View Full Version : Player Help Can you Dual class an arcane trickster with Cleric?

Mistique65
2018-03-11, 04:23 AM
Playing in a home game atm, the Curse of Strahd campaign.
We don't have a cleric atm.....I have an optimised 3rd level AT, ready to level to 4th........is it possible to dual class with Cleric to get some healing ability or given the AT build is that going to be difficult at best?
Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

SkylarkR6
2018-03-11, 06:25 AM
Depending on stats you can dual class anything, really. What are yours?
Arcane trickster with trickery cleric has nice synergy. Blessing of the trickster and invoke duplicity are nice boosts

Arkhios
2018-03-11, 06:38 AM
If you have at least dex 13 and wis 13, go for it. That's all there is that can prevent you from doing it if you follow the rules as they are written.

Citan
2018-03-11, 11:09 AM
Playing in a home game atm, the Curse of Strahd campaign.
We don't have a cleric atm.....I have an optimised 3rd level AT, ready to level to 4th........is it possible to dual class with Cleric to get some healing ability or given the AT build is that going to be difficult at best?
Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

Hi!

Well, I don't see why that would be difficult, unless you have very low WIS (which wouldn't be a great idea in the first place ^^).

IF nobody in your party wants to invest into healing AND you just want the minimum investment to help your party, then a single level in Life Cleric will be enough. Although I'd argue that even better could be the Healer feat since it wouldn't delay your progression.
But Life Cleric is not a bad choice: shields, small bump on your spellcasting capability and 2-3 emergency spells.

Beyond that, if you want/expect to take more Clerics levels (much) later (like after you got Evasion, or Even Reliable Talent) then you'll have to consider whether to pick Knowledge, Tempest or Trickery. ;)
But that doesn't seem to be your objective so I won't detail.

BurgerBeast
2018-03-11, 11:25 AM
And, strictly speaking, multiclassing is an optional rule. It sounds like this is probably not an issue, though.

Mistique65
2018-03-11, 10:18 PM
8,18,14,16,10,10 are stats.......given focus was on AT
Thanks for the info..... if I can get some latitude from the gm on moving stats a bit what would you suggest?
12 wis be enough?

Sigreid
2018-03-11, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info..... if I can get some latitude from the gm on moving stats a bit what would you suggest?
12 wis be enough?

Has to be at least 13

Anymage
2018-03-11, 10:29 PM
You can also pick up Bard or Druid instead of cleric if you just want to get Cure Wounds on your spell list, although in those cases you'll still need at least a 13 in the respective primary stat in order to multiclass.

Alternatively, a generous but not excessive reading of Magic Initiate allows you to consider the first level spell you pick up "learned", and castable using spell slots. It probably isn't 100% rules kosher. But since you're blowing an ASI on the ability to spend your spell slots to support the rest of the team, you can probably talk your DM into it without too much trouble.

Citan
2018-03-12, 07:34 AM
You can also pick up Bard or Druid instead of cleric if you just want to get Cure Wounds on your spell list, although in those cases you'll still need at least a 13 in the respective primary stat in order to multiclass.

Alternatively, a generous but not excessive reading of Magic Initiate allows you to consider the first level spell you pick up "learned", and castable using spell slots. It probably isn't 100% rules kosher. But since you're blowing an ASI on the ability to spend your spell slots to support the rest of the team, you can probably talk your DM into it without too much trouble.
It was how everyone understood Magic Initiate before some tweet then errata went and stupidly nerfed it (I say stupidly because I really don't see how it could have been a big deal mechanically so it must have been just for fluff reasons).

So I daresay a DM should have no worries at all houseruling as such. :)

Specter
2018-03-12, 06:01 PM
Also, Guiding Bolt is recommended: many enemies you'll face suffer with radiant damage.

Greywander
2018-03-12, 07:06 PM
Has to be at least 13
Don't forget you can always ask your DM to waive the ability score prerequisites for multiclassing. I always found them kind of pointless myself, but I suppose they provide a rule justification for a DM to shoot down a more ridiculous minmaxed build.

Ask the DM if it's fine without 13 in Wisdom, knowing that your spells will be less effective. If the DM understand that you're not trying to break the game, then they might allow it. If your DM lets you rebuild your character and you want to lean more heavily into cleric, feel free to put more points into Wisdom. 14 or 16 is sufficient for a competent character, if not an optimized one.

Sigreid
2018-03-12, 10:50 PM
Don't forget you can always ask your DM to waive the ability score prerequisites for multiclassing. I always found them kind of pointless myself, but I suppose they provide a rule justification for a DM to shoot down a more ridiculous minmaxed build.

Ask the DM if it's fine without 13 in Wisdom, knowing that your spells will be less effective. If the DM understand that you're not trying to break the game, then they might allow it. If your DM lets you rebuild your character and you want to lean more heavily into cleric, feel free to put more points into Wisdom. 14 or 16 is sufficient for a competent character, if not an optimized one.

Yeah, but that applies to most any rule.

Greywander
2018-03-13, 01:25 AM
Yeah, but that applies to most any rule.
True, but I think most DMs will be more amenable to waiving the multiclassing prereqs than they will be to, say, letting you dual-wield greatswords. Some rule-bending requests are more reasonable than others.

Theodoxus
2018-03-13, 02:23 AM
Another option is to take the Healer feat at 4th level. It's not quite as good as on a Thief, but you can use the Mage Hand to use a healer's kit at range. Just not as a bonus action. But 1d6+4+level is pretty decent for emergency healing once per rest per person. The +1 hit point when you stabilize is pretty great too, if you're ok with Chumbawamba tactics.

Citan
2018-03-13, 05:58 AM
12 wis be enough?

Has to be at least 13

Honestly, even if DM would actually favor strict enforcement of PHB, I'd say investing ASI/feats to bump WIS would still be worth it.
It's annoying for sure, but since Rogue has an extra ASI in the first place not so bad.
For example, +2 WIS and Observant would be enough to allow the multiclass, and make your character extra good in one of the classic Rogue's role, which is scouting (obviously be proficient, could even pick Expertise in Perception and Investigation to break things ;)).

Real problem of that solution is, that would come quite late: by the time you get thee, you may in fact find that you can survive well enough without Cleric.

Arkhios
2018-03-13, 06:48 AM
Honestly, even if DM would actually favor strict enforcement of PHB, I'd say investing ASI/feats to bump WIS would still be worth it.
It's annoying for sure, but since Rogue has an extra ASI in the first place not so bad.
For example, +2 WIS and Observant would be enough to allow the multiclass, and make your character extra good in one of the classic Rogue's role, which is scouting (obviously be proficient, could even pick Expertise in Perception and Investigation to break things ;)).

Real problem of that solution is, that would come quite late: by the time you get thee, you may in fact find that you can survive well enough without Cleric.

Setting aside the obvious or less obvious issues, if you can afford it, you should spend another ASI for Resilient (Wisdom), because it hurts quite a bit when the rogue fails the wisdom saves. Especially if you are a spellcaster too.
Plus, this would increase the wisdom score to 14, which technically isn't bad, although a bit below the expected value of a cleric at higher levels.

Citan
2018-03-13, 09:51 AM
Setting aside the obvious or less obvious issues, if you can afford it, you should spend another ASI for Resilient (Wisdom), because it hurts quite a bit when the rogue fails the wisdom saves. Especially if you are a spellcaster too.
Plus, this would increase the wisdom score to 14, which technically isn't bad, although a bit below the expected value of a cleric at higher levels.
I didn't talk about Resilient Wisdom on purpose, because I expected OP to continue Rogue most of his/her career, meaning he would get WIS proficiency anyways, albeit later. ;)

Arkhios
2018-03-13, 09:53 AM
I didn't talk about Resilient Wisdom on purpose, because I expected OP to continue Rogue most of his/her career, meaning he would get WIS proficiency anyways, albeit later. ;)

Ah, right, I forgot Slippery Mind. My bad. :smallredface:

Theodoxus
2018-03-13, 09:55 AM
Why put off until 15th what you can get at 4th?

Citan
2018-03-13, 01:41 PM
Why put off until 15th what you can get at 4th?
Well, in spite of the sarcastic tone this is actually a worthy question.

If you don't have any idea how high you will level before your character stops activity one way or another...
It may better actually to take a feature which provides a good insurance that 'you' will live long enough to regret it in the first place... XD

Matter of taste and optimism I'd say. :smallwink: