PDA

View Full Version : Optimization ST Ranger how to dplit between DE and WI

ZorroGames
2018-03-11, 09:52 AM
I am working with a friend for his ST based Ranger.

There're nine build points left to be split between DE and WI. All other points are already assigned. His character, his design.

Should those points be split (5) 13 DE and (4) 12 WI, the reverse, or some other combination?

The player plans to use non-concentration spells as much as possible “if/as necessary” and is leaving missile combat to the “if I cannot close” category. Basically a LOTR book Aragorn figure as I understand the design.

No redesigns please. this is what the player wants - a melee focused ST ranger. The only question left is how to split WI and DE.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Diebo
2018-03-11, 10:07 AM
Personally, I like picking up Heavy Armor Master. It adds +1 STR and heavy armor proficiency. Takes a 15 or 17 STR up to 16 or 18.

With that, you don't really need a high Dex. 10 or even 8 would work. And with heavy armor, you have the AC to afford to use a two-handed weapon.

Barring heavy armor proficiency, they will probably get more use out of 14 Dexterity than Wisdom. So either start 13 and plan on a feat or score to boost it one, go with 14 if possible, or just stick with 12.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-11, 10:25 AM
depends on what he plans for feats and such and what his other stats are. Give us some more info. In most cases i'd recommend a 14 dex, so if he is planning to get a +1 feat or split an asi to round out some things to even 13 should go into Dex. Wisdom is fine at 12 unless he's using alot of DC spells, in which case refer back to getting +1 feats or splitting ASIs and put 13 in wisdom.

EvilAnagram
2018-03-11, 10:36 AM
With a STRanger, you need a maximum of 14 in Dex to get your AC up, unless you end up taking Medium Armor Master.

Getting Wisdom higher is always great, as even melee rangers use spells like Ensnaring Strike.

ZorroGames
2018-03-14, 08:45 PM
depends on what he plans for feats and such and what his other stats are. Give us some more info. In most cases i'd recommend a 14 dex, so if he is planning to get a +1 feat or split an asi to round out some things to even 13 should go into Dex. Wisdom is fine at 12 unless he's using alot of DC spells, in which case refer back to getting +1 feats or splitting ASIs and put 13 in wisdom.

At this point he has not decided on 👣 feats, just slaying monsters. 😉

strangebloke
2018-03-15, 03:56 PM
What's his starting level? Is there another odd stat?

If he's starting from level 1 I'd go 14 DEX, 10 WIS. It's less efficient but +1 AC can be huge for the first few levels, and saving-throw based spells suck anyway until high levels. The skill boost is really marginal.

If he's going to be starting at seven or so, yeah, start at 13 DEX and 12 WIS and bump it up later.

Citan
2018-03-15, 04:47 PM
I am working with a friend for his ST based Ranger.

There're nine build points left to be split between DE and WI. All other points are already assigned. His character, his design.

Should those points be split (5) 13 DE and (4) 12 WI, the reverse, or some other combination?

The player plans to use non-concentration spells as much as possible “if/as necessary” and is leaving missile combat to the “if I cannot close” category. Basically a LOTR book Aragorn figure as I understand the design.

No redesigns please. this is what the player wants - a melee focused ST ranger. The only question left is how to split WI and DE.

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.
Hi!

Well, if he'll mainly use non-concentration spells then he can safely pass the Constitution proficiency (well, "safely" is probably not the best word actually for a melee character though XD).

I'd say go with 14 DEX and 13 WIS, so...
- He gets maximum potential from medium armor.
- He can get either Resilient: Wisdom or Observant. :)

Arkhios
2018-03-16, 03:05 AM
I'd say DEX 12 (4), WIS 13 (5), because both scores has same modifier to AC.

The player doesn't seem to care/know what to do next. He/she might end up taking a "full ASI" in DEX, bringing it to 14 when that happens. Or he/she might prefer improving spellcasting modifier, wisdom saving throw, and getting some additional trick(s) with a half-feat.

Spells without Concentration are usually(?) more affected by the spellcasting modifier, so getting that higher might be a bit better than +1 in AC, Initiative, saving throw, and some other skills, considering bounded accuracy.

Citan
2018-03-16, 05:11 AM
I'd say DEX 12 (4), WIS 13 (5), because both scores has same modifier to AC.

The player doesn't seem to care/know what to do next. He/she might end up taking a "full ASI" in DEX, bringing it to 14 when that happens. Or he/she might prefer improving spellcasting modifier, wisdom saving throw, and getting some additional trick(s) with a half-feat.

Spells without Concentration are usually(?) more affected by the spellcasting modifier, so getting that higher might be a bit better than only a +1 in AC, considering bounded accuracy.
Oooops...

You're very right, didn't see it was 12 & 13 and not 13 & 14.
Then I'll support this suggestion instead of mine which was critically flawed because based on false input. ^^