PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Highest stealth possible? (Pure theory)

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-10, 10:48 PM
So out of curiosity I wanted to see what the Highest theoretical number you could get for stealth is. This is by Raw. Is it possible to get higher then a 98? Yes I'm aware this would never happen and it would be useless to take it this far.

Rogue 1/Ranger 10/Warlock 6(fiend)/3 more of anything
Wood Elf
Roll a 20 20
30 Dexterity +10
Undetecibility Boon +10
Expertise in Stealth +12
Pass without Trace +10
Bardic Inspiration +12
Guidance +4
Dark Ones Luck +10
Hide in plain Sight +10

Is there anything I'm missing?

HandofBlades
2018-03-10, 10:54 PM
Yes. You are missing the rogue who did this first. He is behind you and getting ready for his assassinate attack. Honestly I am not sure. Seems like everything unless you want to stack the ring of invisibility on to throw some disadvantage on the fellow looking for you.

Zene
2018-03-11, 01:51 AM
Ioun Stone of Mastery. Bend Luck.

If you’re counting Hide In Plain Sight as a +10 (when it’s really a -10 to the perception check of whoever’s trying to see you), then don’t forget to have your lore bard friend Cutting Words anyone looking for you for another d12.

For that matter, if you were a lore bard 14, you could Peerless Skill your stealth check to get another d12. That’s a better ceiling than Hide In Plain Sight provides, so I’d say drop the ranger and rogue to get there. (Lore Bard also provides expertise, and has Enhance Ability for advantage on the check.)

Zene
2018-03-11, 01:53 AM
Oh and a luckstone for another +1 to your Stealth Skill (+2 w expertise). Also Boots of elvenkind and/or invisibility are other ways to get advantage on the check.

the secret fire
2018-03-11, 02:21 AM
You are missing two levels of Diviner.

Hesh
2018-03-11, 09:01 AM
Not being there seems to be highest stealth possible. No chance lf failure.

the secret fire
2018-03-11, 11:52 AM
Not being there seems to be highest stealth possible. No chance lf failure.

To add to that, the greatest stealth possible if you're actually there probably involves beating stealth encounters without even rolling. A couple of ways to do this:

1. active illusion magic, not just "cloaking spells" like PwT. Illusions, if used cleverly (i.e. believably), can often defeat detection without a roll.

2. wildshape is similarly useful. Choose a small, natural animal that doesn't stand out from a given environment, and you can pass by many would-be stealth checks without a roll.

Trickery beats bonuses every time.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-11, 02:30 PM
Ioun Stone of Mastery. Bend Luck.

If you’re counting Hide In Plain Sight as a +10 (when it’s really a -10 to the perception check of whoever’s trying to see you), then don’t forget to have your lore bard friend Cutting Words anyone looking for you for another d12.

For that matter, if you were a lore bard 14, you could Peerless Skill your stealth check to get another d12. That’s a better ceiling than Hide In Plain Sight provides, so I’d say drop the ranger and rogue to get there. (Lore Bard also provides expertise, and has Enhance Ability for advantage on the check.)

How is HiPS a -10 to perception check out of curiosity it says that it's an addition to your stealth roll?
I completely missed the Ioun stone of mastery, that is awesome.
Bend Luck is an additional 1d4, I like it.
I'd completely skipped over Lore bard that is awesome but can you stack peerless skill with another bards inspiration?

To add to that, the greatest stealth possible if you're actually there probably involves beating stealth encounters without even rolling. A couple of ways to do this:

1. active illusion magic, not just "cloaking spells" like PwT. Illusions, if used cleverly (i.e. believably), can often defeat detection without a roll.

2. wildshape is similarly useful. Choose a small, natural animal that doesn't stand out from a given environment, and you can pass by many would-be stealth checks without a roll.

Trickery beats bonuses every time.

I agree completely, this is a major part of why I enjoy being a druid.

So my revised build. 106 Stealth on perfect rolls. Advantage on the check, disadvantage on perception against him, Truesight can't see him.

Lore Bard 14/Warlock 6(fiend)
Wood Elf
Roll a 20 20
30 Dexterity +10
Undetecibility Boon +10
Expertise in Stealth +12
Pass without Trace +10
Bardic Inspiration +12
Guidance +4
Dark Ones Luck +10
Peerless skill +12
Mastery Ioun +2
Bend Luck +4

Boots of elvenkind
Ring of invisibility
Cast fog cloud, so that even truesight can't see him.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-11, 05:11 PM
Remember that Detect Magic is a thing, e.g. Eldritch Sight, and will pick up the magic items and spell buffs.

True, but I'm not aware of any way to prevent that. He's already immune to divination magic and scrying sensors, but not being able to have detect magic see him I haven't seen anything like that in my perusal of the books.

Zene
2018-03-12, 01:00 AM
How is HiPS a -10 to perception check out of curiosity it says that it's an addition to your stealth roll?
I completely missed the Ioun stone of mastery, that is awesome.
Bend Luck is an additional 1d4, I like it.
I'd completely skipped over Lore bard that is awesome but can you stack peerless skill with another bards inspiration?

I agree completely, this is a major part of why I enjoy being a druid.

So my revised build. 106 Stealth on perfect rolls. Advantage on the check, disadvantage on perception against him, Truesight can't see him.

Lore Bard 14/Warlock 6(fiend)
Wood Elf
Roll a 20 20
30 Dexterity +10
Undetecibility Boon +10
Expertise in Stealth +12
Pass without Trace +10
Bardic Inspiration +12
Guidance +4
Dark Ones Luck +10
Peerless skill +12
Mastery Ioun +2
Bend Luck +4

Boots of elvenkind
Ring of invisibility
Cast fog cloud, so that even truesight can't see him.

Ah, you are right about HiPS. Serves me right for using a website instead of the book itself.

Peerless skill does in fact stack with inspiration from another bard. It’s pretty amazing.

JackOfAllBuilds
2018-03-12, 06:51 AM
True, but I'm not aware of any way to prevent that. He's already immune to divination magic and scrying sensors, but not being able to have detect magic see him I haven't seen anything like that in my perusal of the books.

Nystul’s Magic Aura, cast for 30 days for permanence, False Aura to make magical items non-magical to detection magic

the secret fire
2018-03-12, 09:43 AM
Now that I think of it, if you're building a master infiltrator, (at least) two levels of Warlock for Eyes of the Rune Keeper and Eldritch Sight would be awesome. Getting in is half the challenge of being a great thief. Being able to read all writing and detect magic at will should make it possible to avoid many traps and pitfalls that might otherwise get you, and make it easier to locate items, as well.

Might go something like:

vhuman (Skulker):
Rogue 2 (Expertise Stealth, Thieves' Tools)
Druid (Land) 9
Warlock (GOO) 2
Druid X

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-12, 12:06 PM
Nystul’s Magic Aura, cast for 30 days for permanence, False Aura to make magical items non-magical to detection magic

And he's a bard so he could do this himself, hell with short rest spell slots he could easily do this for the entire party.

Now that I think of it, if you're building a master infiltrator, (at least) two levels of Warlock for Eyes of the Rune Keeper and Eldritch Sight would be awesome. Getting in is half the challenge of being a great thief. Being able to read all writing and detect magic at will should make it possible to avoid many traps and pitfalls that might otherwise get you, and make it easier to locate items, as well.

Might go something like:

vhuman (Skulker):
Rogue 2 (Expertise Stealth, Thieves' Tools)
Druid (Land) 9
Warlock (GOO) 2
Druid X

I agree, though I think the bard/lock combo actually works better for this.
Expertise in stealth, thieves tools, perception, and investigation.
Invocations: eyes of the rune keeper, Eldritch sight, and devil's sight.
While we're doing that might as well throw in some feats since this guy had to start with 20 Dex...
Feats:observant, keen mind, dungeon delver, and athlete.

the secret fire
2018-03-12, 01:03 PM
I agree, though I think the bard/lock combo actually works better for this.

Detect Magic takes concentration, so you can't keep up another stealth spell, like Pass w/o Trace, with Detect Magic up. I like Druid because taking a small animal form gives you excellent stealth/infiltration abilities without eating up that concentration slot.

MrWesson22
2018-03-12, 07:16 PM
Nondetection doesn't require concentration.