PDA

View Full Version : Clothes You Find Attractive

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 07:02 PM
This is breaking off from the Relationship Woes and Advice thread.

Okay, the basic point of this thread is quite obvious. From either gender to either gender, what clothes do you think look good? I mean, there's obviously, "none", there's "skimpy", yes, very obvious. The wit it must take to come up with such answers is phenomenal. :smallannoyed:

Now, I don't mean that everything has to be unconventional. But let's try and keep it within the realms of clothing. Like a 1.5th layer minimum here. We don't want to be pushing the rules here.

And, of course, it goes without saying that not everybody can wear said "sexy clothing" and become sexy. Not everything works on everyone. We know, it goes without saying.

Last thing: mention what gender you mean, please. I don't think that bikinis work as well on men as they do on women, to use one example (but I'm biased), so that is an important tidbit.

So, then, I'll list what's been mentioned, and we can be off.

US military uniforms (both)
Scrubs (females, but I'd guess both anyway)
Long coats (both)

Since I mentioned the uniforms one first, I don't have to give another one of my own. Mwaha.

Commence!

North
2007-08-29, 07:07 PM
Theres the obvious choice of birthday suit :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

But I do like the lowcut boy shorts. And jerserys. Hockey football etc I dunno theyre just cute.

Rockphed
2007-08-29, 07:20 PM
I find "swishy" Skirts very attractive on women. The kind where if they spin, the hem of the skirt moves up.

Also, the Sari is very attractive making. I guess it helps that most Indian women are beautiful to begin with, but it really does make them look good.

PhoeKun
2007-08-29, 07:20 PM
Theres the obvious choice of birthday suit :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Actually, not so much. I can't speak for anyone else, but I find people sexier with at least some clothing on as opposed to nothing. I think its a matter of how they wear something, not how little they have on.

Logic
2007-08-29, 07:26 PM
I find small framed glasses attractive on most women.

Zuzu
2007-08-29, 07:28 PM
Give me a boy in a dress shirt with jeans any day. Following that... uniforms :P Military, police, etc. And, of course, a suit on - well either gender really - when they look comfortable in it. When people are squirming and you can tell they would rather change into jeans it kinda looses the effect. With girls I love long jackets, vests, just classical type things I suppose. And the swishy skirts are fun - I have one and don't wear it too often but it's always a good day when I do lol.

EmeraldRose
2007-08-29, 07:29 PM
A nice tailored suit looks good on most men, and most women for that matter. As long as the color is good, and the fit is flattering...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-08-29, 07:39 PM
For some reason I've always had a thing for jean skirts and greek sandals. Actually, the whole woman's 'peasant' look I've always really liked.

And yeah, have to agree with the one that mentioned saris.

Other than that... s'all good.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-29, 07:41 PM
Torn jeans or a long gypsy-ish skirt on girls. Just something about the whole counter-culture aesthetic is incredibly attractive. Hippie, punk, goth, grunge and indie I all really like on a girl. Better yet, when there's a bohemian combination of all of the above styles unique to the girl in question, that's just plain hot.

Jack Squat
2007-08-29, 07:48 PM
If it looks good on them. I don't care if you have a fully tailored suit, or jeans and a t-shirt. If you can pull it off, that's what I think matters.

As a side note, I find casual much easier to pull off myself, as I really can't do much with my hair, yet refuse to cut it short. So if I can wear a baseball cap, I'm good.

SDF
2007-08-29, 07:57 PM
Well I'm always down for the indie look, but skirts are awesome... casual anything really. Hate baggy clothes though, bleh. I think the mall goth look, looks ridiculous. Oh, and wearing clothes that fit is the best. >_<

FdL
2007-08-29, 08:07 PM
I like stockings (pantyhose or whatever they are called, I like both variations). I really like the "skirt with stockings" look that I'm seeing around here this winter. Skirts tend to vary in thickness, swirlyness, material and length, but I have yet to see a skirt I don't like. And paired with opaque pantyhose I find it to be amazingly sexy. Oh, also with mid-height boots.

I'm speaking of females, mind you.

I tend to enjoy the more feminine clothes in women. In this respect I also appreciate little details like earrings, long hair, wearing makeup and all those little touches of feminity. I like dresses and skirts because they are feminine, and maybe because it's not very common to see, at least until this season where here it's become fashionable (god, I hope it doesn't go away :( )

I discovered I also tend to like any clothes that fit the female figure tightly. It doesn't have to be little or skimpy or revealing, for example I like long sleeve turtleneck shirts. I'm a fan of this "modal" fabric because it's stretchy but soft, really inviting to the touch.

That has to do too with my "fetish" preference for stockings and pantyhose: they are visually interesting to me because I seem to relate it to the tactile experience of the garment. And also visually I like how they are skin-tight and enhance the shape of the legs.
I actually don't like naked legs much in a woman, given the option. But I understand summer :p

I concur with the jean skirt thing. A jean mini-skirt with black stockings is a very cool look on a girl.

Other things are secondary, little details: squarey retro glasses = win. Hats are never seen around here, but they can be cute. Cloth hair bands are cute too.
Dress gloves are awesome but never seen outside weddings and events like those :s

About birthday suits I have to say that I prefer some clothing details that actually enhance the heavenly awesomeness that is the female naked body.

I guess I'm a very visual-oriented person, because I really enjoy these details.

I like uniforms but mostly the "play time" variety (and not military or police).

I agree with ZRS, the counter-culture way of dressing is attractive. It incorporates many of the things I've mentioned, so it's natural that I like it. A sexy goth girl is a nice thing to behold.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-29, 08:12 PM
cross country uniforms on chicks=awesome XD

so do the outfits tennis players wear.

but anyway, getting off the skimpy stuff that is awesome, anytime a chick wears YOUR clothes, it is uberhot.

Zuzu
2007-08-29, 08:19 PM
... anytime a chick wears YOUR clothes, it is uberhot.

Completly agree. I forgot to mention, on girls a male jersey. That's all you need along with whatever's under it but you don't see that.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-08-29, 08:26 PM
Trenchcoats are just totally great and anyone who wears one is awesome, regardless of gender. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm...I'd have to say for females, skirts, glasses, and jeans. (Not all at the same time of course...how would that work? :smallconfused: ) Oh, and bikinis, of course. :smalltongue:

As for guys...jackets. Oh, and glasses. Glasses look good on anyone.

PhoeKun
2007-08-29, 08:36 PM
Completly agree. I forgot to mention, on girls a male jersey. That's all you need along with whatever's under it but you don't see that.

Yes! :smallbiggrin: Also on guys, but they tend to require a little more clothing to make the jersey work.

...I'm starting to wonder if it's possible for me to make any comments at all without bringing both sexes into this. :smallconfused:

Tom_Violence
2007-08-29, 08:37 PM
I've never understood the fascination with uniforms (they generally don't seem very flattering at all), and the trenchcoat idea is definitely a new one to me (but they also have strong connotations associated with them regarding the wearer's general lifestyle).

ForzaFiori
2007-08-29, 08:39 PM
braces (on some girls) and glasses (on some girls) is really hot.

Semidi
2007-08-29, 08:44 PM
Classy gothic and fetish attire. I was going to go into more detail, but I decided to let everyone use their collective imaginations.

Lemur
2007-08-29, 08:49 PM
Pretty much the way Carmen Sandiego dresses. 'Nuff said.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-29, 08:50 PM
you should NOT be allowed to have an eyeore (is that how you spell it?) av.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but jeans pretty much look good on any girl. Spandex DOES NOT!

Zuzu
2007-08-29, 08:50 PM
Yes! :smallbiggrin: Also on guys, but they tend to require a little more clothing to make the jersey work.

...I'm starting to wonder if it's possible for me to make any comments at all without bringing both sexes into this. :smallconfused:

Why would you need to not bring both sexes into it? Let's be honest, both sexes look good when dressed up (or down) as the viewer prefers. Now, some people may not have an appreciation, or the same appreciation, for both. But that doesn't mean that those of us who do appreciate both can't acknowledge it :P I certainly have a list on what I like on males and what I like on females… And some things I like on both.

bugsysservant
2007-08-29, 08:51 PM
Last thing: mention what gender you mean, please. I don't think that bikinis work as well on men as they do on women, to use one example (but I'm biased), so that is an important tidbit.

For me, the peek of fashion will forever be this- http://landark.tripod.com/python/bikini.jpg

Anyway, I find casual, for both sexes, to be attactive. Seasonally this varies from jeans and a t shirt to shorts. Also, for those who can pull it off, under-armor looks great on guys.

I hate the uber baggy ghetto look, faux goth, and a few others.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-29, 08:57 PM
I've never understood the fascination with uniforms (they generally don't seem very flattering at all), and the trenchcoat idea is definitely a new one to me (but they also have strong connotations associated with them regarding the wearer's general lifestyle).

Simple. A uniform (well, a military-style uniform. A striped McDonald's shirt and visor never looked good on anyone) is extraordinarily neat. They can spend hours on those. Neatness projects confidence, especially with those uniforms. And confidence, to many, is very, very attractive.

Wayril
2007-08-29, 09:04 PM
I prefer dressed up. Long tight dresses. (on women, to state the obvious), but the one thing I hate is the fact that most people look more attractive with a hairstyle they did themselves than one they paid a hairdresser for. I can't even count the number of times I see people all dressed up, and think they would look so much better if their hair was how they have it every other day.

PhoeKun
2007-08-29, 09:12 PM
Why would you need to not bring both sexes into it? Let's be honest, both sexes look good when dressed up (or down) as the viewer prefers. Now, some people may not have an appreciation, or the same appreciation, for both. But that doesn't mean that those of us who do appreciate both can't acknowledge it :P I certainly have a list on what I like on males and what I like on females… And some things I like on both.

I don't really need to focus on one or the other, but I don't usually find myself chiming in about both genders at once. Normally, when presented with a conversation about what makes for an attractive girl, I'm perfectly content to discuss the ins and outs of skirts and makeup. So, I'm a bit confused by this sudden need of mine to mention everyone.

But on the subject of clothing that looks good: asymmetry. A coat draped over one shoulder (I sport this look a lot), hair combed or cut more to one side than the other, jewelry without a corresponding piece on the other side of the body... I love it.

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 09:31 PM
Wow, I made a popular topic here. Nice.

I personally find something sexy about a simple, clean t-shirt. As long as it fits reasonably (sleeves no lower than elbows, covers at least down to jeans when relaxed), I like it. Unless it has something on it that would otherwise make me dislike it (Disney-related images, for instance, are a turnoff. To me, anyway). Again, I stress the cleanliness issue. Just because it's a piece of casual wear does not mean you may messy it without it looking bad.

But t-shirts are simple, yet elegant. I wish more girls would wear them rahter than midriffs. Not that midriffs aren't nice on girls with the figure for it, but I like fully covering t-shirts more, for some reason.

Again, I don't really know enough about guys, but I think a clean t-shirt would look just fine in a casual setting. I wear them, after all.

And nobody has mentioned vests. Girls in vests=yay! I need to start wearing vests, actually. I like them.

FdL
2007-08-29, 09:33 PM
I prefer dressed up. Long tight dresses. (on women, to state the obvious), but the one thing I hate is the fact that most people look more attractive with a hairstyle they did themselves than one they paid a hairdresser for. I can't even count the number of times I see people all dressed up, and think they would look so much better if their hair was how they have it every other day.

Not always. I notice that girls who have long hair usually wear it with a tail in the back, it can be a real turn off. Especially if they have nice long hair. Then makes me wonder why they bother having long hair if they are going to have it bunched in the back in a hairstyle that is more practical than aesthetic.

I like a woman with long free, flowing hair.

adanedhel9
2007-08-29, 09:35 PM
Form-fitting tops - t-shirts, polos, button-downs, whatever... but especially light sweaters & turtlenecks. They accent the curves just enough, without covering the form in globs of fabric.

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 09:36 PM
Not always. I notice that girls who have long hair usually wear it with a tail in the back, it can be a real turn off. Especially if they have nice long hair. Then makes me wonder why they bother having long hair if they are going to have it bunched in the back in a hairstyle that is more practical than aesthetic.

I like a woman with long free, flowing hair.

Well, in normal situations, practical is more important than aesthetic. I wear my hair in a ponytail because of that. Even around home, because it facilitates easier earphone use. For events where decoration is important, yes, you're right, but you wear comfortable, enduring clothes more often than fancy ones, don't you?

FdL
2007-08-29, 09:39 PM
Form-fitting tops - t-shirts, polos, button-downs, whatever... but especially light sweaters & turtlenecks. They accent the curves just enough, without covering the form in globs of fabric.

Yes, I agree. A fitting, light, black turtleneck shirt can make any woman look amazing.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-29, 09:43 PM
And nobody has mentioned vests. Girls in vests=yay! I need to start wearing vests, actually. I like them.

Chicks in vest and tie=uber1337hot.

no idea why, but i find it highly attractive.

zeratul
2007-08-29, 09:54 PM
Tranchcoats are great on either gender.

On girls.... Well goth girls blow my mind, other than that, basically what ZRS said.

FdL
2007-08-29, 09:55 PM
Ties...Could work with a nice shirt, but then again in the wrong context would remind me of that Avril chick :S :S :S

Lissou
2007-08-29, 09:58 PM
Intimately, what I find attractive is a T-shirt and boxer shorts (for males) or a buttoned shirt and boxer shorts (for females, borrowed from boyfriend).
Not that i'm attracted to females, but I just think it would be sexy. Or maybe it's an exuse to wear it myself :p

In everyday clothing, I like blue or red buttoned shirts, whith a dark pair of pants, and in more informal gear, T-shirt and jean works well, but here again I prefer a dark red or dark blue for the shirt.
I also think that long sleeves that have been rolled up (well, "pushed up") are very sexy. According to Freud, it's sexual :p

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 09:59 PM
Ties...Could work with a nice shirt, but then again in the wrong context would remind me of that Avril chick :S :S :S

SH! Jibar might be around, and he tends to get very hyper when...she is mentioned. :smallbiggrin:

de-trick
2007-08-29, 10:01 PM
well I like on girls a nice tee like with a saying on it and jeans or a decent length skirts.

I also like the punk and goth stuff but more of the man stream stuff. so not real punk or goth.

myself what I look like is punk rocker thing, baggy pants, some stupid thing on a t-shirt

Serpentine
2007-08-29, 10:02 PM
For me, "interesting" comes first and foremost, always. I can't easily describe what I mean... just a bit different. I love the stylish goth look, on both genders. Pity I don't see it very often. Long coats are awesome, of course. Interesting colour and pattern combinations are great, again on both - I'm liking the stripey socks and the like. Old-style clothes, too, I'm finding great, formal waistcoats and the like. Based on what the bf wears... lessee, my favourite outfits of his include: a silky 70sish-style shirt, top several buttons undone, and flared jeans; black tight-fitting long-sleeved shirt with tight pants; and his waistcoat. Oh, I like classy hats, too. Generally speaking, it seems that guys don't realise just how good they look when they dress up a bit.
With girls, aside from "interesting" and stylish goth, I can only really describe what I don't like. For starters, those dresses with the neckline around the navel. Doesn't look any good, and sooooo uncomfortable. Uggboots anywhere outside of the home is a big no-no. Anything ill-fitting (especially anything that causes muffin-tops. Just because your a bit overweight doesn't mean you can't look good, but wearing too-small pants isn't going to help).
Oh! I thought of something for guys I hate: the "homie-look". Too-big shirts with brands plastered all over them, undies pulled up around the armpits, ridiculously oversized pre-worn jeans dangling around the knees with a shiny-buckled belt clinging futilely, and finally clown-shoes that will come flying off if they ever move faster than a shuffle. Hideous! :smallfurious:

bugsysservant
2007-08-29, 10:02 PM
According to Freud, it's sexual :p

Besides his own cigars, was there anything Freud didn't find sexual? :smalltongue:

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 10:16 PM
Generally speaking, it seems that guys don't realise just how good they look when they dress up a bit.

We really don't. Though I happen to like button-down dress shirts. I'm more than comfortable enough in dress clothes, but it's a good deal of effort towards something we don't understand. Do women like ties because they feel some innate need to strangle men? I just don't get it...

Serpentine
2007-08-29, 10:19 PM
I don't actually particularly like ties. It's more everything else. And "dressing up a bit" doesn't have to mean "formal shirt and tie".

FdL
2007-08-29, 10:20 PM
I've realized I dress awfully. Maybe it's unfair that I like girls who pay attention to detail about those things. But well, in return they get a (reportedly) nice pair of eyes and 100% of pure love ^^

(warning: self esteem levels flailing around unpredictably)

SH! Jibar might be around, and he tends to get very hyper when...she is mentioned. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, I remember. I thought it was Zeratul (sorry man).

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 10:27 PM
I've realized I dress awfully. Maybe it's unfair that I like girls who pay attention to detail about those things.

Maybe it's unfair, but it's not unusual. Most guys are like you.

I say "you" because I actually do primp a little. I may not coordinate my wardrobe or anything, but I try my best to keep neatish and concious of my looks.

Of course, wearing a funny t-shirt seems to attract a lot of attention, so I usually just wear those. Same results, less fuss.

I'm sure you've never had people pawing at you just to read your shirt. If you have, you are one step closer to being as awesome as me. :smallcool:

I suppose part of the secret to sexy clothes is to stand out. A plain white t-shirt and a pair of jeans and sneakers may look fine, but it won't get you attention. Unless you have a cool hat, or something. Did I mention that I find fedoras extremely awesome? On both genders. I will say that I like Viggo Mortenson better in Hidalgo than I did in LotR, for instance. Girls don't wear fedoras enough for me to have a good example there. Which is sad. :smallfrown:

zeratul
2007-08-29, 10:32 PM
Oh, I remember. I thought it was Zeratul (sorry man).

Hehe no. I have what we like to call good taste in women. I don't date posers (:smalltongue: )

FdL
2007-08-29, 10:38 PM
Yeah. I tend to use drab colors in my clothing. Kinda goes with my mood. But I do have some bright colored clothing items which I wear when I feel like it. I'm told that I dress well, but I don't put myself a lot into it.

About attention grabbing shirts, I have a yellow Blues Explosion t-shirt ^^. It's pretty cool, though I'm not a real fan of the band, I exchanged another band related shirt for this one, it was the best at the shop at that time.

I wear t-shirts all the time in summer, it's more relaxed. This winter I wanted to get back to wearing shirts, but I got used to the warmer polo shirts or plain long sleeve shirts.

Heh. Tomorrow I'll wear a nice shirt to work. Don't know if it deserves me, but tomorrow the world gets a sexier me ^^

Hi-five @ Zeratul!!! ^^

Midnight Son
2007-08-29, 10:39 PM
Corsets. They'll get me every time.

Leather is a major turn on for me as well.

Aside from that, I like clothes that expose a bit of midriff(especially if there's a pierced navel involved).

Serpentine
2007-08-29, 10:40 PM
I don't date posers (:smalltongue: )
Or anyone else, for that matter :smallwink: :smalltongue:
I kid, I kid!

Also: fedoras = snazzy hats, which I mentioned.

zeratul
2007-08-29, 10:41 PM
Or anyone else, for that matter :smallwink: :smalltongue:
I kid, I kid!

Also: fedoras = snazzy hats, which I mentioned.

Hey I'm working on that! :smallfrown:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-08-29, 10:44 PM
Well, I can definitely tell you something I find absolutely hideous. Personally, I think the style that's in of striped shirts for men are just awful. I mean, I just don't want to look like a frickin' zebra that's just been through the paint factory.

heretic
2007-08-29, 10:46 PM
Button up shirts on certain women whose anatomy causes the shirt to be quite tight...

Midnight Son
2007-08-29, 10:47 PM
Button up shirts on certain women whose anatomy causes the shirt to be quite tight...
Especially when they only use one button.:smallcool:

Serpentine
2007-08-29, 10:49 PM
I'm surprised and happy at how many of these I fit ^_^

zeratul
2007-08-29, 10:53 PM

True that.:smallamused:

13_CBS
2007-08-29, 10:55 PM
Hmm...as a "typical" guy, I'm not very much into fashion at all. I just throw on a shirt, a pair of pants, sandals, and I'm on my merry way. However, I do have an eye for clothes that I think look great.

First off: straw hats. Asian ones, at that, kinda like this: http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/pict/39465663308080_2.jpg
That, combined with the Asian equivalent of a trench coat, is the ultimate image of coolness (oh, and a ninja-like face mask to boot). This actually is the appearance of a fictional character I had in mind, who to me is the very image of coolness.

Then there's trench coats. Preferably black (although black with bits of blue here and there's even better). Nothing too "emo" or thug like, but something that gives one an air of mysteriousness. Duster coats work well too.

On guys...I don't have too much of an opinion, though for the most part I think a button down collared long sleeved shirt + khakis look cool. My favorit outfit would probably be the one I wore to prom (no, I'm not a Narcissist :smallyuk: ). It was fairly simply: Black overcoat, black long sleeved collared button down shirt, and black slacks with a silver tie. Damn, I felt cool that night.

On girls...Ok, I'll admit it. Skimpy clothing = hot. But to move away from such things, I otherwise think girls in a regular t-shirt (tight or not) plus long blue jeans look very cute, especially if they wear thin, round framed glasses to boot. Oh, and a pony tail, but that's going into hair. Otherwise, a tasteful tanktop looks great, although a blouse (nothing too frilly) and a long, billowing skirt look very elegant. Check out Penelope from Questionable Content to get a general idea of what I'm talking about.

In a fight...Alright, this is less fashion in terms of appearance and more fashion in terms of utility. A nice maille shirt, gambeson underneath, sturdy leather leggins for my legs and a Spangenhelm with a maille face guard. Can't speak much from experience, though...

For formal wear on guys...eh, nothing much to say here. Classical over coat, collared shirt, slacks, and formal shoes.

For formal wear on girls...not much of an opinion again, but this time because I think girls tend to look very nice anyway in dresses. Exceptions: tube tops. I could never like tube tops for some reason. I just hate them. :smallmad:

FdL
2007-08-29, 10:58 PM
Aside from that, I like clothes that expose a bit of midriff(especially if there's a pierced navel involved).

Agreed. Pierced navels are instant win. They make summer good.
On piercings, though...hmmm, how to say it...They make cute girls cuter but I see a lot of ugly, plain girls with them and the concept is kinda lost...dunno what to think except eww. They make ugly girls uglier.

Agreed. A nice buttoned white shirt is power incarnate. You know, when it makes those "tightness lines" right there in the middle. Excellent.

I'm surprised and happy at how many of these I fit ^_^

Oh yeah ;)

Also, I'm surprised and confused at how many of these I agree with. I mean, come on... :p

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-29, 10:59 PM

See...in contrast, there's nothing about that I find attractive. A loose top wins, for me. Although a simple form-fitting black sweater can be very nice...

Brickwall
2007-08-29, 11:05 PM

Right because nothing is more attractive than an outfit that practically reads "whore" across the chest. :smallyuk:

And that goes for anything else Daisy Duke or whatever her actress's name is wears. Daisy Dukes, etc. You might as well wear this kind of makeup (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=944) if you're going to dress like that. :smallannoyed:

Amotis
2007-08-30, 12:41 AM
Oooh ooh, I like this topic.

I generally like the indie/small bits of punk look in both sexes. But with females I tend to like the more modern-y latino look. The layered affect, the natural colors, subtle frills, the earrings, etc etc. Sundresses (firefox says this isn't a word...it suggests "undress." Firefox is a pervert.) are kinda nice all around. I like guys pretty simple. Less theme-y looks and more just a nice completion, nothing too noticeable or complicated. I tend to stray away from the standards of college wear (aka bros). Nice coats and jackets are very nice too. Adds a sophistication that I like. Glasses (indie ones on females, simple ones on males) and short hair top off the both category.

I also have a strange attraction to girls wearing baggy long sweaters. :smallconfused: And guys with ear piercings is just hott.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 12:50 AM
And guys with ear piercings is just hott.
My dad has a pierced ear... >.> Also he used to ride a motorbike 'til he couldn't afford to keep it. And he's a theatery type and a social butterfly... No wonder, really, that he's had more than 7 girlfriends in 14 years :smalleek:

zeratul
2007-08-30, 12:57 AM
I just want to say something about nose peircings. I know they're popular, and they look good on most people, but I do not like them.

Amotis
2007-08-30, 01:05 AM
Oh, and I echo Fdl's mention of leg thingies. My friend's sister has a very good kinda stripped red and black blouse/mini skirt/leg warmers/stockings/etc fashion sense. Oh, and she wears dress gloves. :smalltongue: I don't know what to call it...umm counter culture-ish punk-ish retro-ish Ska era-ish, but it's attractive and quite cool considering her mexican-ish upbringing and the whiteness that eludes from that part of the city. Using the sense of attractive = noticeable and eye catching, not attraction = sexual...because that would be weird considering she's 3 years my junior and my ex-girlfriend's sister. But I'm sure there's an anime about that.

Vonriel
2007-08-30, 01:05 AM
On girls, loose-fitting clothing is about the only style I find attractive. I'm not talking baggy enough to host a three-ring circus, just loose. T-shirt and jeans is all it takes. Skin-hugging clothing has never held my interest, and the more parts of clothing you take away, the less I see you and the more I see the sex object you're trying to be, which is definitely something I've never cared for. Long skirts get an honorable mention, because they can look really, really good. However, I definitely don't like short skirts or miniskirts.

Formal wear always looks nice, especially with a small piece of jewelry or two to accent it properly. I don't think someone trying to wear their weight in precious stones looks good at all.

As for guys, well, the guideline is surprisingly close to that for the girls. Yes, I'm sure you worked very hard to get the muscles you have, but I don't need to see them through your shirt. And wear normal jeans, please.

Remember folks, clothing is there to cover you up, not to show off everything as best as possible.

Jibar
2007-08-30, 01:29 AM
On the ladies, the Cat-Muffin much enjoys a gothic dress sense, but not a total overload.
The Cat-Muffin also enjoys the female emos choice of clothing, and the female skaters.
On the mens... give them a sexy beard, and the Cat-Muffin is happy!

Edit: Of course, after reading through the thread, I can think of the perfect look. (http://ronim.deviantart.com/art/avril-lavigne-17591164)
:yuk: to Bricky, F shizzle DL, and Zert.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 01:41 AM
Hrm. I really need to get myself a nice corset... Wait, I have my measurements now, and eBay! Yay!

Damage Control
2007-08-30, 01:58 AM
On guys, I really like shorts. Not short shorts, just normal length, or even short pants-ish. I'm a fan of a little bit of leg hair. I'm a big fan of turtlenecks, long-sleeved shirts, and ties. Hats are nice if they're nice hats. I'm not a big fan of baseball caps, and I love love love fedoras. I'm a sucker for a nice jacket. A guy can look really nice in dressier clothes sometimes, but some people just look weird in dress clothes. Like me. :D

I'm not attracted to girls, but I do like it when girls wear pretty dresses. Not so much the slim, sleek, James Bond's love interest/potential murderer dresses, just pretty is nice. Skirts with nice designs are pretty too. African influences come to mind.

Castaras
2007-08-30, 04:42 AM
Jeans and T-shirt on either gender, for me.

Haven't really thought of clothes that are attractive...I find faces much more attractive really...

ForzaFiori
2007-08-30, 05:30 AM
On the ladies, the Cat-Muffin much enjoys a gothic dress sense, but not a total overload.
The Cat-Muffin also enjoys the female emos choice of clothing, and the female skaters.
On the mens... give them a sexy beard, and the Cat-Muffin is happy!

Edit: Of course, after reading through the thread, I can think of the perfect look. (http://ronim.deviantart.com/art/avril-lavigne-17591164)

actually, when she actually tried to be punk, Avril had some excellent outfits.

But those outfits on other people would be even better.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-08-30, 05:42 AM
My tastes are pretty simple.

I like people to wear a short sleeve shirt over a long-sleeve one, generally with dark, although not too dark, colours.

Combine with jeans, fairly cheap, honest shoes/boots and small amounts of jewelry.

Although, those that can pull the punk look make it look incredible.

Lucky
2007-08-30, 05:47 AM
Stop it. It's not funny anymore. :smallmad:

:smalltongue:

Altharis
2007-08-30, 06:04 AM
My tastes are pretty simple.

I like people to wear a short sleeve shirt over a long-sleeve one, generally with dark, although not too dark, colours.

Combine with jeans, fairly cheap, honest shoes/boots and small amounts of jewelry.

Although, those that can pull the punk look make it look incredible.

Ha! And people say that I am crazy for wearing a short sleeve over a long sleeve in boiling weather! Haha! There's proof that I am fashionistic! Yes!

Lucky
2007-08-30, 06:10 AM
Haha! There's proof that I am fashionistic! Yes!Or stupid, but I suppose it's up for debate.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 06:16 AM
I'm still working on getting my style the way I want it, and part of it's layering up like that...

Altharis
2007-08-30, 06:17 AM
I'm still working on getting my style the way I want it, and part of it's layering up like that...

Same. I have had waaaay too many clothing styles. I want my own, and so far it's saying "layers". Nice to see a kindred soul.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 06:20 AM
Another part is buying cool stockings and the acquiring of purple 'roo-skin boots... Still "same"? :smallamused: :smalltongue:

Shadow of the Sun
2007-08-30, 06:22 AM
PURPLE!

*huggles purple boots*

Altharis
2007-08-30, 06:24 AM
Another part is buying cool stockings and the acquiring of purple 'roo-skin boots... Still "same"? :smallamused: :smalltongue:

err...no. But there is something to be said for a good pair of stockings/leggings (I'm bad with differences) on a woman.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 06:43 AM
I'm working on it. ^_^

Uh... >stands very still as boots are behuggled. Hopes he doesn't notice the purple pants<

Shadow of the Sun
2007-08-30, 06:45 AM
*notices, but doesn't hug them*

Serp, I may be unhealthily obsessed with purple, but I'm not a creep. Well, I try not to be...

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 06:46 AM
They are cool pants though...

Alarra
2007-08-30, 06:46 AM
I've always been a fan of the layered look. T-shirts with button up shirts over them. T-shirts over long sleeved shirts. Hawaiian shirts in general. Sweaters or jackets, etc.

And actually, I wear a lot of layers myself....well....when it isn't a sauna outside, and actually, sometimes even then.

And I love long swishy skirts, on me...on others. They're just cool clothing in general.

Reinboom
2007-08-30, 06:48 AM
On Women (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/waffles_r_us/loli/Aristo1.jpg).
On men (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/waffles_r_us/loli/89.jpg).

Gothic Aristocrat and Gothic Lolita - Interchangeable. - though I can't stand Sweet Lolita or other similar fashions.
:smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 06:56 AM
Beautiful ^_^ Well, more the aristocratic than the lolita, for me, I think. But that's along the lines of what I meant by "stylish goth".

Thanatos 51-50
2007-08-30, 08:17 AM
On Females:
BDUs/ACUs/Fatigues, what ever you wanna call 'im.
Fedoras = win.
Corsets
Baggy Cargo Pockets
Dark Colors (Black) occasionaly splashed with soething brighter (Silver/Red/Purple). In an intereseting pattern.
Long ponytails.
A slight "grunge" tilt.

~Not all at once, mind you - that conglameration would just be off.

On males:
Well, not much really -
I tend to wear simple (black) T-shirts and (black) jeans, myself.
I personally think a little bit of a bleach splash looks kinda cool, but maybe that goes with the grunge a bit.

Barring that, something taht looks like working blues or class "b"s.

Jack Squat
2007-08-30, 08:22 AM
...Hawaiian shirts in general...

yay, I'm fashionable!:smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-30, 08:44 AM
Hawaiian shirts in general.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i188/Archonic_NRG/opxfidisa.jpg

heh :smallamused:

Rykaj
2007-08-30, 09:14 AM
On the exterior, clothes are nr 2 in list of importance. Nr 1 are pretty bright eyes and pretty nose with freckles, but that's a whole different story!

On girls, I really go for the 'cute' look instead of the 'hot' look. A girl-shirt in some nice colors and a baggy pair of pants (not too baggy, just somewhat baggy). Cute works best if you mix in just a hint of hot and just a hint of what you guys call counter-culture. Never mix in the colors black, purple or turquoise, they work on no one. Gothic might work maybe, but I have yet to find the first pretty goth girl (I don't like pasty skin, eww, go cough on someone else you ill person!).

I also like the somewhat-sporty look. Like girls who are returning from hockey training. For some reason I find a really good pair of sweatpants beautiful.

Oh and:
Button-up shirts: Yes! (but Brickwall, how is this whorish? :S)
Skirts: Yes! Well, most of the time, there are some pretty dull examples
Uniform: No! Well, so far I haven't found a good uniform yet.

On guys I'm not sure what works best. Cause everyone looks nice in something else. Just make sure you don't wear your hat to the bar/discotheque whatever, that's just ridiculous. Same goes for women who bring their purses to that location.

Oh and that reminds me! My worst fashion pet-peeve: Women who look pretty, and they whip out their coat. Some ugly bloated flap of mismatching colored fabric with a zipper. For heaven's sake, please wear a fashionable coat. Invest some in it even! It's the piece of clothing that gets seen the most of all your wardrobe, so please buy a good one.

Wow this got pretty rant-ish, I've never done that before! You're experiencing a first! :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 09:22 AM
pretty bright eyes
For some reason I kept reading that as "bright pink eyes". Not so attractive.

Oh and that reminds me! My worst fashion pet-peeve: Women who look pretty, and they whip out their coat. Some ugly bloated flap of mismatching colored fabric with a zipper. For heaven's sake, please wear a fashionable coat. Invest some in it even! It's the piece of clothing that gets seen the most of all your wardrobe, so please buy a good one.
I've been building up a bit of a collection over the years (soooo many of them /sarcasm), and I've also acquired a small slice of my sister's (she owns, quite literally, a room-full of clothes), so I'm pretty set in that department.

Brickwall
2007-08-30, 09:42 AM
Button-up shirts: Yes! (but Brickwall, how is this whorish? :S)

Clearly you misread. I was not referring to button-shirts period (I wear them, after all, and I have never seen myself as "skanky"), but rather to the style of wearing them in which they have but one button clasped and show everything else. Both unattractive AND overdone. :smallyuk:

Reinboom
2007-08-30, 09:44 AM
For some reason I kept reading that as "bright pink eyes". Not so attractive.

If one was pink and the other a baby blue... that would be quite attractive in my opinion.

Oh, and 'nother gothic aristocrat (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y20/waffles_r_us/loli/Aristo3.jpg) - remove the veil and bow for a great outfit.
I really want to get some of this outfits... my birthday was 4 days ago - anyone wanna gimme some full atalier-pierrot outfits as a late gift? :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 09:49 AM
I'll buy you one if you buy me one :smallwink:

Vampire包子
2007-08-30, 09:53 AM
Dresses. On females, naturally.

I won't ask for high heels, I'm not a sadist. Sandals is nice.

Most other outfits depend on the girl.

Rykaj
2007-08-30, 10:14 AM
Clearly you misread. I was not referring to button-shirts period (I wear them, after all, and I have never seen myself as "skanky"), but rather to the style of wearing them in which they have but one button clasped and show everything else. Both unattractive AND overdone.

Whoops, well excuse me then, and I'd like to add that you are totally right. I apparently thought you were under the impression that all button-up shirts on women are skanky. Single button button-up shirts are just the big no-no.

And "Pink Eye", isn't that a disease? Or was that just in South Park?

And to steer it back on topic! Yes sandals are good, but even better than sandals are flip-flops. Mmm flip-flops

Brickwall
2007-08-30, 10:18 AM
And "Pink Eye", isn't that a disease? Or was that just in South Park?

...do you ever go outside? :smalleek:

Pinkeye is a fairly common disease. In school, it usually had an outbreak among the students almost once a year. Adults get it too. Seriously, how have you not encountered it?

However, it should be noted that albino humans have pink eyes. It's a rare eye pigmentation, but it exists.

Rykaj
2007-08-30, 10:21 AM
Alright, looked it up on wikipedia, I just didn't know the term for it in Dutch. I've never encountered it though. Well unless you call people who have hay fever pink eye sufferers.

Brickwall
2007-08-30, 10:22 AM
Ah, so it's not a common disease over there? You're lucky. I hear it's very annoying.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 10:24 AM
However, it should be noted that albino humans have pink eyes. It's a rare eye pigmentation, but it exists.
I believe what you're looking for there is "lack of eye pigmentation". And isn't "pink-eye" another name for conjunctivitis?

Likes... likes... It's not clothes, but I believe I've made my preference for longish hair pretty clear. I must admit, I kinda like emo-hair :smallredface:

Castaras
2007-08-30, 10:40 AM
Likes... likes... It's not clothes, but I believe I've made my preference for longish hair pretty clear. I must admit, I kinda like emo-hair :smallredface:

Yeah, boys with long hair are cute.

Brickwall
2007-08-30, 11:02 AM

Just a clarification for the crowd: does emo-hair mean black/dark hair, straight hair, or just long hair?

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-30, 11:12 AM
As long as some of us are going with visual examples:

This (http://www.ruralrooster.com/clothing/images/big/girls-punk-girl.jpg) or this (drawing) (http://www.foroswebgratis.com/imagenes_foros/2/1/8/3/2/397229emo_girl_2_.jpg) or even this (http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/10/46/23344610.jpg).

Oh, yeah. And most definitely this. (http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs13/f/2007/049/4/f/Black_and_Light_by_EgoSlayer.jpg) :smallamused: I love that shirt. :smallcool:

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 11:38 AM
Just a clarification for the crowd: does emo-hair mean black/dark hair, straight hair, or just long hair?
Along (http://wetmen.provocateuse.com/images/photos/brian_molko_02.jpg)these (http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~saltine/johnny_depp_01.jpg)lines. Looking at the pictures I've found, though, not the really emo stuff, just straight black hair, about between the ear and the jaw, that tends to fall in the face.

On a side note, look what I found here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400953&in_page_id=1770): "...a much more dangerous teenage cult... The Emos - short for Emotional - regard themselves as a cool, young sub-set of the Goths (Ha!)...There is also a deadly glamour about the Goths. The word femme-fatale is Goth based...Who are the male pin-ups for young girls? Johnny Depp (oh noes!) and the comedian Russell Brand, who is about 90 per cent Goth. Lord Byron, of course, was the greatest Goth of all time...One of the most annoying characteristics of teenagers is their refusal to open their curtains. Their world is dark and airless." :smallsigh:

Jibar
2007-08-30, 11:46 AM
Yeah, boys with long hair are cute.

...yay.
Grow hair grow dammit.
:smallredface:

Reinboom
2007-08-30, 11:48 AM
Along (http://wetmen.provocateuse.com/images/photos/brian_molko_02.jpg)these (http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~saltine/johnny_depp_01.jpg)lines. Looking at the pictures I've found, though, not the really emo stuff, just straight black hair, about between the ear and the jaw, that tends to fall in the face.

Your first link doesn't work, but for the one on depp.. EW. That has to be the worst image I have ever seen of depp - and it's insulting for me to say EW to an actor I adore oh so much but... just... EWWWWW.
And I thought that was punk, now it's emo? :smallconfused:

On a side note, look what I found here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=400953&in_page_id=1770): "...a much more dangerous teenage cult... The Emos - short for Emotional - regard themselves as a cool, young sub-set of the Goths (Ha!)...There is also a deadly glamour about the Goths. The word femme-fatale is Goth based...Who are the male pin-ups for young girls? Johnny Depp (oh noes!) and the comedian Russell Brand, who is about 90 per cent Goth. Lord Byron, of course, was the greatest Goth of all time...One of the most annoying characteristics of teenagers is their refusal to open their curtains. Their world is dark and airless." :smallsigh:

I dislike outrageous stretched media. They make stereotypes.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 12:03 PM
Your first link doesn't work, but for the one on depp.. EW. That has to be the worst image I have ever seen of depp - and it's insulting for me to say EW to an actor I adore oh so much but... just... EWWWWW.
And I thought that was punk, now it's emo? :smallconfused:
I had a lot of trouble finding anything even close to what I like :smallfrown: And ionno, I can never keep up with all these damnable subcultures.

Jibar
2007-08-30, 12:09 PM
I dislike outrageous stretched media. They make stereotypes.

Tch, well duh.
Look at the source.
The Daily Mail is England's non stop voice of the upper class and English Nationalists.

Trust me, they did noooo research towards that article.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-30, 12:14 PM
Well, duh. They said that Byron was goth. *giggles*

Telonius
2007-08-30, 12:29 PM
Male here. Clothes I find attractive on women...

In general, brightly-colored, flowing skirts. Traditional southeast Asian clothes. Anything black.

Cut and color depend completely on the body they're covering. Color ought to be paired to skin tone. Cut depends on bust size and shape. There are women who look wonderful in v-necks, a-lines, or turtlenecks; there are women who look horrible in them. Women (and men) should learn which cuts and colors look good on them, and play to their strengths.

Clothes I find unattractive on women:

Plaid skirts. I am not in Catholic grade school anymore, and did not like many of the girls there when I was. Anti-sexy.

Cheerleader outfits. See above.

Crocs. I don't care how comfortable they are, these shoes are ugly.

Uniforms. Generally don't look good on women. (Notable exception: stewardesses at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport. Wow. Seeing them was almost enough to make me change citizenship.)

adanedhel9
2007-08-30, 12:39 PM
Just reminded of this one: overalls. They draw my eyes every time.

Mad Scientist
2007-08-30, 01:56 PM
I have to say that I love guys in cargo shorts, but not the baggy ones. They look way cuter when they are worn at your waist not sagged down so your underwear is hanging out.
I also like the slightly scruffy "I didn't shave this morning" look, but ONLY if it's obvious that you did in fact shower, comb your hair, and put on deoderant. That way the stubble is a choice and not an accident of sleeping in.

Rykaj
2007-08-30, 02:38 PM

This (the first one)

Yeah I could definately go for that look, just not with the sadfaced sack of bones in it. Put on some pounds, wear a smile, and try again :smalltongue:

Do wear that shirt though, nice

elliott20
2007-08-30, 02:50 PM
I would hate to think most of my attractiveness stems from my clothes and my hair. (what with me shaving my head and all)

ForzaFiori
2007-08-30, 03:21 PM
straight black hair, about between the ear and the jaw, that tends to fall in the face.

score.

except...does really dark brown work?

gojira
2007-08-30, 03:36 PM
I'm (straight) a woman.

I like kilts on men, quite a bit.

I don't like uniforms in general, some men look good in tuxes but I don't think they're attractive on women.

I like long hair. Anything above the shoulders doesn't do it for me.

Cleanliness is more important than any of the above, though.

Tom_Violence
2007-08-30, 04:06 PM
Clearly you misread. I was not referring to button-shirts period (I wear them, after all, and I have never seen myself as "skanky"), but rather to the style of wearing them in which they have but one button clasped and show everything else. Both unattractive AND overdone. :smallyuk:

I only half agree. I think it depends greatly on the woman and the context. Some women do look like they're just trying too hard, and that's never good, but I've seen many that can pull it off to tremendous effect. Also, seeing someone dressed like that in public is likely to leave a bad taste in the mouth, but if I'm in the middle of a fun night out then it probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Not saying that you are, but it strikes me as a bit prudish think that women can't show a fair amount of skin.

This (http://www.ruralrooster.com/clothing/images/big/girls-punk-girl.jpg)

A bit cliche, isn't it? Personally, I'm more attracted to people that look like they weren't dressed by members of the NME staff. :smallamused:

elliott20
2007-08-30, 04:11 PM
meh, I personally find the whole Goth/Emo look to be pretty unattractive anyway.

Yeril
2007-08-30, 05:12 PM
I prefer girls in a +3 fullplate, although if they have the charisma to pull it off a +2 Mithral Chain shirt is very appealing :smallamused:

But then again that Half-elf wearing the Robe of the Archmagi realy made my head turn :smallwink:

Brickwall
2007-08-30, 05:21 PM
Not saying that you are, but it strikes me as a bit prudish think that women can't show a fair amount of skin.

I've gone to the beach, you know. Skin is fine, but the manner in which it's shown as well as the context are both quite important. And that manner is one I do not like at all. :smallannoyed:

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-30, 05:24 PM
A bit cliche, isn't it? Personally, I'm more attracted to people that look like they weren't dressed by members of the NME staff. :smallamused:

It's just an example. And it's all just taste, really. Most of the girls at my university favour the Abercrombie & Fitch look (even though all the clothes come from H&M), which does absolutely nothing for me, so I tend toward the opposite.

Orzel
2007-08-30, 05:35 PM
Tight denim pants or skirt of women make me drool.
Pink, lime green, or white skirts get me too.

Hair wrapped up in a cloth 'cause "you're going to the hair dresser tomorrow" = very sexy!

I love pony tails on girls.

dr.cello
2007-08-30, 05:56 PM
Emo girls are my hamartia. There is something about the aesthetic of jeans, an ironic t-shirt, possibly a black zip-up hoodie and some Converse all-stars that is very appealing to me. The hoodie can usually be switched out for another jacket, and a tank top of some sort in summer months is fine, if tasteful.

I very much dislike when girls look like they're trying to dress like a whore. As Brickwall said, there's a context in which showing skin is appropriate--no problem with a bikini on the beach. But it's tacky when you're in a fully clothed situation. (I also find guys going shirtless or wearing tight muscle shirts to be tacky.)

There are some other looks which are also very attractive. Usually some variation on the theme of indie (which is a broad term when you think about it), occasionally with some goth or punk thrown in (but not ridiculous).

Deesix
2007-08-30, 05:59 PM
Glasses. Especially excessively nerdy/emo glasses are extremely attractive to me. Conservative clothing is also better than the type that shows off.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-08-30, 06:29 PM
If she's wearing an article of clothing that is mine, she becomes twice as attractive. I don't really know why, but once I see a girl put on my jacket/sweatshirt, she instantly becomes attractive to me.

I also find the thick black glasses on a girl very attractive.

evisiron
2007-08-30, 06:46 PM
Anything black!

FdL
2007-08-30, 07:08 PM
I generally like the indie/small bits of punk look in both sexes. But with females I tend to like the more modern-y latino look. The layered affect, the natural colors, subtle frills, the earrings, etc etc.

Layered? Layers are good, but what do you have in mind?

Also, thanks for introducing the term "indie glasses". I think this applies to the ones HellPuppi wears. If so, = neat.

I also have a strange attraction to girls wearing baggy long sweaters. :smallconfused:

Hmmm...I can't picture this quite right. Baggy sweater down to below her hips, miniskirt length maybe? I can dig this if we add some leggings to the mix and a sassy 'tude to match it all :)

Oh, and I echo Fdl's mention of leg thingies.

Yay! Hi-five! :smallcool:

My friend's sister has a very good kinda stripped red and black blouse/mini skirt/leg warmers/stockings/etc fashion sense. Oh, and she wears dress gloves. :smalltongue:

Leg warmers, that's cool too. I don't know what are they called, I'm referring to the woolen winter variety, not the 80's gym ones. Though probably the same. Both rule, only I'm not too fond of 80's gym look, spandex and all (I'm thinking if I'm coherent with this I said)

Dress gloves!!! :o I think I'm in love.

I don't know what to call it...

I'd call it "fab" :smallcool:

umm counter culture-ish punk-ish retro-ish Ska era-ish, but it's attractive and quite cool considering her mexican-ish upbringing and the whiteness that eludes from that part of the city. Using the sense of attractive = noticeable and eye catching, not attraction = sexual...because that would be weird considering she's 3 years my junior and my ex-girlfriend's sister. But I'm sure there's an anime about that.

Yeah, actually I've seen it ^^ It's the one where the shy guy falls in love with her and gets into all kinds of sexual situations by accident, while the chick keeps punching him and making him fly into the sky :p

Next post when I'm feeling less lazy I'm going to show some pics to illustrate my tastes.

You know you got me there, I thought this was going to be of her dressed in a more sexy way :p
See, I'm going to use that as a particular example of a way of dressing I don't like much (leaving aside the Avrilness of it :p)

Also, "shizzle"? :S What are we, on a G-vibe or sumthin'? :smallbiggrin:

Ha! And people say that I am crazy for wearing a short sleeve over a long sleeve in boiling weather! Haha! There's proof that I am fashionistic! Yes!

Hey, I've been thinking of giving this a try, in cold weather :p What's the rule about colors, does the long sleeve has to be a darker color or something?

Grrñaaawwwrrrr!!!! ;) (a difficult onomatopeia to write down but you get the idea)

Also, you're making purple fashionable worldwide by yourself. You're that cool ;)

Ditto. I didn't agree with Brick's dissing of breast-showing. I mean, it's not bad in itself, it depends on when it's used and especially what the person is like. I'm also not against girls dressing "as whores". Because they aren't, and it's an awful stereotype to attach to a woman that's in control of her sexuality and dressing sexy.

Hahahaha!!! :smallbiggrin: Good one!!! ^^
Plus, they'd probably criticise you themselves in the next issue...:smallamused:

She's pretty cool though. A little overdone for me, and I actually liked the cartoon chick better (?).

Ok, some examples:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Fdruid/grls/1175018425_f.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Fdruid/grls/1138794275_f.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Fdruid/grls/1149174982_f.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Fdruid/grls/1173623079_f.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o80/Fdruid/grls/1137668691_f.jpg

Ok, it's hard to find pics, but all of these would get my attention if I saw them on the streets.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 11:07 PM
score.

except...does really dark brown work?
That was just the ideal, so probably.

Fdl: Nice look into "How You See the World", there :smallamused: :smallwink:

FdL
2007-08-30, 11:11 PM
Fdl: Nice look into "How You See the World", there :smallamused: :smallwink:

Nah, it's just the kind of pics I found :smallsmile: :smallredface: I do like girls with heads, believe me ^^

Though to be honest they do resemble some real-life moments of "Felipe-cam" :p

Brickwall
2007-08-30, 11:19 PM
Hey, it is a thread about clothes...and that's where they are.

Wear more hats, and we'll look at those. :smallamused:

Seriously, hats are awesome.

Serpentine
2007-08-30, 11:33 PM
Hats don't suit me. Believe me, I've tried about every one I come across. It makes me sad :smallfrown:

13_CBS
2007-08-30, 11:35 PM
Hats don't suit me. Believe me, I've tried about every one I come across. It makes me sad :smallfrown:

As I've suggested before, try an Asian straw hat. They look cool on just about anyone.

Jibar
2007-08-31, 01:27 AM
You know you got me there, I thought this was going to be of her dressed in a more sexy way :p
See, I'm going to use that as a particular example of a way of dressing I don't like much (leaving aside the Avrilness of it :p)

Also, "shizzle"? :S What are we, on a G-vibe or sumthin'? :smallbiggrin:

Yo, don't bust my vibe nizzle.
I was using it as an example of how she can look good in anything, y'know?

Last_resort_33
2007-08-31, 02:25 AM
If she's wearing an article of clothing that is mine, she becomes twice as attractive. I don't really know why, but once I see a girl put on my jacket/sweatshirt, she instantly becomes attractive to me.

That gets irritating when you can't actually find any boxers/shirts in the morning because she has been wearing them

zeratul
2007-08-31, 02:39 AM

Bad dailymail! Emos aren't goths! There are many differences! I as a gothish guy, and my friend as an emo discuss them!

Rykaj
2007-08-31, 08:27 AM
I can't even wear hats. I'd want to but I can't because my head is too friggin big :S

Even the biggest size hats in the store never fit me, because I have some weirdly enormous head circumference.

Quincunx
2007-08-31, 09:25 AM
Serpentine: I also have a hat-hostile jawline, and the fedora shape (medium brim) is the only one which looks close to passable; not even the swashbuckler hat with tremendous fluffy plume worked. (Sniffle.) Exceptions will, of course, be made for street festivals where one simply must have some ridiculous headgear--out comes the fuzzy pink sunhat!

Wayril
2007-08-31, 07:54 PM

I don't like my hair too much, and whenever I wear a hat people comment on my appearance, so I love hats. It's funny how even just a cap can make some good freinds and teachers have trouble recognizing me. I do need to get a really cool top hat though, cause I don't have one of those yet.

Anna Conda
2007-08-31, 09:52 PM
on guys? Smooth chests and little vests. for pants, anything that looks good. Khakis, jeans... but its gotta fit him good.

no jewellry. just ick :smallyuk:

dr.cello
2007-08-31, 09:53 PM
I feel it must be said:

I want a girl with a short skirt and a long jacket.

In re dressing like a whore, it's entirely possible we have different definitions, but the fact is there's a look common to attention whores and nymphomaniacs which really irritates me. Nothing wrong with dressing sexy; it's dressing like $2.50 on a shady street corner that bothers me. There ought to be more to your wardrobe than the idea/hope that it might malfunction. When I see someone's clothes, I'm looking for a glimpse at their personality, so if all I see is 'hi, I'm dressing so I can show off my boobs!' I generally assume that there's not much of a personality there.

Anyway, there are plenty of ways to dress sexy without showing off as much skin as possible. I think a good part of it is I always get the feeling that the girl in question lacks the creativity to make herself look good in another way, while simultaneously looking like she's trying too hard.

Rockphed
2007-09-01, 12:57 AM
I also like the slightly scruffy "I didn't shave this morning" look, but ONLY if it's obvious that you did in fact shower, comb your hair, and put on deoderant. That way the stubble is a choice and not an accident of sleeping in.

I looked like that almost everyday in high school. I wish I could say that girls fell over me for it, but I think most of them thought I was crazy. Stupid high school.

Holy_Knight
2007-09-01, 02:37 AM
There's a lot of different looks that I find appealing on women, but as for some of the main ones...

I've always thought girls looked good in tank tops, especially the spaghetti strap kind. They just seem kind of simple and flattering. As for pants, I'm not sure what they're called, but I really like a kind that has become popular recently--they're fairly form-fitting at the top (which is to say the bottom :P), and then they're kind of flowy down the legs, and flare a little bit at the end.

I also find hairbands to be quite cute, and to a lesser extent barettes, although you hardly ever see those. And although my friends make fun of me for this, I think glittery eye-shadow is pretty cute.

Dresses are nice too, especially since it seems less and less common for women to wear them nowadays. And most girls look good in jeans, of course.

All that being said, there is one time that a woman was wearing what I could plausibly describe as "the perfect outfit", and it went like this:

The top was a dark red blouse that looked somewhat medieval. The sleeves came to about halfway between her elbow and her wrist, and flared. The neckline was cut low enough to show a little bit of cleavage, but not so much that it looked trashy, just flattering. (On that note, I think that women can dress in ways which accentuate the natural beauty of their bodies, but without appearing overly sexual or slutty. I thought the blouse in question did this very well.) A simple but pretty pendant was around her neck. She wore a black, medium length skirt, and black boots that came about up to her knees. All in all, she was stylish, elegant, desirable, and beautiful, and I'm still impressed, just remembering how she looked. :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2007-09-01, 03:52 AM
Serpentine: I also have a hat-hostile jawline, and the fedora shape (medium brim) is the only one which looks close to passable; not even the swashbuckler hat with tremendous fluffy plume worked. (Sniffle.) Exceptions will, of course, be made for street festivals where one simply must have some ridiculous headgear--out comes the fuzzy pink sunhat!
I wonder if perhaps we have the same problem. My face is really round, which seems to be the main issue. Fedora-type ones (with brims on the narrowish side) get the closest, but even they have too-high head-bits. Combining my lack of headgear with my inability to look good in sunglasses or to wear them instead of my normal glasses means I'm probably doomed to melanoma and/or blindness :smallfrown:

I do need to get a really cool top hat though, cause I don't have one of those yet.
Awesome. Do it.
For the record, older-style hats = instant Interesting.

As for pants, I'm not sure what they're called, but I really like a kind that has become popular recently--they're fairly form-fitting at the top (which is to say the bottom :P), and then they're kind of flowy down the legs, and flare a little bit at the end.
I think what you're looking for there is, well, flares :smalltongue: Okay, they're not quite the 60s and 70s ones, but I like their comeback, too.

On the subject of showing lots of skin != sexy, I'd like to mention that what I think may be the sexiest thing I own is a woolen knee-length black dress with long sleeves and a turtleneck. When combined with knee-length black boots, stockings, white belt and neckscarf or knee-length faux-snakeskin boots, stockings, faux-snakeskin belt and jewellery, I feel more sexy than in my skimpiest of outfits ^_^

Altharis
2007-09-01, 05:59 AM
If there is a rule about long-sleeve over short-sleeve colour-coding, I have beaten it to a shadow of its former self....But I do colour-code short-sleeve and jumper, or jumper and pants. Sometimes.

Yes, I think we have almost unanimously expressed our love for leg-thingies, as they be most smexy...but what do you think of one leg thing over another? Discuss.

EDIT: When it comes to hats, I used to be known as the Hat KING of my area. But now I just tie my hair back instead, relying on the city smog to shield me from the sun.

Setra
2007-09-01, 07:25 AM
Dunno if this counts but.. I love ribbons in a woman's hair. Dunno why.

Also

This

FdL
2007-09-01, 12:48 PM
On the subject of showing lots of skin != sexy, I'd like to mention that what I think may be the sexiest thing I own is a woolen knee-length black dress with long sleeves and a turtleneck. When combined with knee-length black boots, stockings, white belt and neckscarf or knee-length faux-snakeskin boots, stockings, faux-snakeskin belt and jewellery, I feel more sexy than in my skimpiest of outfits ^_^

Textures that visually invite touching are very sexy, that's natural to me.

Dunno if this counts but.. I love ribbons in a woman's hair. Dunno why.

Yes, true. Hair is fun and sexy. Long braids are sexy too. Not in a Laura Ingalls style, but in a cool way. Those were what made me look at my ex-girlfriend the first time I saw her, she always did funny things with her long black hair.

wadledo
2007-09-01, 01:42 PM
A woman wearing a wide brimmed hat is always attractive to me, I don't know why.
Also if they look comfortable in what theyre wearing I can't help but smile.
And, while not clothing, a cup of some hot liquid is a big draw (though that might be because I'm thirsty.:smallwink: )

zeratul
2007-09-01, 07:29 PM
Did I mention that trench coats, combat boots, and purple hair are hot? :smalltongue:

dr.cello
2007-09-01, 07:56 PM
One of my favorite outfits ever on a girl was a simple white skirt and matching top with (probably) blue and white stripes on the hem and the cuffs of the sleeves. Her hair was black and she had it in pigtails. I called it 'gothic schoolgirl' but I don't think that's exactly the term. It was very simple but I remember it very clearly.

Tom_Violence
2007-09-01, 07:58 PM
Did I mention that trench coats, combat boots, and purple hair are hot? :smalltongue:

Why on earth would you? :smalltongue:

Dihan
2007-09-01, 08:03 PM
One of my favorite outfits ever on a girl was a simple white skirt and matching top with (probably) blue and white stripes on the hem and the cuffs of the sleeves. Her hair was black and she had it in pigtails. I called it 'gothic schoolgirl' but I don't think that's exactly the term. It was very simple but I remember it very clearly.

You mean something like Lolita (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/A_girl_with_a_lolita_fashion.jpg)? (not the best picture)

I find slim jeans on the right people attractive... The same case with studded belts.

FdL
2007-09-01, 08:38 PM
You know, the whole full "lolita" thing as done by japanese girls, with the parasol and all, it's too much for me. I can't really think of it as a way of dressing, it's more akin to cosplaying to me. Then again I'm more pragmatic when it comes to dressing. But I think if these girls are dressed like that all the time. Do they go like that to work? Are they dressed like that inside their houses? What do they wear when they go to the beach? Etc.

Now, a little of that is ok. But everytime I see a pic of them lolita girls from japan, I go "nice cosprayer!" :p

Anyone you know? ;)

dr.cello
2007-09-01, 08:44 PM
You mean something like Lolita (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/A_girl_with_a_lolita_fashion.jpg)? (not the best picture)

I find slim jeans on the right people attractive... The same case with studded belts.

No. I actually meant to differentiate--it was definitely not lolita. It was a fairly understated look. Nothing about the shirt, skirt, or hair on its own really would have stood out on its own. It wasn't stylized or anything that would raise eyebrows or draw a lot of attention.

FdL
2007-09-01, 08:50 PM
No. I actually meant to differentiate--it was definitely not lolita. It was a fairly understated look. Nothing about the shirt, skirt, or hair on its own really would have stood out on its own. It wasn't stylized or anything that would raise eyebrows or draw a lot of attention.

In other words, she had a personal style. Which is the best of cases. With so many trends and people pigeonholing themselves into one fashion tribe, it's refreshing to find people who have a style that is unmistakeably their own.

I liked your description when I read it, then my brain incorporated the lolita reference and didn't like it so much. In any case she was really cool, I liked her look.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-09-01, 09:44 PM
I know that it is a ridiculous amount of work and can be extremely uncomfortable; but I love the classical long red dress with a thigh-high slit on the side, 2 or 3 inch open-toed heels, and just enough chestal pushing-upness (but not too much) make a guy's jaw drop. I like classy dressing women; long elegant dresses; knee length skirts; that kind of thing.

On the casual side, form fitting jeans (not skin tight, just ones that are flattering without being skanky) and a sweatshirt. I just got a thing for slender girls in sweatshirts..

Amotis
2007-09-01, 09:50 PM
Red dresses (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QtgiYhu_kO0) are indeed very attractive.

...okay, maybe there's some other things adding to that video and the overall attraction. :smallamused:

Elector
2007-09-01, 10:09 PM
Sometimes the sexiest clothing is the least revealing... I mean... you don't wrap a present and only cover a fifth of the surface area... For me it is all about the mood/purpose... and who is in the clothing...

I can look a a girl in a bikini and think, "Meh"

But I can look at my finance in a old t-shirt, and pj-bottoms and think she looks wonderful.

AslanCross
2007-09-01, 10:09 PM
I find the color white very attractive on women, especially if they're tan or dark-skinned.

FdL
2007-09-01, 10:36 PM
I know that it is a ridiculous amount of work and can be extremely uncomfortable; but I love the classical long red dress with a thigh-high slit on the side, 2 or 3 inch open-toed heels, and just enough chestal pushing-upness (but not too much) make a guy's jaw drop. I like classy dressing women; long elegant dresses; knee length skirts; that kind of thing.

I concur. A classically sexy dress simply can't be beat. A breathtaking sight.

Red dresses (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QtgiYhu_kO0) are indeed very attractive.

...okay, maybe there's some other things adding to that video and the overall attraction. :smallamused:

Yeah! I actually watched it without sound and it works though :p (ok, I'll listen to it while I'm at it, but I didn't want to stop La Buena Vida at mid-Album :) )

Sometimes the sexiest clothing is the least revealing... I mean... you don't wrap a present and only cover a fifth of the surface area... For me it is all about the mood/purpose... and who is in the clothing...

Yeah, I agree to some extent. Dressing sexy doesn't necessarily have to do with showing skin. In fact I could have a girl dressed from her toes to her neck and be it totally hot. I do like tight (meh, form fitting) clothes that enhance a woman's shape. I could take that instead of a bikini. Maybe it's intellectual, because bikini it's so commonplace nowadays. But well, seduction works through the brain, no one can argue that (mine is reportedly cracked, FYI).

I can look a a girl in a bikini and think, "Meh"

But I can look at my finance in a old t-shirt, and pj-bottoms and think she looks wonderful.

Well, you're right, but let's not mix love and similar feelings in the discussion :p Of course you think your fiancee looks good in anything, it's natural :) Still it was a sweet comment to make ^^ And true in its relative way.

Short pleated skirts of soft dangly fabrics rule (http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=128) too. Rule too much for words actually.

Serpentine
2007-09-02, 12:28 AM
Good to know why you're marrying her :smallwink:

There's a guy who comes into the library regularly I really like the look of (young guy. As usual. *sigh* :smallsigh:). On a normal day, he has long hair to a little past his shoulders (alright, every day. A little too long for my tastes, but still cool), little blue/purple-tinted John Lennony glasses, boots, a long black coat annnnnd... now that I think about it, I'm not sure what he wears underneath. But it looks cool. Or, more specifically to my psyche, it looks Interesting. Plus he's friendly. Alas, yesterday it was warm, and he was reduced to jeans and a black tshirt with a picture of a knight on it (still with the sunnies and hair, though).

heretic
2007-09-02, 12:45 AM
When I see someone's clothes, I'm looking for a glimpse at their personality, so if all I see is 'hi, I'm dressing so I can show off my boobs!' I generally assume that there's not much of a personality there.

Really?

I look twice as hard for the personality, because if it is there, then you've landed a triple double? threat and that's hard to find.

I think that looking at someone's clothes to "catch a glimpse" of their personality is a bit shallow.

The way I choose what to wear:

1- Check weather.
2- Grab nearest clean T-shirt, boxers, socks and jeans/short (depending on weather) and put them on
3- Add sweatshirt if it is especially cold.

My clothes are all neutralish colors that can't possibly clash, so I don't worry about that.

And 50% of guys dress this way...and we do have personalities, they're just not expressed by our clothing selection.

dr.cello
2007-09-02, 12:56 AM
Really?

I look twice as hard for the personality, because if it is there, then you've landed a triple double? threat and that's hard to find.

Really really. If all your clothes say about you is you want me to see your boobs, I've got better things to worry about.

I think that looking at someone's clothes to "catch a glimpse" of their personality is a bit shallow.

Why? It's seldom inaccurate, in my experience, and it's helpful (if not, indeed, necessary) to understand people before talking to them. I treat someone who's dressed in very neat, obviously carefully chosen clothes a lot different from someone with torn jeans and a band shirt.

1- Check weather.
2- Grab nearest clean T-shirt, boxers, socks and jeans/short (depending on weather) and put them on
3- Add sweatshirt if it is especially cold.

My clothes are all neutralish colors that can't possibly clash, so I don't worry about that.

And 50% of guys dress this way...and we do have personalities, they're just not expressed by our clothing selection.

Oh, I can usually get a decent personality read based on something as simple as that. Clothing, I should note, is never a 'this is exactly the type of person you are,' but a 'this person will probably be sort of like this.' That is, in fact, quite often exactly how I dress (though occasionally I choose one t-shirt over another). It'd be wholly inaccurate to say that you couldn't get a good indicator of my personality from my jeans and a t-shirt.

FdL
2007-09-02, 01:19 AM
Nah, I don't agree either with the "figuring how people are by looking at how they dress".

Serpentine
2007-09-02, 01:26 AM
Eh, I assume that if someone's dressed interestingly, they're an interesting person. I don't assume that if someone isn't, they're not, but they're much less likely to catch my attention and interest. And I always have the knowledge that looks can be deceiving but, well, the first thing you see is appearance, and first impressions do count.

Lemur
2007-09-02, 02:00 AM
I has a question. Hypothetically, if a guy were to wear a jacket purely for fashion purposes, with no practical purpose required of it, what sort of thing would you want to look at? (Other than "sport coats" or whatever business men wear :smallyuk:)

Also: cavalier type hats. I suppose hats in general as well. Thoughts?

Serpentine
2007-09-02, 02:46 AM
I has a question. Hypothetically, if a guy were to wear a jacket purely for fashion purposes, with no practical purpose required of it, what sort of thing would you want to look at? (Other than "sport coats" or whatever business men wear :smallyuk:)
Long. Cool. Swirlable. Black almost always looks great, but a different colour would certainly make a nice change.

Also: cavalier type hats. I suppose hats in general as well. Thoughts?
What's a cavalier hat? And fedoras are great, as are... well, Goff has an "old-man" hat that looks pretty damn awesome on him. And another friend has a fez... Well, it's interesting, at least.

Heineken
2007-09-02, 05:56 AM
I like Glasses on Women.
Don´t know why, probably because it (usually) makes them look more intelligent.
And I like smart women.

Lemur
2007-09-02, 02:27 PM
Long. Cool. Swirlable. Black almost always looks great, but a different colour would certainly make a nice change.

What's a cavalier hat? And fedoras are great, as are... well, Goff has an "old-man" hat that looks pretty damn awesome on him. And another friend has a fez... Well, it's interesting, at least.

Any pictures or examples that come to mind? I know trenches have already been mentioned, but I wonder if there's anything else as well. This thread is making me realize I don't know the proper names for a lot different kinds of clothes :P

Cavalier hats are more or less the kind of thing you'd see a musketeer wear- a fairly wide brimmed hat, and similar things that probably go by other names as well. I like wide-brimmed hats in general- note previous comment regarding Carmen Sandiego (which applies generally to both sexes)- sometimes she's depicted wearing a fedora, other times with a wider brimmed type of hat I don't know the name of.

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-02, 11:02 PM
Glasses, long swishy skirts, t-shirts on girls. I dunno why, but I've always liked just plain t-shirts. Unless it's a dress that reveals the area around their collarbone. No, not their breasts. Above those.

Serpentine
2007-09-02, 11:13 PM
Any pictures or examples that come to mind? I know trenches have already been mentioned, but I wonder if there's anything else as well. This thread is making me realize I don't know the proper names for a lot different kinds of clothes :P

Cavalier hats are more or less the kind of thing you'd see a musketeer wear- a fairly wide brimmed hat, and similar things that probably go by other names as well. I like wide-brimmed hats in general- note previous comment regarding Carmen Sandiego (which applies generally to both sexes)- sometimes she's depicted wearing a fedora, other times with a wider brimmed type of hat I don't know the name of.
Those hats are also awesome. Especially when they come with nice long feathers.
The coats... I think they can be seen reasonably regularly in Gothic type movies (Van Helsing, Matrix, that one with the vampires and werewolves - probably any with vampires and werewolves, really -Constantine, etc), but not necessarily made of leather, not necessarily that heavy, not necessarily black... and so on.

edit: I went looking for examples, and it turns out Constantine just wore a longish suit jacket. Oh well. Anyway, here's (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mens-Fully-Lined-Full-Length-Jacket_W0QQitemZ150154601575QQihZ005QQcategoryZ156 77QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)one example, and here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-MENS-FROCK-TAIL-COAT-GOTH-VAMPIRE-VELVET-PIRATE_W0QQitemZ140152131022QQihZ004QQcategoryZ313 QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem) (heheh, vampire pirate), but they're only okay, really.

Rykaj
2007-09-03, 07:44 AM
*smitten with bafflement*

Who actually wears that stuff in real life? That would never look good! That only works in movies. Moreover, that's probably too warm even for winter! I never thought you guys were talking about those kinds of coats, I thought you meant the stylish long coats you were over your business suits.

Do you guys actually wear this or encounter people who wear that? :smalleek:

Serpentine
2007-09-03, 07:50 AM
Well... like I said, not actually that heavy, but I couldn't find what I meant. And one of those certainly wouldn't be amiss here in Armidale in winter.

Natania
2007-09-03, 10:41 AM
I form my first opinion on the way someone's dressed. I mean, if you see a certain type (say goth or punk) they give you a certain feeling. Which is of course different for each individual so it can range from "oh my god run away, run away!" to "hm he looks interesting let talk." It doesn't mean that, that opinion can't change it's just the first thing that springs to mind if I look at someone.

for guys I like the whole dress shirt and jeans thing. as long as the jeans are to tightly fitting though. I also like baggy jeans as long as it's not the whole 'hanging on my knees so everyone can see my underwear' idea. That's just wierd.

for girls anything really as long as it suits you but what is really cool is wearing a bikini top and surfer shorts...

Susil
2007-09-04, 04:01 PM
About the whole 'judge personality on someone's clothes' thing... surely a lot of people choose to dress a certain way in order to be perceved in a certain way. I mean, if you go around dressed goth, for example, you're deliberately telling people what kind of music, flims, etc you're in to, and you know that people looking at you are going to know what your interests are, and maybe make a call on what they think about you based on them. So, if you like that kinda stuff, you're likely to have common ground with someone dressed that way. I hope that makes sense..!

Also, I fully support wear what you want. A girl who wears something totally different, and completely outside of any clique will be totally attractive; it shows she knows her own mind and is confident enough not to care how people judge her, and that's sexy!

Oh, and for attractive outfits, is it too geeky to say Gryffindor robes? :smallbiggrin:

FdL
2007-09-04, 05:30 PM
About the whole 'judge personality on someone's clothes' thing... surely a lot of people choose to dress a certain way in order to be perceved in a certain way. I mean, if you go around dressed goth, for example, you're deliberately telling people what kind of music, flims, etc you're in to, and you know that people looking at you are going to know what your interests are, and maybe make a call on what they think about you based on them. So, if you like that kinda stuff, you're likely to have common ground with someone dressed that way. I hope that makes sense..!

See, I partially disagree on this point. Someone dressing "as" (goth, emo etc) will give you a general idea that is associated to the cliched view of that "social tribe". But many times that's all there is. I keep finding kids dressed as punks who don't know crap about the culture they are impersonating (that's the word), people who I easiliy surpass in the knowledge of classic punk bands and having a better collection than them (me being totally Plainclothes-Nowhere-Man).

More often than not kids just stop at the surface of it, they don't buy the culture, they buy the looks; they don't "get it" or know the point is "getting it". That's why I look down on "Avril punks" or "Green Day punks" (god, did Green Day ever invent something), etc.

And that's another point I want to make. I really, really think that you shouldn't have to dress up as one urban tribe just because you have affinity for a kind of music or a culture. I don't think life is so superficial, a costume party. I don't know, I don't want to be figured out so easily, I believe that there's more to people than how they look, even when they voluntarily slap a label across their forehead. I'm not buying it, either way.

We live in an age where image is everything. You can't just have a band that makes awesome music, you have to look the part (ridiculous). Look at bands like Pixies, where they make incredibly powerful punk-ish music, but you looked at pictures of them and are regular guys instead of being dressed up as "punks" or wearing flannel or eyeliner.

Hey, even in those superstar contests in tv, I always wonder wtf they have them dance and fool around when they're singing. When did that become a point? I mean for making music, when did being a good dancer matter, or even looking good, FCOL.

Everything is mixed up, everything is upside down :S

Oh, and for attractive outfits, is it too geeky to say Gryffindor robes? :smallbiggrin:

IRL, dude :S
Also, yes.

LCR
2007-09-04, 05:41 PM
In men: Jeans, (slim fit) shirts and T-Shirts, maybe polos, leather jackets (http://shop.hm.com/shop/do?action=viewshoppingwindow&dept=HERR_DIV_YTTER), denim jackets, corduroy jackets or trousers, scarfs, Chucks or Vans, maybe nice Italian or British leather shoes or boots, coats in the winter. Suits are also great if you have to wear them in office, otherwise you tend to be overdressed and look silly.

In women: Glasses look great, so do jeans and and tops (well, no tube tops for that matter), boots are also nice, but you have to be careful not to look like a prostitute with those (not that I don't respect their profession, but frankly, they're not very attractive to me). Actually, I like girls that are dressed "normal" (in a European sense, I haven't been to the US for a while, so I don't really know if you still think flip-flops are appropriate footwear on every occasion). It's kind of hard to describe. Let's say girls that are into indie or rock music are usually quite hot.

In general, I don't like overly preppy clothes, but I also don't like all those goths looking like they've freshly sprung out of some nightmare I wouldn't have had if there weren't so many of those gothic-wannabes around. This goes for both sexes. I know it's hard, but let's not try to impose our emotions on everybody by sporting horrible clothes.

adanedhel9
2007-09-04, 06:11 PM
More often than not kids just stop at the surface of it, they don't buy the culture, they buy the looks; they don't "get it" or know the point is "getting it". That's why I look down on "Avril punks" or "Green Day punks" (god, did Green Day ever invent something), etc.

And that's another point I want to make. I really, really think that you shouldn't have to dress up as one urban tribe just because you have affinity for a kind of music or a culture. I don't think life is so superficial, a costume party. I don't know, I don't want to be figured out so easily, I believe that there's more to people than how they look, even when they voluntarily slap a label across their forehead. I'm not buying it, either way.

I'm having a little trouble reconciling these two paragraphs. Maybe I'm just confused because never have I looked at someone and said "I like the way he dresses, I should try to dress like that" or "I think he's cool, I should try to dress like him."

So if some hypothetical person saw a picture of Green Day or Avril and decided they liked the look - not the music, not the personality, not the culture - and proceeded to dress that way, would you look down on them for not caring to go deeper, or would you shake their hand for choosing their own look despite their "tribe"?

FdL
2007-09-04, 08:03 PM
Well, what we're talking about this assuming that there is such a thing as a "culture" behind the look.

Yes, it would be pretty weird, because even if s/he did it just to go for the look, people would assume things based on it (we're talking about emo/punk/goth which are strong looks visually). The same would happen if you wore dreadlocks and reggae/rastafarian inspired clothes and accesories, hip-hop/gangsta clothes, etc.
It's like wearing a sports jersey and not liking the sport, just the design or the colors, not even being a supporter for the team. It's ok, but some clothing items and style choices send a message too.
Same with wearing any t-shirt for a band or movie or something you're not a fan of or don't even know.

So yeah, I take into account the fact that there is such thing as "tribes", but that doesn't mean I personally like it. That's how you reconcile my post.

You can be a part of the culture without the look, but IMHO not have the look without being part of the culture; it's like you're posing, trying to pass as something you're not, playing with how people perceive you.

I think people should have their own look. I think this is actually difficult to do because we all have so many influences, but definitely the other extreme is to assimilate yourself into a tribe and wear their uniform.

Reinboom
2007-09-04, 08:38 PM
Well, what we're talking about this assuming that there is such a thing as a "culture" behind the look.

Yes, it would be pretty weird, because even if s/he did it just to go for the look, people would assume things based on it (we're talking about emo/punk/goth which are strong looks visually). The same would happen if you wore dreadlocks and reggae/rastafarian inspired clothes and accesories, hip-hop/gangsta clothes, etc.
It's like wearing a sports jersey and not liking the sport, just the design or the colors, not even being a supporter for the team. It's ok, but some clothing items and style choices send a message too.
Same with wearing any t-shirt for a band or movie or something you're not a fan of or don't even know.

So yeah, I take into account the fact that there is such thing as "tribes", but that doesn't mean I personally like it. That's how you reconcile my post.

You can be a part of the culture without the look, but IMHO not have the look without being part of the culture; it's like you're posing, trying to pass as something you're not, playing with how people perceive you.

I think people should have their own look. I think this is actually difficult to do because we all have so many influences, but definitely the other extreme is to assimilate yourself into a tribe and wear their uniform.
I agree and disagree. To clearly define something on oneself without supporting/knowing it is rather annoying. I can't stand all the people who wear AC/DC shirts who don't even know who AC/DC are. There are quite a few like this.
What I disagree with is styles. What if how I wish to look covers a certain type/style of a group? I don't like people assuming I belong to something based on a style. I may just find it nice to wear.
I've run into the bad end of the assumption line, with people asking me for drugs just because of what I was wearing at the time. :smallsigh:
For one: I really reallly reallllly like gothic aristocrat and gothic lollita. I am not gothic. These are just styles to me however, why should I define myself as something just to put on a style?

Brickwall
2007-09-04, 08:45 PM
I would like to get back on topic. Here's mine.

Band uniforms. They look flashy and maybe silly, but an attractive woman will look quite attractive in an all-covering band uniform, complete with feathered hat and instrument. Awesome.

Albub
2007-09-08, 06:54 PM
I'm still in high school and haven't had much exposure, (though to be honest, there are some well dressed girls at my school) but I saw this girl in a black knee length sun dress. It's hard to describe, but it had a thin strap going around the neck, showed off the girl's collarbone and a bit of cleavage, not too revealing though, and had no back down to the small of her back. She also had tig ol' bitties, but the dress itself was more than enough to drop my jaw.

I tend to wear all kinds of clothes, though nothing to radical. I rock the polos frequently, but I'm just as likely to wear a long sleeve t, or even the odd hoody. I like clothes that fit me well, sleeves maybe halfway to my elbow, tight 'round the torso and stomach and only down to the waist of my jeans. I wear board shorts all the time when it's warm, but usually I wear jeans. It helps that I'm built for Abercrombie clothing (tall, big ass, thin) which is my favourite clothes brand. Girls tend to like how I look, though the fact that I'm confident and gorgeous:smallwink: could have something to do with that as well. I once rocked a policeman uniform. I had been wearing it for the musical and rather than getting changed I headed to class with it on. Drama class mind you, but I got more than a few "I love a man in uniform." comments in the halls.

Cyrano
2007-09-08, 07:12 PM
Buttoned shirts. I don't care what you're wearing on or over them, male or female, shirts with buttons. I'm not necessarily talking about the kind that you leave unbuttoned at the top to look more revealing, either. You can be more concealed than an Eskimo and if you're wearing a buttoned shirt I love you.

Brickwall
2007-09-08, 08:03 PM
Buttoned shirts. I don't care what you're wearing on or over them, male or female, shirts with buttons. I'm not necessarily talking about the kind that you leave unbuttoned at the top to look more revealing, either. You can be more concealed than an Eskimo and if you're wearing a buttoned shirt I love you.

I assume you mean full-button-up shirts and not just any shirt with buttons? Because the second would be a lot of shirts.

Cyrano
2007-09-08, 08:17 PM
The kinds with buttoned wrists are not buttoned shirts. They are buttoncuffs, as I affectionately term them. Of course I mean full button shirts, specifically the sort of thin, comfortable variety that is excellent in summer.

Brickwall
2007-09-08, 08:22 PM
The kinds with buttoned wrists are not buttoned shirts. They are buttoncuffs, as I affectionately term them. Of course I mean full button shirts, specifically the sort of thin, comfortable variety that is excellent in summer.

Soo...http://www.headshopsupply.com/images/hemp-clothing/hemp-clothes.jpg?

Or more like http://www.undaerospace.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/Dress%20Shirt%20Short%20Sleeve%20Image_2.jpg?

Cyrano
2007-09-08, 08:23 PM
Eh, neither one of them is exactly what I'm thinking of, but both are close enough to get me attracted.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-09-10, 06:13 AM
I've always been fond of black cloaks of absolute darkness actually. Failing that something else black. It's really the accessories I notice (such as a scythe)

Serpentine
2007-09-10, 08:19 AM
Sooo... as long as you can't see her, you're good? Nice.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-09-10, 08:23 AM
Sooo... as long as you can't see her, you're good? Nice.

Well, it was that or something about Valkyries. But I think that ones been done:smallwink:

Although I don't mind corsets, on others. But War is very pro feminist, so I try not to mention that.

Also, any one who is a feminist shouldn't open the following spoiler

How many feminist's does it take to change a light bulb?
It dosen't matter, feminist's can't change anything!:smallbiggrin:

Ah, you got to love the classic jokes.

Argent
2007-09-10, 12:10 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but jeans pretty much look good on any girl. Spandex DOES NOT!

Not categorically true on either account. Well-cut jeans look good on women (well, on men too, for that matter), but the problem with the current jeans look is that the low-riding waist tends to create a, well, muffin top look if you're not in perfect shape. Even women who are in very good shape can look kinda muffiny in those jeans -- I fault the style of clothing rather than any lack of physical fitness on the woman's part.

And women can look very, very good in spandex; give me a woman in a racing swimsuit or running tights and I'm a happy camper.

For me, the clothing hot buttons I love on women tend to be:
- Glasses, especially with hair pulled back: the "hot librarian" look
- Skirts with black boots
- Tailored button-downs and I like the 3/4 sleeve length thing

FdL
2007-09-10, 02:04 PM
Agree, though I sometimes crave a little of muffin top too :smallsmile:

- Hot librarian? Hell yeah.
- Skirts with boots? Right on (if you add stockings)
- If a tailored button-down shirt with 3/4 sleeves is what I have in mind right now, then it's on too.

Raiser Blade
2007-09-11, 12:46 AM
Personally i prefer the classic "Birthday Suit".

>_>

What can say i'm a man of simple tastes. :smalltongue: