PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Baldur's Gate game and ToA - any crossover?

Kaibis
2018-03-11, 03:16 AM
Just about to start ToA, a quick perusal tells me that it starts in Baldur's Gate.

One of my players (we played a oneshot yesterday with 5 first-time players, and he impressed me by being prepared with a good backstory, and by having taken time to read the rules), mentioned that he had played Baldur's Gate (I was asking what RPG experience they had). When he introduced himself he said that he had come from Baldur's Gate.

I would like to know if there is any crossover between the PC game and the module. I would really like to reward the player by tying some stuff in, and by also giving him permission to be familiar with the town of Baldur's Gate.

Any thoughts on this?

Moradin
2018-03-11, 04:59 AM
Just about to start ToA, a quick perusal tells me that it starts in Baldur's Gate.

One of my players (we played a oneshot yesterday with 5 first-time players, and he impressed me by being prepared with a good backstory, and by having taken time to read the rules), mentioned that he had played Baldur's Gate (I was asking what RPG experience they had). When he introduced himself he said that he had come from Baldur's Gate.

I would like to know if there is any crossover between the PC game and the module. I would really like to reward the player by tying some stuff in, and by also giving him permission to be familiar with the town of Baldur's Gate.

Any thoughts on this?

If by ToA you mean Tomb of Annihilation, then none that I recall. ToA is set in Chult I think, BG is set on the Sword Coast. No overlap with the story either.
That doesn't mean you couldn't insert a reference to the games yourself. In BG, there's a Carnival going on in Nashkel, with a few merchants. One might hail from Chult or something, and when your player meets them, they could mention they visited Nashkel recently.

Kaibis
2018-03-11, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the response, yes I meant Tomb of Annihalation. You prompted me to read further (I am currently just perusing module opening paragraphs to decide which one). The ToA one just said "The adventure's default starting location is the city of Baldur's Gate on the Sword Coast, in the Forgotten Realms setting."... However reading a bit further I see that that is like suggesting the Lost Mine of Phandelver is set in Neverwinter.

Baptor
2018-03-12, 09:06 AM
If he's played the Baldur's Gate series of games, then it might be a thrill to tie something in from them. Just a throw-away thing so he can go, "hey, I remember that!" Which is always fun.

Baldur's Gate is about the (abortive) return of Bhaal, lord of Murder. Later, in the Sundering, he actually does return. Maybe the lich-boss is somehow using/abusing a Bhaal cult somewhere in Chult to his ends? Since they worship murder and death? I dunno. Might be fun.

Droodicus
2018-03-12, 09:19 AM
Make Minsc and Boo one of the guide options.
Or have him know one of the flaming fist mercs, whether that's good or bad is up to you.

Random npc cameos would be fun though.

FirstBornSon
2018-03-12, 10:34 AM
There is flaming fist fort in toa who are merceneries from bg so there is direct connection.

jollydm
2018-03-12, 11:18 AM
Make Minsc and Boo one of the guide options.
Or have him know one of the flaming fist mercs, whether that's good or bad is up to you.

Random npc cameos would be fun though.

Butt kicking for goodness!

Tanngrisnr
2018-03-12, 11:47 AM
I'll just throw some quick ideas here.

The events that occur on the Baldur's Gate game happened around 200 years ago in the FR continuity, if I'm not mistaken. That said, some of the NPC's have lifespams that could justify them being in Chult, and even for the human NPC's it is not so hard to come up with a nice reference to tie ToA and the game together.

- Quayle was the ringmaster of a travelling Circus that could now be in Port Nyanzaru;
- Coran is still alive and is a lord in Baldur's Gate (this is canon), he has a son who travels with Minsc and Boo;
- Minsc and Boo are alive and well as a result of the events in the D&D comic books by Jim Zub;
- Edwin could show up as a very, verey, very angry and old lady in charge of a filthy drinking hole;
- Members of the Order of the Gauntlet could be related to Keldorn (yes!), Ajantis (no!), Anomen (yuck!), Branwen (meh);
- Kivan, Xan and Viconia are all elves and could very well be alive and show up in Chult;
- Cernd had a estranged son named Ashdale who turned to fiendish sorcery, it wouldn't be surprising to see him as a mook for Acererak or Ras Nsi, and be a potencial source of info on any of those two;
- Sarevok's whereabouts are unkown and he could have very well ended up in Chult, hiding from his past life.

Droodicus
2018-03-13, 07:59 AM
There's a minsc and Boo Comic?

nickl_2000
2018-03-13, 08:30 AM
I'll just throw some quick ideas here.

The events that occur on the Baldur's Gate game happened around 200 years ago in the FR continuity, if I'm not mistaken. That said, some of the NPC's have lifespams that could justify them being in Chult, and even for the human NPC's it is not so hard to come up with a nice reference to tie ToA and the game together.

- Quayle was the ringmaster of a travelling Circus that could now be in Port Nyanzaru;
- Coran is still alive and is a lord in Baldur's Gate (this is canon), he has a son who travels with Minsc and Boo;
- Minsc and Boo are alive and well as a result of the events in the D&D comic books by Jim Zub;
- Edwin could show up as a very, verey, very angry and old lady in charge of a filthy drinking hole;
- Members of the Order of the Gauntlet could be related to Keldorn (yes!), Ajantis (no!), Anomen (yuck!), Branwen (meh);
- Kivan, Xan and Viconia are all elves and could very well be alive and show up in Chult;
- Cernd had a estranged son named Ashdale who turned to fiendish sorcery, it wouldn't be surprising to see him as a mook for Acererak or Ras Nsi, and be a potencial source of info on any of those two;
- Sarevok's whereabouts are unkown and he could have very well ended up in Chult, hiding from his past life.

In a campaign we played there was a statue of a Ranger holding his giant miniature space hamster in Baldur's Gate. Something important happened under the statue, so it was a wonderful reference :)

Tanngrisnr
2018-03-13, 09:44 AM
There's a minsc and Boo Comic?

Yes! I didn't read all of the series, but what I read is pretty good.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/dungeons-dragons-legends-of-baldurs-gate/

In a campaign we played there was a statue of a Ranger holding his giant miniature space hamster in Baldur's Gate.

According to the comics, this is canon.

Kaibis
2018-03-13, 05:23 PM
This is awesome thanks, I will have a read of the comics.

I know Minsc from the Idle Champions game. So incorporating him would be really cool. If he is dead, then a statue (or a child).