PDA

View Full Version : Which dip is best for wizard of these?

ZorroGames
2018-03-12, 10:39 AM
Theory crafting I admit:

A) Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Fighter 2/Wizard X

B) Cleric 1/Wizard 5/possibly Cleric 2/Wizard X
* Life or Tempest or War or Forge or Grave Cleric

Obviously Heavy Armor a potential factor; potentially Domains, healing and other utility spells.

Lombra
2018-03-12, 10:41 AM
It depends. A fellow player of mine went full flavour and dipped his divination wizard with a level of knowledge cleric, he's our encyclopedia now.

Iados
2018-03-12, 10:47 AM
The answer depends on many factors, the two most important ones being:

1) What is your party's composition?

2) What role will be the most enjoyable one for you?

Aett_Thorn
2018-03-12, 10:51 AM
If Heavy Armor is a factor, Fighter levels make you less MAD. If you go Cleric, you'll need Str, Con, Int, and Wis to be effective. Going Fighter removes the Wis requirements, which might help.

smcmike
2018-03-12, 11:09 AM
If Heavy Armor is a factor, Fighter levels make you less MAD. If you go Cleric, you'll need Str, Con, Int, and Wis to be effective. Going Fighter removes the Wis requirements, which might help.

Unless you play a dwarf, who can drop strength somewhat. This limits intelligence, of course.

Galadhrim
2018-03-12, 01:35 PM
Theory crafting I admit:

Obviously Heavy Armor a potential factor; potentially Domains, healing and other utility spells.

Personally I prefer a cleric dip for wizards. It's all about spells known and spells available to cast (full slot progression)

Citan
2018-03-12, 06:07 PM
Theory crafting I admit:

I'd say it really depends.

If you need to be more versatile, especially have some healing, then Cleric is by far the best way to go. And I'd say you might as well go Tempest 2 that way so you can at least maximize the damage of some AOE even if you're not Evoker.

Otherwise?
For a single-level dip, if you can afford CHA, Draconic Sorcerer is much better than Fighter: in addition to the Constitution proficiency, you get a decent AC for free, 2 more spells that you would have learned and prepared otherwise as Wizard anyways, and four more cantrips to expand your utility. And IF Stone Sorcerer is allowed, then you get the cherry on cake, thanks to CON-based AC.

For a 2-level dip, Fighter is probably better in the long run simply because the ability to cast 2 spells in a single turn with Action Surge is awesome once you can afford that kind of nova expense.
Because of that, I'd take the second level of Fighter at least after Wizard 8 (4th level spells and ASI).

sithlordnergal
2018-03-12, 07:13 PM
I currently have both a Fighter 1 / Wizard x and a Cleric 1 / Wizard x.

Out of the two, I find that the Fighter 1/Wizard x is tankier simply because he can snag the defense fighting style, bring him up to a natural ac of 21 with plate and shield, and can be boosted to 26, and Blur can force disadvantage I dumped my strength, because you are only losing 10 feet of movement. Not a big deal for a rear line caster.

My cleric/wizard is a Life Cleric, and is still tanky, but not quite as tanky. But he is a great back up healer thanks to the life cleric ability.