PDA

View Full Version : 4th edition predictions

fireinthedust
2007-08-29, 08:28 PM
Here's what I predict and why I think it'll be there, for the 4th edition. Predict your own thoughts, if you've got 'em, and we'll see what comes out.

hero/action points are going to be part of this game. Why? Bill Slavisek (spelling?) is in charge. He's made Star Wars d20, Eberron, d20 Modern... basically he's big on these guys, and this will enshrine them.

things will be like d20 modern in general; I've heard that they're doing away with feats and prcs in favor of more general talent trees. This is d20 modern/future/etc., except it'll be fantasy-style. This I figured bc. of Bill Slavisek, but I've heard rumours to this effect. That and in Dragon they had dozens of alternate swap-a-level features for various classes (ie: instead of a Barbarian's fast movement, the halfling can take, like, scent or something).

new races Okay, I suspect they'll bring up something popular that hasn't been made into a regularly playable DnD race: drow will be fixed, for example, and Githyanki r Githzerai (or both) will be made generic. That or some Eberron races. Oh, and something that's big (like Goliaths or Minotaurs) to balance out the midget races like dwarves gnomes and halflings (not to mention shortish elves). Maybe they'll put in a fuzzy race, like tiger people or wolfmen (or Cat women). Something anime, though tolkien-able.

Classes I doubt they'll get away from the core classes much, although now they'll have the talent trees to replace PrCs; that's where variation's going to be. I suspect Artificer will be made PHB, and psionics (Cordell is already on the list of contributors, as is Baker).
ECL is supposed to go, so they'll have monster levels maybe; like savage species but less... y'know.
On that note, I predict at least an overhaul of templates; at most they'll get rid of the concept and just say "add these monster levels".

settings will be changed a bunch, like seems to be happening with FR. Maybe Eberron will get another war, or something, maybe not.
However, I think they'll have a settings competition for 4th edition.

My thoughts: I'm abit annoyed, though I understand the changeover. Heck, the computer-table looks great. I hope they fix it up for pbp games so I can take turns with you lot!

TheOOB
2007-08-29, 09:12 PM
They are not removing feats, they have said that the feat structure will be radically different, but there will be feats, plus they haven't mentioned anything about talents, thats just something people are predicting based on Star Wars SAGA edition. Classes will all have powers though, not just casters.

They will most likely not bring back the artificer, they are focusing on balance and the artificer is inherently unbalanced. There will be PrCs, and most will start to be available around level 10.

Roland St. Jude
2007-08-29, 09:19 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please take this to one of the (several) other 4e threads. Thanks.