PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2nd Ed does 2nd still have support by users.

Amdy_vill
2018-03-12, 07:13 AM
so does 2nd still have support by users like well made home brew and rule fixes

knag
2018-03-12, 09:06 AM
Some. 2e is a little lost in the OSR, too late to be considered entirely "old school", but to early to have OGL content like 3e. Most of the OSR (Old School Renaissance) retro-clone games are clones of Original D&D, Basic D&D, or AD&D (1e). The only 2e retro-clone I know of is For Gold and Glory, so there's that, and you could check it out. That said, 2e, particularly early 2e material, is just a clean-up of 1e and the systems are quite compatible. So any new material put out for, say OSRIC, is totally usable in a 2e campaign. Dragonsfoot.org also has a fairly active 2e board where people discuss home brew rules and such, and in general is a great site for folks interested in playing TSR-era D&D.

thorr-kan
2018-03-12, 10:04 AM
Dragonsfoot.org has been mentioned.

The thepiazza.org.uk is a separate forum that sees steady activity.

There's a metric ton of Facebook pages, some more active than others.

And there's drivethrurpg and the whole catalog of TSR/WotC 2ED library in all it's glory.

LibraryOgre
2018-03-12, 10:55 AM
And, of course, folks around here talk about and post stuff a lot. I have some 2e-compatible stuff on my blog (http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/search/label/ad%26d), and post the occasional bit in Homebrew. AND, because 1e and 2e are so compatible, you can use a lot of 1e stuff without much alteration.

CE DM
2018-03-12, 03:54 PM
Less than most other editions, but enough one can find all the advice they might want

MeeposFire
2018-03-12, 04:17 PM
And, of course, folks around here talk about and post stuff a lot. I have some 2e-compatible stuff on my blog (http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/search/label/ad%26d), and post the occasional bit in Homebrew. AND, because 1e and 2e are so compatible, you can use a lot of 1e stuff without much alteration.

While there are some important differences between AD&D and D&D like in the Rulescyclopedia they are also very compatible. I remember running an AD&D 2e game using an adventure for RC D&D and at the time not knowing that it was not for AD&D though I did notice some weird things such as all the elves seemed to have a class of elf but I just thought it was just short hand to not have to describe each combo of classes each time and the fact they were all fighter/mages was a coincidence (I was young so sue me).

LibraryOgre
2018-03-12, 05:55 PM
While there are some important differences between AD&D and D&D like in the Rulescyclopedia they are also very compatible. I remember running an AD&D 2e game using an adventure for RC D&D and at the time not knowing that it was not for AD&D though I did notice some weird things such as all the elves seemed to have a class of elf but I just thought it was just short hand to not have to describe each combo of classes each time and the fact they were all fighter/mages was a coincidence (I was young so sue me).

All the TSR versions are fairly compatible, so long as you pick a ruleset and go with it (even if your ruleset winds up mixed and matched). It creates a great breadth of material to work with.

Scots Dragon
2018-03-12, 06:29 PM
All the TSR versions are fairly compatible, so long as you pick a ruleset and go with it (even if your ruleset winds up mixed and matched). It creates a great breadth of material to work with.

I wind up with a weird mishmash of rules from all of the TSR editions personally, plus a few elements of a couple of retroclones (Hackmaster is a big one), but it still kinda works since the system's so heavily modular.