PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next First Time: Animated Armor Race

Grear Bylls
2018-03-12, 07:32 PM
Hey guys! This is my first time in this part of the playground! Please let me know what you think

Edited with some alterations, due to suggestions below (thanks for those!). Please leave more!

Sentient Animated Armor: Player Race

Animated armor is normally imbued with mild sentience, just enough to perform menial and simple tasks. However, when you were formed, the wizard who created your intellect made it much more intelligent than normal, allowing you to perform much more complex tasks, and of your own volition.

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution modifier increases by 1.
Size: Your size is Medium
Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Darkvision: At the cost of your high intellect, your creator was forced to downgrade your vision abilities. You have Darkvision to a range of 60 feet.
Construct Capabilities: You don't need to breathe, eat, or drink. You are also immune to Poison damage. However, you are incapable of wearing armor.
Antimagic Susceptibility: While in an area of antimagic, you are incapacitated. If you are targeted by a Dispel Magic spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw against the caster's spell save DC or fall unconscious for a minute.
Languages: You can speak and understand common.
Armor Type: You are a type of animated armor: Studded Leather, Halfplate, or Plate

Studded Leather:
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity increases by 2.
Animated Form: Your Armor Class is equal to 12 + your Dexterity modifier. While motionless, you look like a suit of Studded Leather Armor.
Light Movement: Your base walking speed is 35 feet.

Halfplate:
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score and Constitution score each increases by 1.
Animated Form: Your Armor Class is equal to 15 + your Dexterity Modifier, to a maximum of 17. While motionless, you look like a suit of Halfplate armor. However, you also disadvantage on Stealth checks.
Moderate Movement: Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Plate:
Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2.
Animated Form: Your Armor Class is equal to 18. While motionless, you look like a suit of Plate armor. However, you also disadvantage on Stealth checks.
Heavy Blows: Your Unarmed Strike uses a d6 for damage.

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-03-13, 04:02 AM
Hey, this is a neat idea, but you're gonna need another rewrite. Blindsight is STUPID good, drop it. And the Dex and Str changes aren't how 5e structures such things.

Reduce Blindsight to Darkvision, and change the Dexterity and Strength improvements to conform with the game (Your AC becomes 10+Dex+2).

Morphic tide
2018-03-13, 05:39 AM
My immediate instinct is that it's badly formatted. The "Types of Armor" field should be a subrace attachment, such that more exotic animated armor can be used (for example, an armor-mimick that gets to be an Aberration instead of a Construct and thus much more easily healable) and you can go with one decently specific example case instead of just types of armor.

Blackbando
2018-03-13, 06:22 AM
[...] change the Dexterity and Strength improvements to conform with the game (Your AC becomes 10+Dex+2).

I don't really get why you're putting the AC in quotation marks, here. Sure, it's a perfectly valid point, but the context of your previous sentence isn't the same. Just kinda seems odd.

I also disagree; +1 for the main race and +2 for the subraces is perfectly valid, in my opinion, and was even done by Wizards for the Gith UA. Now, only +1 for the Half-Plate subrace while the rest get +2? That's a bad idea.