PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Body outside body - Wu jen spell - Question

F9V
2018-03-12, 06:02 AM
Hi guys,

I have a question for you about this spell: Body outside body, Wu jen spell in the complete arcane book.
Basically i would need a clarification about the first sentence:
"This spell creates one or more indistinguishable duplicates of you, all of which share your ability scores, personality, class levels, skills, feats, and memories."
My question is: if i have a <n> times per day ability and i cast this spell and then i use that ability... does the number daily uses of the ability decrease even for my clones? Because, due to the word "share", i thought the answer was yes because you are like magically "linked" to your clones, but for some of my friends in our last session, it was not.

Thank you for your time!

noce
2018-03-12, 06:14 AM
They share your ability scores, but if your strength is drained their won't decrease.

Similarly, if you have, say, Stunning Fist and use it, their uses per day won't decrease.

Jack_Simth
2018-03-12, 06:26 AM
Hi guys,

I have a question for you about this spell: Body outside body, Wu jen spell in the complete arcane book.
Basically i would need a clarification about the first sentence:
"This spell creates one or more indistinguishable duplicates of you, all of which share your ability scores, personality, class levels, skills, feats, and memories."
My question is: if i have a <n> times per day ability and i cast this spell and then i use that ability... does the number daily uses of the ability decrease even for my clones? Because, due to the word "share", i thought the answer was yes because you are like magically "linked" to your clones, but for some of my friends in our last session, it was not.

Thank you for your time!

In general? No, they're not pulling resources from you.

However, do keep in mind that when it comes to spell-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities), they've got a list of exceptions, but beyond those: "In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell." While it's not explicitly on the list of things mentioned after that, in theory this should also include not being able to use spell-like abilities when something restricts you from casting spells (such as when you're a BOB clone).

F9V
2018-03-13, 04:37 AM
Hi guys,

thank you for your answers, i was really wrong... but I have a final question about it.
What if i have daily uses of an ability (like for example, stunning fist 3 times per day), i use it once and then i cast body outside body? Do the clones have only 2 daily uses of such ability or do they have the original 3 times per day?

Thank you again!

Uncle Pine
2018-03-13, 05:58 AM
Hi guys,

thank you for your answers, i was really wrong... but I have a final question about it.
What if i have daily uses of an ability (like for example, stunning fist 3 times per day), i use it once and then i cast body outside body? Do the clones have only 2 daily uses of such ability or do they have the original 3 times per day?

Thank you again!

As I read it, they'd have only 2 daily uses remaining. However, if a clone uses stunning fist after being created both your uses and the other clones' wouldn't be affected.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-03-13, 08:58 AM
In general? No, they're not pulling resources from you.

However, do keep in mind that when it comes to spell-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellLikeAbilities), they've got a list of exceptions, but beyond those: "In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell." While it's not explicitly on the list of things mentioned after that, in theory this should also include not being able to use spell-like abilities when something restricts you from casting spells (such as when you're a BOB clone).

"Functions like a spell" does not mean "counts as a spell".
See Complete Arcane p. 18 (Warlocks and Prestige Classes) and p. 72 (Spellcasting Level) for clear RAW on that. Spell-like abilities are not and don't count as spells. There's no ambiguity whatsoever.

Jack_Simth
2018-03-13, 06:39 PM
"Functions like a spell" does not mean "counts as a spell".
See Complete Arcane p. 18 (Warlocks and Prestige Classes) and p. 72 (Spellcasting Level) for clear RAW on that. Spell-like abilities are not and don't count as spells. There's no ambiguity whatsoever.
You're looking at...

A warlock cannot qualify for prestige classes with spellcasting level requirements, as he never actually learns to cast spells. However, prestige classes with caster level requirements, such as the acolyte of the skin, are well suited to the warlock. A warlock’s caster level for his invocations fulfills this requirement. See page 71 in Chapter 3 for more details on caster level requirements, spellcasting level requirements, and specific spell requirements for feats and prestige classes.
and

Characters or creatures that use spell-like abilities or invocations never learn the arcane circumlocutions of logic and mental training necessary for advanced spellcasting. As such, requirements for feats and prestige classes based on specific levels of spells cast (“Able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells,” for example) cannot be met by spell-like abilities or invocations—not even spell-like abilities or invocations that allow a character to use a specific arcane spell of the appropriate level or higher.?

It just says you can't meet feat or PrC requirements that way. It doesn't otherwise override the general definition from spell-like abilities. Body Outside Body is neither a feat nor a prestige class.

sleepyphoenixx
2018-03-14, 08:54 AM
You're looking at...

and
?

It just says you can't meet feat or PrC requirements that way. It doesn't otherwise override the general definition from spell-like abilities. Body Outside Body is neither a feat nor a prestige class.

I think it's fairly clear from the quoted text that spell-likes don't count as spells.
And nothing in the general descriptions for spell-likes contradicts that, because as i said "functions like a spell" is not the same thing as "counts as a spell".
This isn't an exception to a general rule that says otherwise. In fact there are quite a few instances that distinguish between the two (like metamagic feats) and none i can recall that say they're the same thing.

If you have any rule anywhere that contradicts that i'd like a quote, because in the face of numerous rules that specify otherwise a bit of vague wording doesn't cut it imo.