though he's my favourite character. The double quest to resurrect him and save the next gate will be a goldmine of story-telling potential.

Ecalsneerg
2007-08-31, 10:44 AM
Why do people pathologically feel the need to bash Harry Potter as an example of their gaming credibility?

I feel the need to bash it to emphasise the fickleness of the public in preferring material, which while not bad in mediocre in many ways, as compared to the Discworld and His Dark Materials series, which undoubtably deserve more promotion amongst today's youth :P

also, Finn: your name looks familar. You didn't use to play CN, did you?

Finn Solomon
2007-08-31, 10:50 AM
Check your inbox, mate. :smallwink:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-08-31, 11:27 AM

That aside, I think OOTS can cope without Roy for a while, even though he's my favourite character. The double quest to resurrect him and save the next gate will be a goldmine of story-telling potential.

Apologies. I just couldnt think of a series of books that everyone would understand and wouldnt provoke a giant Frodo bashing arguement.

Furthermore yes I agree that OOTS can cope for a while but replacements for Roy would be going too far.

wojonatior
2007-08-31, 06:14 PM
they would get the new fighter and roy would control him and he would slowly turn into roy again in appearence.

VanBuren
2007-09-01, 01:34 PM
I feel the need to bash it to emphasise the fickleness of the public in preferring material, which while not bad in mediocre in many ways, as compared to the Discworld and His Dark Materials series, which undoubtably deserve more promotion amongst today's youth :P

also, Finn: your name looks familar. You didn't use to play CN, did you?

I don't know about you, but I have room for all of them in my life--well, not His Dark Materials since I haven't heard of that one, but y'know, Discworld for sure.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-09-04, 05:19 PM
I don't know about you, but I have room for all of them in my life--well, not His Dark Materials since I haven't heard of that one, but y'know, Discworld for sure.

His Dark Materials is the official name for the northern lights, subtle knife and amber spyglass books by Philip Pullman.

chibibar
2007-09-04, 05:55 PM
I guess some use HP reference because there are literally tons of people who know about it. (I assume this because world wide book sale is huge!!! huge I tell ya)

I don't think we would have a perma replacement, only a temp one (aka Hinjo comes to mine) until Hinjo manage to retake the city or something similar.... who knows.

but since Roy's body is intact (more or less) Durkon shouldn't have much problem brining his friend back to life...... tomorrow.

Will the party survive tomorrow with the rest of the lords against Hinjo??? we find out after the 17th.

factotum
2007-09-05, 02:01 AM
but since Roy's body is intact (more or less) Durkon shouldn't have much problem brining his friend back to life...... tomorrow.

You mean, other than the fact Roy's body is some miles away from him in a ruined city full of hobgoblins? Said city furthermore being "off the grid", which probably means it's blocked from magical access?

chibibar
2007-09-05, 11:13 AM
You mean, other than the fact Roy's body is some miles away from him in a ruined city full of hobgoblins? Said city furthermore being "off the grid", which probably means it's blocked from magical access?

Yea... as adventure goes "tomorrow" could be 1, 2, 3, or even weeks away :)

but Hinjo did say 24 hours... so I'm sure he'll think of something.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-09-05, 02:25 PM
Yea... as adventure goes "tomorrow" could be 1, 2, 3, or even weeks away :)

but Hinjo did say 24 hours... so I'm sure he'll think of something.

In fact, while V and Durkon are heading for bed, Haley has a LONG night to get through with the perpetually impulsive Belkar, thousands of hobgoblins searching through the ruins for anything worth carting off, and Roy's body.

And of course, this is all assuming Rich makes it back on the 17th. The last ten or so strips came at a rate of 1.25 per week... Well below Rich's plan of "three a week, just at random." The man is clearly not feeling well, and I know I would not begrudge him a longer vacation.

Dusk_Rider
2007-09-05, 02:42 PM
And of course, this is all assuming Rich makes it back on the 17th. The last ten or so strips came at a rate of 1.25 per week... Well below Rich's plan of "three a week, just at random." The man is clearly not feeling well, and I know I would not begrudge him a longer vacation.

Does the 1.25 count multiple pages in one comic?

wojonatior
2007-09-05, 08:00 PM
if roy never comes back there are spirit classes he could take.

dragonseth
2007-09-09, 08:48 PM
Roy becomes...a Risen Martyr!