PDA

View Full Version : Moon druid paladin or moon druid barbarian?

Seekergeek
2018-03-12, 05:57 PM
So I'm currently playing in a particularly lethal ToA run. We've just located Umo and are, as a party, all around level 5 or 6. I have suffered a number of close calls to this point and I think it is probably prudent to start arriving with a backup. Currently I'm running a hexblade/divine soul sorcerer and I would like to maintain that gishy feel. Initially I thought a tortle light cleric might make a fun option for that since AC wouldn't be as much of a consideration, but then we fought some Deinonychus which got me thinking a moon druid could be a lot of fun given the local fauna.

My question has become, then, whether or not I would be well suited to multiclass between druid and paladin or druid and barbarian or maybe even both. I've got the wiggle room in my stats to manage a 13 in str and cha along with a decent wis.

If I plan to use my spell slots for smites and in-wildshape healing, what should my stat priority be? My spread is 7, 12, 13, 13, 15, 17 which seems to make standard human an appealing option. From a roleplay perspective I can somehow justify a brutally low int as a shape-shifting wildman so that's probably where the 7 will wind up.

Option number 3, I guess, would be a 2 druid/2 paladin/1 barbarian split in order to have my cake and eat it to, but considering I want this to be online from the word go, will I miss those spell slots to burn more than I'll enjoy the benefits of rage?

Sinon
2018-03-12, 09:26 PM
Well, before jumping in, I’d like to ask:

Why are you multiclassing at all?

Rage or smiting, yes, they are fun, but staying a straight moon druid (level 5) gets you third-level spells. (Conjure Animals, anyone?)

At level six, not that far away, you’d get CR 2 wildshape forms, like an Allosaurus, which is probably a bit stronger than even a raging Deinonychus.

You also get your ASI this way.

Out of Wildshape, you can stick that 7 in Strength, and you’re still able to do ok in melee with your cantrips (Shillelagh) while being a full caster.

If Rage or Smiting is all you’re looking for, I don’t think it is worth it.

Seekergeek
2018-03-12, 09:48 PM
Yeah, fair question. “For fun” is the best reason I can give. I like the variability of getting to somehow spice up the attack routine, even if it is just for more damage from time to time.

prototype00
2018-03-12, 09:56 PM
I hear the Bear totem Barbarian/moon druid combo is quite tanky with a lot of HP.

HMS Invincible
2018-03-12, 10:17 PM
Yeah, fair question. “For fun” is the best reason I can give. I like the variability of getting to somehow spice up the attack routine, even if it is just for more damage from time to time.

I hear the Bear totem Barbarian/moon druid combo is quite tanky with a lot of HP.

The guides recommend barb 3 dip, or a monk 1 dip, or just straight druid. It doesn't matter nearly as much since TOA ends at level 10-13.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?545558-5e-Druid-Handbook-Dreams-Land-Moon-and-Shepherd
Be sure to read the latest (separately searched on google) guides on wildshape. The info here can be woefully out of date.

Snowbluff
2018-03-13, 07:11 AM
I've played a moon druid bear barbarian in ToA. It's quite good. Being a bucket of HP is great. Also buffs AC a little for some creatures, or quite well if you have an Amulet of Health.

I haven't tried monk, but I've seen it played. Getting the most out of monk usually mean getting your DM to agree that natural weapons are unarmed attacks.

I haven't tried it with paladin either, but I can tell you have 2 levels of paladin will give you a good amount of damage output. I always wanted to try 6 paladin moon druid to be a saves and HP monster. :P