PDA

View Full Version : Contagion - The Legendary Resistance killer?

Greywander
2018-03-11, 04:03 PM
As I understand it, when it was clarified that Contagion doesn't affect the target until after three failed CON saves, this spell dropped in value a bit. After all, most fights would be over after three rounds. But there's one situation where I think Contagion would really shine: eating up a boss monster's Legendary Resistance.

I'm already assuming that a boss fight is going to last more than three rounds. Save or suck spells would be really handy, but sadly Legendary Resistance will prevent these from taking hold. What if there was a way to burn all three of their legendary resistances with just one spell? Now, if they make the save anyway, they won't need to burn a legendary resistance on it. And a lot of monsters have a high CON score. Still, it seems like this spell would give you one of the best spell slot to legendary save ratio if you're trying to wear down those legendary saves so you can get in a real save or suck spell.

What other tactics could be used to wear down the legendary resistance of a creature?

Hesh
2018-03-11, 04:17 PM
Monks spamming Stunning Strike while a lethal Dex Save spell wielder threatens on a none Stun immune boss.

Greywander
2018-03-11, 04:23 PM
Good catch, especially since monks can use flurry of blows to stunning strike three times per round.

Lombra
2018-03-11, 05:59 PM
Good catch, especially since monks can use flurry of blows to stunning strike three times per round.

*four actually

MaxWilson
2018-03-11, 06:18 PM
As I understand it, when it was clarified that Contagion doesn't affect the target until after three failed CON saves, this spell dropped in value a bit. After all, most fights would be over after three rounds. But there's one situation where I think Contagion would really shine: eating up a boss monster's Legendary Resistance.

I'm already assuming that a boss fight is going to last more than three rounds. Save or suck spells would be really handy, but sadly Legendary Resistance will prevent these from taking hold. What if there was a way to burn all three of their legendary resistances with just one spell? Now, if they make the save anyway, they won't need to burn a legendary resistance on it. And a lot of monsters have a high CON score. Still, it seems like this spell would give you one of the best spell slot to legendary save ratio if you're trying to wear down those legendary saves so you can get in a real save or suck spell.

The proper way to use legendary resistance against Contagion is ONLY after you've already failed two saves. Contagion is therefore bad at burning legendary resists.