PDA

View Full Version : Blink Spell/Skill

MaxMAnAtArms
2018-03-11, 04:01 AM
So the spell Blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm) it lets you "phase" back and forth between Material Plane and Ethereal Plane. I was talking with friends and we got into an argument based on the effect of the shunting. I.e walking through wall and being forced back to the normal world. If a person was using a Chain/whip/long ranged weapon etc. And they phased back to the materal after there weapon as hit/gone through a person. What would happen to the weapon? would it be stuck inside the person? Would it damage them? Could you rip it out of em or force it through em?

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-11, 04:26 AM
So the spell Blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm) it lets you "phase" back and forth between Material Plane and Ethereal Plane. I was talking with friends and we got into an argument based on the effect of the shunting. I.e walking through wall and being forced back to the normal world. If a person was using a Chain/whip/long ranged weapon etc. And they phased back to the materal after there weapon as hit/gone through a person. What would happen to the weapon? would it be stuck inside the person? Would it damage them? Could you rip it out of em or force it through em?

This is covered in the spell description. There's an X% chance of the weapon making contact regardless of the blinking. Since it blinks out just as quickly as in, it doesn't make a meaningful difference from the weapon's normal function of slicing/tearing its way in.

For greater blink you could maybe time it to stick in them but it would just shunt back out and -maybe- do an extra d6 to both the target and itself, DM willing.

DrMotives
2018-03-11, 07:38 AM
The MoP calls it out as an optional rule, but it was a standard rule in previous editions that living things in the material plane are an absolute barrier to ethereal objects. If an run of ivy on a fortress wall blocks ethereal intruders, then a lash attack by a blinking opponent shouldn't get weird extra damage from phasing into your pancreas mid-swing.