PDA

View Full Version : Comics Hela (comics version) vs Zod (comics version) {minor spoiler}

gooddragon1
2018-03-11, 02:38 AM
In Thor: Ragnarok Hela tells Thor and Loki to kneel. Zod also likes to tell people to kneel before him.

General Dru-Zod (http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/General_Zod)

Vs

Hela (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hela_(Earth-616))

Rules:
+Pinnacle of strength that each one can attain in any of the comics without assistance of items (like infinity stones).
+Start 10 feet away from each other. Hela has instructed Zod to kneel. Zod has told hela to "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!".
+Infinite open desert expanse under a yellow sun
+Desert is counted as being in Hela's realm
+Zod is treated as having continual exposure to a yellow sun
+Kryptonite/Red Sun/Whatever weaknesses Hela/Zod have are not allowed
+Fight to death or surrender

Who ends up kneeling (or possibly dead)?

Giggling Ghast
2018-03-11, 02:47 AM
That's a really weird and completely lopsided match-up. Hela is not only the Goddess of Death with power up the wazoo, but her powers are also magic-based and Kryptonians are vulnerable to magic. She could wave a hand and kill him in an instant :smallconfused:

gooddragon1
2018-03-11, 02:55 AM
That's a really weird and completely lopsided match-up. Hela is not only the Goddess of Death with power up the wazoo, but her powers are also magic-based and Kryptonians are vulnerable to magic. She could wave a hand and kill him in an instant :smallconfused:

That's why I wanted the pinnacle of what a kryptonian could achieve. I figured somewhere in the silver age comics superman (also kryptonian) might have resisted magic. He sneezed a galaxy into oblivion. Couldn't be too unreasonable?

Kitten Champion
2018-03-11, 03:06 AM

In Hel Hela's nigh invincible, but put in a random empty desert expanse from Dragon Ball Z and she becomes just really powerful.

...and the pinnacle of what a Kryptonian can achieve in the Silver Age sense is whatever nonsense you want them to.

gooddragon1
2018-03-11, 04:46 PM
...and the pinnacle of what a Kryptonian can achieve in the Silver Age sense is whatever nonsense you want them to.

I don't know. Unless I see something which says a Kryptonian can pull a Franklin Richards in the silver age comics I'd just go with the absurd stuff they're shown to do. Usually it's just limited to superman's standard powers taken to absurd lengths. I was hoping somewhere in one of the comics he could resist magic (going to add that Hela can treat the desert area as being in her realm for full power potential).

Devonix
2018-03-11, 10:52 PM
You have to remember that the krytonian vulnerability to magic lies in it not being a vulnerability at all. It's that magic affects them the same as every one else.

Kryptonians are invulnerable to fire. But magic fire burns them because that's what the spell does.

However it doesn't take away their durability.

Magic bullets hut and magic swords cut. But a regular blast won't do much. Or a magic person hitting them is shrugged off unless they have a spell making them strong or the krytonian weak.

Reddish Mage
2018-03-11, 11:23 PM
Hela has magic aging/death bolts though, and curses. Old-time Superman and Superman Prime are both immune to magic, but post-crisis Superman has always had magic work on him. The explanation for Superman Prime’s pretty much invincible and omnipotent state is that he has baked longer in the sun.

Some versions of Zod are stronger than Superman, and by that logic, might be more resistant to magic. I don’t think magic against Zod comes up too much but I haven’t seen it.

Hela has the full complement of superpowers that other Asgardians have and not in small amounts. Her touch kills. Even accepting Zod is much stronger and faster, Hel’s magic is just too strong and too deadly. By the time Zod realizes Hela posses a real threat he’s probably already dead or crippled and on his knees.

Leewei
2018-03-12, 09:53 AM
Hela travels in Dormammu's social circles, and occasionally makes alliances with him. If not his peer, she's at least powerful enough that he takes her very seriously.

Zod is analogous to Superman, but without the Man of Steel's ability to rally to a good cause.

Outcome: Zod quickly determines that he badly underestimated Hela, kneels to her, and becomes her chief henchman until his inevitable Starscream moment.

The Troubadour
2018-03-12, 04:44 PM
Hela is hella strong. She's not only capable of going toe-to-toe with Thor, who is roughly on post-Crisis Superman's physical power level (although it should be noted that in their most iconic confrontation, during Simonsen's run, an enraged Thor handily bested her in a physical match), but also has plenty of vaguely-defined magical powers (and even Silver Age Superman was vulnerable to magic, a weakness which, depending on the story, could range from "I'm not invulnerable to this sort of attack but I still have boatloads of 'Hit Points' " to "this sort of attack is actually more effective against me than it would be against a regular person"), such as her Hand of Glory attack.

On the other hand, Zod should be either equal to or slightly more powerful than Superman, and if it's Silver Age Superman we're talking about, that's orders of magnitude above Hela's physical might. Also, Hela has an inherent weakness in that without her cloak, she reverts to a half-corpse and becomes extremely weak; Zod wouldn't know about that, it's conceivable the cloak could be damaged or lost in some way during their battle. However, Hela wouldn't just stand there and trade blows with him, not when she could use her magic to go for sneakier attacks.

To sum it up: if it comes down to a direct confrontation, I'd say Silver Age Zod wins, though Hela would still have a chance, but if it's any other kind of fight, Hela wins. If it's post-Crisis Zod, Hela definitely wins even in a physical battle.

gooddragon1
2018-03-12, 07:45 PM
Hela is hella strong. She's not only capable of going toe-to-toe with Thor, who is roughly on post-Crisis Superman's physical power level (although it should be noted that in their most iconic confrontation, during Simonsen's run, an enraged Thor handily bested her in a physical match), but also has plenty of vaguely-defined magical powers (and even Silver Age Superman was vulnerable to magic, a weakness which, depending on the story, could range from "I'm not invulnerable to this sort of attack but I still have boatloads of 'Hit Points' " to "this sort of attack is actually more effective against me than it would be against a regular person"), such as her Hand of Glory attack.

On the other hand, Zod should be either equal to or slightly more powerful than Superman, and if it's Silver Age Superman we're talking about, that's orders of magnitude above Hela's physical might. Also, Hela has an inherent weakness in that without her cloak, she reverts to a half-corpse and becomes extremely weak; Zod wouldn't know about that, it's conceivable the cloak could be damaged or lost in some way during their battle. However, Hela wouldn't just stand there and trade blows with him, not when she could use her magic to go for sneakier attacks.

To sum it up: if it comes down to a direct confrontation, I'd say Silver Age Zod wins, though Hela would still have a chance, but if it's any other kind of fight, Hela wins. If it's post-Crisis Zod, Hela definitely wins even in a physical battle.

Well actually any comics are available to either combatant. So if you know of any comic where superman (or kryptonians in general) resisted magic it would be valid.

The Troubadour
2018-03-12, 08:05 PM
Well actually any comics are available to either combatant. So if you know of any comic where superman (or kryptonians in general) resisted magic it would be valid.

I know a few, but it was always because of external factors (such as Zatanna protecting him). Other than that, I don't think he's ever resisted magic; even in the "Kingdom Come" continuity, where he had absorbed so much solar energy even kryptonite couldn't affect him anymore, he wasn't invulnerable to Captain Marvel's magical lightning.

gooddragon1
2018-03-12, 08:29 PM
I know a few, but it was always because of external factors (such as Zatanna protecting him). Other than that, I don't think he's ever resisted magic; even in the "Kingdom Come" continuity, where he had absorbed so much solar energy even kryptonite couldn't affect him anymore, he wasn't invulnerable to Captain Marvel's magical lightning.

So is his Kingdom Come version the strongest form for superman or Silver age or a mix of both?

The Troubadour
2018-03-12, 08:37 PM
So is his Kingdom Come version the strongest form for superman or Silver age or a mix of both?

Should be a mix of both.

Leewei
2018-03-13, 09:30 AM
While General Zod is mostly a fair analog to Superman, unless the general has shown any resistance to magic, we cannot grant him Superman's acquired training or abilities granted by sorcerous beings.

General Zod would need these abilities shown somewhere in the comics.

Tvtyrant
2018-03-13, 11:56 AM
In Thor: Ragnarok Hela tells Thor and Loki to kneel. Zod also likes to tell people to kneel before him.

General Dru-Zod (http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/General_Zod)

Vs

Hela (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hela_(Earth-616))

Rules:
+Pinnacle of strength that each one can attain in any of the comics without assistance of items (like infinity stones).
+Start 10 feet away from each other. Hela has instructed Zod to kneel. Zod has told hela to "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!".
+Infinite open desert expanse under a yellow sun
+Desert is counted as being in Hela's realm
+Zod is treated as having continual exposure to a yellow sun
+Kryptonite/Red Sun/Whatever weaknesses Hela/Zod have are not allowed
+Fight to death or surrender

Who ends up kneeling (or possibly dead)?

Depends on whose setting we are in. In the DC universe deific powers are not magical, and gods are treated more like marvel mutants. Darkseids eyebeams don't overpower Superman, for instance. Magic in DC involves demons and extradimensional stuff which is kept seperate.

In marvel the division between magic and superpowers is loose, with some extradimensional stuff called magic and some normal dimensional stuff also called magic (Loki).

Zod would have no issues with a DC God, but Trygon would eat him alive. Hela is probably a demon by DC rules so would win, but if she is a DC god she loses. She is not, for instance, as strong as Darkseid.

The Troubadour
2018-03-13, 03:00 PM
The New Gods aren't magical, but regular gods (like the gods of Olympus, the gods that empower Captain Marvel, or the gods which empowered Shazam back when he was Vlarem) are - or at least, they know magic in addition to their regular powers.